Changes: Forum:Anti-Wikia Alliance

Edit

Back to page

(1000+ pages)
(Editing a gallery)
Line 255: Line 255:

File:Somanyads.png|By Smiley12 again...

File:Somanyads.png|By Smiley12 again...

Article is Key.png|"Article is Key Ofcourse"...

Article is Key.png|"Article is Key Ofcourse"...
  +
Narutowikioasis.jpg|By Naruto Wiki

</gallery>

</gallery>

Revision as of 03:41, October 1, 2010

This page has backups; being a high staff attack risk page.

In the event of an extreme staff attack, this alliance page will be moved to ShoutWiki, along with 100s of wikis.

Please note: this page is not a petition. This is just a list of users/wikis to keep track, and possibly to give the Wikia staff a different perspective.

AWA

Disclaimer: This forum page is for comments discussed by a group of users that call themselves the "Anti-Wikia Alliance," or AWA. The alliance will be here for discussion purposes, as all moves will be on other wikis hosts. The other half of this page, the List of Wikis Moving, is simply here for informational purposes, to keep track of a list of wikis planning to switch to a Wikia alternative due to the switch to The New Look, Wikia, or Oasis (whatever the staff prefers to call it.) Wikia in this case can refer either to the New Look, or to the design team for Wikia, inc. The users that contribute to this page decline any liability for its content or any disturbances it may cause.

Anti-Wikia Alliance
AWA
The AWA logo
Name: Anti-Wikia Alliance (AWA)
Founders: Smiley12
Airhogs777 (co-founder)
Slogan: Give me Monaco or give me death!
Created: 17:32, September 29, 2010
AWA

Comments

Wanna say a few words why? Please express your feelings.

I HATE THE NEW SKIN!

• Get rid of the new look–Unregistered contributor~aka~X~
  • It's just too confusing. ♥misstditylerfan|Talk|Contributions♥ 20:22, September 30, 2010 (UTC)
  • The new skin is rubbish. It's harder to navigate/use, and looks awful. It's just for advertising. Instead of being (for example) Red Dead Wiki (hosted by Wikia), it now gives the feeling of Wikia - Red Dead Wiki. Monaco is the most user friendly AND eye friendly MediaWiki skin I've ever seen, and is the only reason I've ever stuck around Wikia through updates that have made wiki life frustrating/more difficult. This time they've gone too far.
WIKIA!!! presents: Red Dead Wiki --Smiley12 was here at 02:22, October 1, 2010 (UTC)

Wikis Moving

• Who removed all of those other wikis moving?! The point of this is to show many wikis are moving n the first place! Just, like, put a * next to wikis with over 1k article content. --Havoc'48 01:03, September 30, 2010 (UTC)
Wikia doesn't care if a small wiki leaves, but when major ones start leaving, then that's when they start having second thoughts about this skin, don't worry, there'll be plenty of big wikis interested in leaving. --Smiley12 was here at 01:13, September 30, 2010 (UTC)
You sound like a staff member. --Havoc'48 01:34, September 30, 2010 (UTC)
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!! The last thing I want to be is wikia staff, I've lost total respect for them because of this. --Smiley12 was here at 01:41, September 30, 2010 (UTC)
Just stop avoiding the point. Get the other minor wikis in. Do it. --Havoc'48 01:46, September 30, 2010 (UTC)
Also who keeps randomizing the header order? Galleries belong at the bottom of pages. --Havoc'48 01:48, September 30, 2010 (UTC)
There. Fixed the errors --Smiley12 was here at 01:54, September 30, 2010 (UTC)
Some of the wikis in the leaving list were added by an unregistered contributor. Without permission from the actual wikis. (See page history. I have contacted some admins of big wikis though. --Smiley12 was here at 01:55, September 30, 2010 (UTC)
You can now add your wiki with 50+ pages.
Unregistered Contributor~aka~X~: I've left messages on the talk pages of admins on the Ed, Edd n Eddy Wiki and the Simpsons wiki.
I'm an admin on the Simpsons Wiki (Wikisimpsons) and we are strongly considering it! --Smiley12 was here at 02:40, September 30, 2010 (UTC)
Bleach Wiki is considering the move a little more highly right now. Only one admin is in full support with another one who has not made up his mind. I am only a policy and standards committee member there(basically a moderator) but I support the moveGod (Pray) 04:11, September 30, 2010 (UTC)

(reset indent) Good job but the page needs serious organization. --Havoc'48 21:19, September 30, 2010 (UTC)

Bleach Wiki

We all at Bleach Wiki are dissapointed with the decision to move forward with this mandatory update. October 6 is the test date, we will see just how the Wiki functions under the new look...if it can be worked with and if it becomes too much of an issue (and much of our data is sacrificed because of it), then we will make an informed decision about picking up and moving somewhere else. Until then, keep up your work guys and don't be discouraged...TVthePunisher 01:23, September 30, 2010 (UTC)

Bleach Wiki is considering its options. We will wait for the test date to see if we can make the wiki so we do not have to sacrifice our information but if there is no way to do so, we may leave. We are looking into shoutwiki and even just Mediawiki. we will see how things go--God (Pray) 02:39, September 30, 2010 (UTC)

Hopefully we won't have to move, but at this point I'm not very optimistic. TheDevilHand888 03:00, September 30, 2010 (UTC)

Bleach Fanfiction Wiki

It seems that we at BFF are pulling out too. We're sick of the staff not listening to us and we're going to take things into our own hands and get a fresh start on Shout Wiki. ---Ten Tailed Fox talk page 03:00, October 1, 2010 (UTC)

My Lego Network Wiki

Anyone know if they're leaving for certain? --Smiley12 was here at 02:49, September 30, 2010 (UTC)

No, we aren't, and that had nothing to do with the new skin. ajr 03:02, September 30, 2010 (UTC)
We aren't moving, we're just annoyed that the shoutbox is going. Some of our editors may even leave...
Kjhf.gif Kjhf (Talkative?) Contribs 17:43, September 30, 2010 (UTC)

WoWWiki

WoWWiki - third largest wiki and the largest encyclopedic wiki on Wikia - is a definite possibility for a fork - see wowwiki:Forum:Should WoWWiki leave Wikia? for discussion. That page includes a pro/con list that might be helpful to other wikis. --Pcj (TC) 03:11, September 30, 2010 (UTC)

If WoWWiki leaves, Wikia would be gutted. ☆The Solar Dragon☆ 05:21, September 30, 2010 (UTC)
Thank you pcj, get Wowwiki to move, it will show wikia that without the community, they are nothing. :) --Seahorseruler (Talk Page) (Contribs) 12:50, September 30, 2010 (UTC)

GuildWiki

We at GuildWiki (#9 on the wikia traffic list) are extremely disappointed in Wikia's absolute failure to live up to the commitments they made to our community when they acquired GuildWiki in 2007. We are strongly considering leaving Wikia for greener pastures. See http://guildwars.wikia.com/wiki/GuildWiki_talk:Community_Portal/Leaving_Wikia. Felix Omni 18:55, September 30, 2010 (UTC)

PvXWiki

Pretty much to echo what GuildWiki and others have said, we're getting the fuck out of Dodge. Wikia made us a lot of promises, and hasn't lived up to a single one. I have personally never been as frustrated with a community or the support of a website. For more information, see http://pvx.wikia.com/wiki/PvXwiki_talk:Community_Portal#Moving_from_Wikia Karate Jesus 01:35, 1 October 2010 (UTC)

Think of wiki's as cupcakes

Ok say you have cupcakes (all wiki's) and a bucket of shit (new stuff) why would you ruin a perfectly good batch of cupcakes? i mean i wouldn't do that would you so why would these people do that to our cupcakes? {{SUBST:User:ultimatesupersaiyanvegito/sig2}} 03:22, September 30, 2010 (UTC)

Now imagine AWA No longer bus cupcakes from that company, we switch to a new cupcake company! ----Smiley12

Please Cease Spamming

I request that those interested in this group cease spamming the various blog posts and venues of interest about the new skin. Such spamming makes it virtually impossible to have a constructive dialog, and such dialog is really the only way to resolve matters. Surgo 04:12, September 30, 2010 (UTC)

Don't worry, if we ignore your comment that would make us as bad as the staff themselves --Smiley12 was here at 04:51, September 30, 2010 (UTC)

Host ourselves

I believe that many editors would be willing to spend a small amount of money on their hobby, and with that, it is possible to set up a wiki farm of our own that would be financed by contributions from the individual wikis. (How you come up with the money is your own choice - ads, amazon partner program, a sponsor, donation drives, merchandise - the possibilities are endless). We'd have self-administrated wikis with real control over themselves; be able to implement some nice features of Wikia such as shoutbox, central help and templates, a monaco-compatible skin (probably without widgets), and a transferable OpenID login that allows you to switch wikis at will. I think this (and being independent) would be well worth the effort. --◄mendel► 09:00, September 30, 2010 (UTC)

Where would we get the code to split up the MW servers, or can it already do that? Funding?
Help:Smelly Users (talk) was last edited at 13:20, September 30, 2010 (UTC)
The code for creating a multi wiki - Wiki (wiki farm) installation is out there, it the technical skills to add all the extensions etc that is more of an issue. Also the Hosting capacity / bandwidth required for a stable service. We all hate it when we canot edit. !!
I'm currently tying to find how to get a personal Mediawiki installation working so I can create a new Wiki as 80%+ of contributions to Tractors Wiki were by Me or based on wikipedia pages. As i have very few editors adding any significant content anyway, at the moment I'll just stop adding new content to expand the existing wiki. Instead I can then build a new site off line and look into either hosting it my self as read only (no public edits) or try to find a commercial sponser to host it, as the 'free wiki' hosting model is looking very vulnerable to corporate changes in policy. Some of the Forums I edit on are privately hosted (very donations or small sponsered adverts cover costs). - BulldozerD11 18:12, September 30, 2010 (UTC)

An alternative for Gaming wikis

If you have a gaming wiki that is looking for a new home you might want to look at Curse.com. They are interested in growing their network. --Wyn's Talk page Wynthyst talk 17:10, September 30, 2010 (UTC)

AWA

FAQ

Q: Where do I go if I leave Wikia?

A: There are plenty of wiki farms out there, as well as independent wikis that welcome new users. You can even import your account to some of them!

Q: Where will the wikis moving away go?

A: ShoutWiki has been a popular host among wikis leaving, some will also pay to self host, and a few have found websites about their wiki's subject willing to host them.

Q: How do I move my Wiki to a new host?

A: You will have to download a database dump from Special:Statistics on your wiki (towards the bottom.) Then, contact the new host and they will tell you what way they want you to upload to them.

AWA

Lists

Add your wiki to the list, make sure you have the community's agreement Make SURE that you are an administrator of the wiki.

1000+ pages

B

• Bleach Wiki (Pending)
  • Bleach Fanfiction Wiki (Pending, Forum discussions.)

C

• Club Penguin Wiki (Pending, IRC discussions.)

D

• Darker than Black Wiki
  • Dofus Brazil (Pending, if no users responses, we change)

G

R

• Ratchet & Clank wiki

S

T

• Talisman Online Wiki
  • Tractor and Construction Plant Wiki (Pending - If no user response Founder to create a Fork)

W

100 - 1000 pages

A

P

• Pokemonfakemon Wiki

T

50 - 100 pages

C

M

• My City Life Wiki

Users in the movement

Add your username to the list if you are leaving Wikia due to the new "Wikia" skin

Users that hate the Oasis/Wikia skin but are not leaving

Loyal to Wikia? Don't want to move? Add your username if you hate the new skin

• Airhogs777 - Co-Founder
  • GameGear360
  • LeonStrife95
  • Isdrakthül
  • Samsonius
  • TVthePunisher - I'm up in the air about this, as is Bleach Wiki on the matter. We may or may not be moving, we'll update with a final decision after we go through a proper, full discussion on the matter.
  • User:Goodwood
  • Unregistered Contributor~aka~X~ I don't know if I'm leaving. I think I'll just see how it pans out. I would like to sing a song respecting the wonderful staff for listening to us, so here's the link .
  • Legoace342 - I' half leaving. MLN Wiki is leaving but other wikis I'm on aren't.
  • User:Matthew2602
  • Godisme- I will be doing whatever Bleach wiki does. If we move, I am leaving wikia, if not I will stay with it
  • TheDevilHand888 - Same as other Bleach Wiki members.
  • Chimpso
  • Thebrains222 - Wikia are throwing so much away with the new skin.
  • GTAAAF - I will protect Monaco, until his death :'(
  • Hooper - I'm in the Beta, and it is not good for wikis. May be great for other content management systems, but not for wikis. However, I strongly disagree with the language seen at the top of this page, or the affront that wikia staff might attack. Its childish and rude.
  • Ciencia Al Poder - Still not sure what to do.
  • Courtney~Duncan~TDA - I'm definetely not abandoning wiki for a motive like this, but I want the monaco skin to be at least a choice.
  • Misstditylerfan - Agreed with Courtney~Duncan~TDA.
  • Kingcjc - depends on the wiki. If some I work on vote to stay, and some leave, I work on them leaving.
  • TDobsessed88- I agree with Courtney~Duncan~TDA
  • http://community.wikia.com/wiki/User:Lssj4 I l agree with courtney.I just cant take this anymore the look isnt here yet but once it is there will be A ALLAINCE!
  • DecL2010

Users/Wikis Staying at Wikia but Support the ones Leaving

Wikis

• Ghostbusters Wiki will support original editors, and therefore if we link to you at wikia, and you move, the link changes. Like Transformers Wiki.

Users

• Devilmanozzy-I don't want to move and don't hate the skin, but I DO support wikis that leave.
  • GTAAAF: Good luck with the exodus.

Useful External Links

• Transformers Wiki:Community Portal and check out they "Moving From Wikia: (Arriving) (Leaving) (Complaints).
  • MediaWiki (the free software that Wikia, Wikimedia, ShoutWiki and others use for wiki websites)
  • ShoutWiki (a new free wiki provider.)
  • Wikkii (A free wiki provider with advanced hosting options.)

AWA

Statistics

• Our latest poll had a sample size of 63 anonymous Users. It had 60 skin "dislikes" and 3 skin "likes" *Cough*Staff*Cough*

AWA

Fanart

Talented at drawing? Have a great art idea? Why not express your hate in a humorous and creative way!

Around Wikia's network

Random Wiki