Community Central
Community Central
Forums: Index Community Central Forum Image new version upload problems
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 4902 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

Are there still any known bugs concerning image upload? Tried to update images a few hours ago via "Upload a new version of this file" and it still shows the old version of the image and not the new uploaded one (Just the image sizes got updated but applied to the old version of the file --> see example). If I upload the same image via the usual method I get a duplicate warning so it must be somewhere on the server but isn't properly shown... --Schlulou (Talk - Cont) 17:18, August 31, 2010 (UTC)

• Try deleting the old revision. If that doesn't work, move the file to a new title—that will force the cache to purge. -- Xd1358(Talk) 17:49, August 31, 2010 (UTC)
Thanks for your help, deleting the old revision doesn't change a thing, but moving it worked. Annoying behavior, conclusion at the moment better don't work with images :/ --Schlulou (Talk - Cont) 17:59, August 31, 2010 (UTC)
Try looking at Help:Bypass your cache. Duskey(talk) 18:21, August 31, 2010 (UTC)
It looks like a server cache hiccup so the only method I'm aware of is to add the ?action=purge parameter to the url but this doesn't seem to work with images --Schlulou (Talk - Cont) 18:32, August 31, 2010 (UTC)
I have the same problem. I eventually worked around it by entirely removing the original. Unfortunately, this won't work for anything other than spot updates. Something seems very wrong with image handling since the update and it has nothing to do with my cache. Since the OP example isn't up, an example of the problem that I haven't bothered to fix is here. The new image shows a different size, but the first image is being served instead of the new image. Scormus 19:15, August 31, 2010 (UTC)

I've just been ab le to upload an image this morning so it looks like problem may be fixed. I'll come back if problem persists, thanks! Bardor 06:03, September 1, 2010 (UTC)

Have you successfully updated an image or only successfully uploaded a new image with a unique name? I've been able to upload single images fine, but I could not update images. So I never had the problem you referenced in the other thread. Scormus

I've been encountering this problem on a number of occasions, as recently as now. A good example is here. The previous version is the image i'm trying to upload, but no matter what the current version doesnt update. It only shows correctly in the archived version. There have been other cases where the image updates but not the thumb, or the correct image is there when you click on it but the picture shown on the in wiki image page is not correct Henneyj 02:17, September 2, 2010 (UTC)

I have the same problem. Problem is solved with moving file to a new title as Xd1358 said. But how to change Wiki.png? See here ... TedFB

I believe this problem still persists:

http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/File:Redeemed.png If you look at the file history for the page I linked, the current version is the pic I was trying to replace - that now has the dimensions of the image I'm trying to update it with - and the new pic I want to display shows up only in the file history. If I try to revert to the pic in the file history, the page taunts me by adding another instance of the pic I want to the file history and continues to display the one I want to change.

I have gone to your help pages and I've followed the instructions to purge my cache, the page's cache, etc. I even deleted the old file and nothing seems to work.

I cannot change this picture manually because it is on over 100 pages at this wiki.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

- JackFrost23 21:28, September 2, 2010 (UTC)

Try deleting the picture and then upload the new one keeping the same file name and extension. Duskey(talk) 21:51, September 2, 2010 (UTC)
Way ahead of you, actually. That didn't work either and I really thought it would. I'm beginning to suspect that this has something to do with wiki's servers and is not a user thing.
Any chance someone might be able to check this out to determine if the problem is actually on wiki's end?
Cheers!
- JackFrost23 22:02, September 2, 2010 (UTC)
This has been happening at Memory Alpha for at least over a week now, and if you leave the file alone for a day it fixes itself. Normally, I would ask why it's too much to ask for this to work right, the first time, for 6 months straight, and then report it. Experience has taught me that the answer is Wikia=Fail and any "fix", and I don't think those quotation marks are enough to stress how loosely I'm using that term, will take a few weeks at best to go live, and the cycle will just repeat in a month or so when the problem mysteriously returns. - Archduk3 00:30, September 3, 2010 (UTC)
I think the problem got actually worse. A month ago I just had to wait two or three days to get the new version shown up, but now that doesn't seem to work anymore. Even uploading the new image several times doesn't help. And what about the action=purge? I used this 4 months ago I think and it worked for the images, not instantly but after some time. Please do something about that, it's really annoying. --ShardofTruth 17:59, September 3, 2010 (UTC)

Being worked on

Hey everybody. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, and helping each other to try and figure it out. We've also received a number of Special:Contact reports about this. It's definitely not an issue with individual users, as it's on our end. It's one of our tech team's priorities right now so they'll be working to fix the problem as soon as possible. We're just as frustrated with the bug as you, so thanks for your patience as they work on it. If you encounter any other problems, be sure to let us know! - Brandon Rhea(talk) 18:35, September 3, 2010 (UTC)

• Great to hear.
Very cool, looks like you fixed the problem. Thanks very much. :) - JackFrost23 15:11, September 8, 2010 (UTC)
Yeah, everything seems to work as intented. Thank you:-) --ShardofTruth 15:38, September 8, 2010 (UTC)
Not always, updated some pictures without any problems. Except of one, it is still the old version shown in the article... --Schlulou (Talk - Cont) 16:06, September 8, 2010 (UTC)
  • Most seemed to work the last day or 2, but had a few still breaking in some card galleries right now. Yami_Michael 16:55, September 9, 2010 (UTC)
Yeah, I just noticed that while it is finally updating the photo on the page, the history still shows the old pic - even for the current version. And the old version still displays on many of the pages, though when you click on it, the enlargement is the updated version. However, I changed the old version because it was specifically messing up the layout - which it still does in many cases because the old pic is displaying.
Is there any way to make it so it updates pictures properly everywhere they appear on a wiki? - JackFrost23 17:31, September 9, 2010 (UTC)
UPDATE: Uhhh, waitaminnit. It looks like whatever you did decided not to hold because now it's back to not updating anything correctly. :-/ - JackFrost23 17:54, September 9, 2010 (UTC)

Example of Pics Not Properly Updating

This page is the article for a game Achievement/Trophy in the video game Red Dead Redemption. When the picture was originally posted, it had the text "LONG ARM OF MARSTON" across the bottom. Unfortunately, most of the backgrounds it got put onto are either black or grey so it only serves to make the alignment look strange. I updated it with a pic that did not have the text - like so:

Rdr pic update fail01

It's great that the pic has updated in the article above, and it looks much better - however, on the rest of the site, the old version of the pic still displays. This is very small but it illustrates what I'm getting at. If you look at the pic in the template, it still shows the version with the text:

Rdr pic update fail02

And before you ask, yes I did the '?action=purge' and CTRL+F5 before taking this screencap and nothing changed.

Hopefully this might help isolate the problem.

Cheers!

- JackFrost23 21:08, September 9, 2010 (UTC)

Hey! The pics just started updating correctly! Hopefully this will last... ;P -JackFrost23 22:05, September 9, 2010 (UTC)
Has anybody from Wikia actually said it is fixed? If not, you might want to wait for them to say it is fixed before reporting that it has been fixed across the board. If so, I'll test it out. Scormus 22:48, September 9, 2010 (UTC)
Well, I was just reporting for me, not all of Wikia. :D Let's hope this is fixed all across the board because it was a really frustrating glitch... - JackFrost23 22:51, September 9, 2010 (UTC)
The problem in this case is that the thumbnails don't update. This was present long before this whole mess. The easiest method to avoid this is to not use thumbnails and change the dimensions after uploading a new version of the image, so the wiki software is forced to display the new image. --ShardofTruth 08:03, September 11, 2010 (UTC)

(necro update) This problem (but not a specific bug) happens from time to time for various reasons as our operations people are always changing, tweaking and generally frobnicating the caching systems.

You DONT, and cant stress this enough DO NOT need to delete the old versions of an image to "make it work". That was a very specific cache bug months ago. Our CDN caches by URL, and those URLs are now unique to a specific version (based on the timestamp of the moment of upload) of an image. Deleting an old versions doesnt change the URL for the current image, or any thumbnails at all. It only creates more work for our servers for no reason, plus also, you remove the history for that image.

If this or any "images not updating" problems happen, please send us the URLs of the images that arent updating, and we can get them flushed from the CDN. Please note, we need the URL of the image or thumbnail that isnt changing, not the File: page on the wiki. The URLs we need are the ones that look like __cb########.

We are continuing to work on these cache issues, so they dont happen at all, so any of this crazyness isnt needed at all. --Uberfuzzy 19:48, November 8, 2010 (UTC)