Community Central
Register
Community Central
Forums: Index Community Central Forum Need some css coding help regarding the new skin
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 4915 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

I'd like to hide some of the new skin elements for my personal use but I don't know the css class names. Unless I got an easy way of finding them myself, does anyone at least know those of the sidebar, the Random page and Wiki activity buttons, the Around Wikia's network footer?

I think that will do for now, I'm just interested in how much I can customize it until I decide to just use Monobook. --Light Daxter - Talk 20:59, September 29, 2010 (UTC)

Try looking at the source of the page. The class= bits can be hidden. —Manyman (talk) 21:30, September 29, 2010 (UTC)

Thanks, I figured it was somewhere in there but I wasn't sure. It works great! --Light Daxter - Talk 22:08, September 29, 2010 (UTC)

Okay so I got rid of the two modules on the right (image and article) and the Last edited by and categories parts that were in the bar on top of the article. However, I can't get rid of the spotlightsmodule (I think it contains ads, I dunno, my AdBlock blocks it all) nor the image attribution under pictures, neither the random page/wikia activity buttons. Anyone got a clue? --Light Daxter - Talk 22:36, September 29, 2010 (UTC)

I think it is against the w:c:homepage:Terms of Use to remove ads with CSS. —Manyman (talk) 07:46, September 30, 2010 (UTC)

I thought I disabled ads in my preferences. Thus whatever is left must not be an ad, correct? --Light Daxter - Talk 14:07, September 30, 2010 (UTC)

Are you using Firefox as your browser? If so, then FireBug would give you an easy way to find all the classes/ids that you want to change.
The class for image attribution tags: .WikiaArticle .picture-attribution
The id of the spotlights module: #WikiaSpotlightsModule
The class of the div containing both the random page & wikia activity buttons: .WikiHeader .buttons
~ Gardimuer { ʈalk } 15:57, September 30, 2010 (UTC)

Alright, I got rid of the random page/wiki activity buttons and picture attribution. However, the spotlights module doesn't want to go away. I used Firebug and it does't give a class but an id instead, is there a real difference and what kind of coding (a . or a # ?) would I need to get rid of it (I tried both though). Also, whats the class/id of the share/follow buttons on the toolbar. The one I tried removed all the buttons.

Finally, would removing the spotlights module widen the article section? I currently simply removed the entire wikia rail (the right column), but it also got rid of the search box (which I actually used), and forced the width to 100% (looks great!). --Light Daxter - Talk 16:40, September 30, 2010 (UTC)

As I noted above, the id of that module is #WikiaSpotlightsModule . If you want to remove it you would use the following code:
#WikiaSpotlightsModule {display:none !important;}
You have to mark it as "!important" because Wikia has given the module a separate element style which would override your id customization.
To answer your second question, removing all the modules will not make the body of the article expand. You would have to adjust the width with CSS, and also do some tweaks to make sure the searchbar stays at the top. This is what I suggest:
.WikiaRail{
	position:absolute;
	right:0px;
}
.WikiaMainContent{
	width:1000px;
}
~ Gardimuer { ʈalk } 17:22, September 30, 2010 (UTC)

Thanks a lot, I figured out how to use FireBug for css coding, I'll manage it myself now, this is great! --Light Daxter - Talk 17:48, September 30, 2010 (UTC)

How did you remove image uploading attribution exactly? Is it against the terms of service to remove image uploading attribution? I would like to do that for all users on the wiki where I am an admin at. --Timeshifter 17:54, October 4, 2010 (UTC)
Yes, removing image attribution for everyone is against the Terms of Use. You're welcome to remove it through your own personal CSS, though. - Brandon Rhea(talk) 17:59, October 4, 2010 (UTC)
Why is it against the terms of use? It is not critical to the new Oasis look. --Timeshifter 19:19, October 4, 2010 (UTC)

I used

.WikiaArticle .picture-attribution {
display: none;
}

to remove image attribution. if you're interested what I used as well see; http://jakanddaxter.wikia.com/index.php?title=User:Light_Daxter/wikia.css&diff=prev&oldid=38542.

However I decided to wait until the skin is finalized and then I'll throw in my batch of css changes. If possible I'll make the topbar a lot smaller and remove the buttons/create a wiki button. Moving the edit button to the right, giving the discussion page button text is also on the menu. I'll probably ask for help here regarding css coding, though.

And as regarding site CSS goes, I'll probably just tell everyone to use it via the new sitenotice or distribute it among anyone interested/the few people on my wiki. (p.s.) I don't like the new skin either, but hey, with this css coding I'll be fine with it. Don't really care if the random bypassing editor thinks it looks like crap. --Light Daxter - Talk 19:23, October 4, 2010 (UTC)