Wikia

Community Central

Changes: User talk:Sannse

Edit

Back to page

(new look)
(What...? Please tell me it's not global.)
Line 1,493: Line 1,493:

==What...? Please tell me it's not global.==

==What...? Please tell me it's not global.==
'''What the hell?''' Are you people insane? You're banning Turtleshroom, I assume globally, for DISAGREEING WITH YOU? '''Please''' tell me it's not a global ban. You gave no good reason except that ''he fought against the new skin''; he opposed the new skin, there's nothing wrong with that! I can't believe this; it's pathetic! I've just about had it with Wikia and your suppression of free speech. <br>
+
'''What the hell?''' Are you people insane? You're banning Turtleshroom, I assume globally, for DISAGREEING WITH YOU? '''Please''' tell me it's not a global ban. You gave no good reason except that ''he fought against the new skin''; he opposed the new skin, there's nothing wrong with that! I can't believe this; it's pathetic! I've just about had it with Wikia and your suppression of free speech.<br />

Am I gonna get banned for speaking my mind? At this point, seeing as it's already happened once, I would not be surprised! [[User:Cobweb|Cobweb]] ([[User talk:Cobweb|Talk]])

Am I gonna get banned for speaking my mind? At this point, seeing as it's already happened once, I would not be surprised! [[User:Cobweb|Cobweb]] ([[User talk:Cobweb|Talk]])
  +
  +
:Turtleshroom was banned for disruption. I have not, and will not, ban anyone for disagreeing with me. -- [[User:Sannse|Sannse]]<staff /> <small>([[w:c:community:Forum:Community_Central_Forum|help forum]] | [[w:c:community:Blog:Wikia_Staff_Blog |blog]])</small> 07:09, November 3, 2010 (UTC)

== You Crossed The Line ==

== You Crossed The Line ==

Revision as of 07:09, November 3, 2010

See Adoption requests to request admin or bureaucrat rights on an inactive wiki.
See Spotlights to request a spotlight.

Archives

Please add new messages to the bottom, thanks :) -- sannse (talk)

Help please.

The new skin has messed up the infoboxes on my wikia, and I don't know how to fix them... I will send you two links that show my infobox ruined. I am hopelessly confused when it comes to coding so can you fix it please?

http://splitfanfic.wikia.com/wiki/Josh_Jackson

&

http://splitfanfic.wikia.com/wiki/A_New_Beginning,_Part_1

Also, the navbox at the top of the second link is really squished... And I don't know what to do about that.

-- Julietfan2626

Possibly these have been fixed? The infoboxes look the same as on Monaco to me. The navbox contains a lot of information, which is why it's looking a bit squished. One thing to remember is that it will look similarly squished to Monaco users with smaller monitors. It's better to make your tables fit a smaller space well, then it will always look good for everyone -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 06:06, October 13, 2010 (UTC)
I don't know how to make it fit a smaller place without making the text tiny. And I'm on a netbook and I can't hardly read anything anyway... it's so awkward! And the infoboxes haven't been fixed! The things like {{{AKA}}} are still showing if I don't use them, they didn't show on the old version, they were hidden, but that's not the case with the new look. There, i gave you feedback, now you have to solve the problem :'( -- Julietfan2626
did you try to edit the page in SOURCE option? Can you delete the code line from the infobox code? Deb1701 13:53, October 15, 2010 (UTC)
What? It's a template thingy, the super long code is a template, and then I use it by going |Name=Bob etc... and i haven't included things i don't need, and with the old skin, the things i don't use appear in the final template, but now everything appears! All sections. -- Julietfan2626
Ah, now I see, you had some CSS missing. I've added it, and the templates work now -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 03:53, October 16, 2010 (UTC)
O:!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :D -- Julietfan2626

Why was Smiley12 blocked?

You blocked Solar Dragon. Well, he insulted Sarah and you, but, why was Smiley12 blocked? What did he do? TheHomer 16:38, October 10, 2010 (UTC)

He was blocked by Uberfuzzy, not sannse. 92.7.195.72 20:40, October 10, 2010 (UTC)
There are two reasons we've blocked people. Either for abusive behaviour (and we've been pretty tolerant of that - we'd really rather talk to people than block them) or for trying to harm a wiki they have decided to leave. -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 06:11, October 13, 2010 (UTC)

Background-graphic

Hi Sannse!

I was just wondering if there were any way to get the background graphic to follow the page as you scroll? Because, as you can see at TheDemonCycle Wiki the graphic at the top left corner would look ten times better at the bottom left corner, following the page.

So I really hope there is a way, css or not (maybe even making it a feature at the ThemeDesigner :))

Yours, Marken4 21:35, October 10, 2010 (UTC)

• Hi. Do you mean fixing the image in place so it moves with you? If so, here's a way, not with the theme designer but through CSS. Here's the code:
/* Background image */
body {
background: transparent url(image URL goes here)  no-repeat;
background-attachment: fixed;
}

Problem user

Greetings Sannse,

I'm having an issue with User:Goku return's. You see, he was on my wiki, the Dragonball AF fanon wiki, but was blocked for harassment and for inserting gibberish into other pages. He then proceeded to harass me here on the Central Wiki, and on Dragonball wiki. I double checked the history on my talk pages to make sure it was him before I reported him to you. If it's possible, could you give him a warning? I would, but I don't want to appear rude and I think he'd take it better coming from a staff. I appreciate your time. Thank you. ---Ten Tailed Fox talk page 23:27, October 10, 2010 (UTC)

I'm sorry i wasn't trying to harras you i was trying to get your attention so i can talk to you. Please don't block me i wont do it again. User:Goku return's

Sounds like you need to move on, Goku. You've been blocked from that wiki, but there are plenty of others to edit on... so please leave Ten Tailed Fox be and find another wiki to use. Thanks -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 06:14, October 13, 2010 (UTC)

New Message

I just wanted to point these things out:

Produce quality, not quantity.

Quick and simple.

Better quality>Users.

Don't promote yourself to your supporters it's pointless. It's like making a rally against people who agree with you.Roberto1205 17:28, October 11, 2010 (UTC)

Re:Theme

Hi, thanks. Just wondering about the Theme Designer- who can use it? And are my changes visible to everyone on Brickipedia? Captain Jag Talk 24 Edits! Jai'galaar Captain Jag Talk 24 Edits! Jai'galaar 20:56, October 11, 2010 (UTC)

Hi, it can be used by any admin on the wiki (except on this wiki where anyone can use it) and your changes will show to everyone using the new look. Anons will be seeing the new look soon, so they will be able to see your theme then -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 06:17, October 13, 2010 (UTC)
That's strange then… I'm not an admin on Brickipedia. Captain Jag Talk 24 Edits! Jai'galaar Captain Jag Talk 24 Edits! Jai'galaar 07:08, October 13, 2010 (UTC)

IPod users

I usually look at wikis on my iPod, and the navigation is hard on the iPod unless the wiki has a navigation bar with all of the pages linked to it. I was wondering if y'all could some how put the wiki side bar in it along with being able to edit in iPod format. --Shadowviper 21:05, October 11, 2010 (UTC)

We're working on a skin specifically for mobile devices, so hopefully using Wikia on those will be a lot easier sometime soon :) -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 06:18, October 13, 2010 (UTC)

Look, I'm begging you....

Please don't do this to us. The Sonic News Network and its related wikis are threatening to leave Wikia. DO YOU BASTARDS REALIZE WHAT YOU HAVE DONE?!? YOU HAVE STARTED THE MOTHERFUCKING APOCOLYPSE!!!! Please, don't change the skin. If you do, all my friends will leave Wikia......I'm begging you.....don't do it.....

Multiverseman 00:20, October 12, 2010 (UTC)

That's an immature and offensive message, they know users don't like the skin, but that doesn't mean we have to insult the staff. Next time, watch your language. --((((Matias)))) ~ Talk AVATAR Wiki 00:51, October 12, 2010 (UTC)

Hello

Hi! I need some help...I'm the new bureaucrat of this abandoned wiki, and I wanted to make a template, only I don't know how! So, could you please explain it? Please remember, I do not know much about html codes. Thanks so much, JennyVincentTalk to Me!♦ 00:22, October 12, 2010 (UTC)

Hi, the best place to get help with templates is on the forum. The basics is that you create a page with the name "Template:whatever" and then you can use the code {{whatever}} on any other page to show whatever is on that template page. The rest is all about designing what you want to be on that template page... and that's where the experts on the forum come in :) -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 06:21, October 13, 2010 (UTC)

New Wikia Layout

I'm having a couple of problems. Do you have any tutorials or anything to go through in order to convert Monaco Wikis to the new Oasis layout? And why must I lose the logo? -Monasti-Bureaucrat of Herofactopedia 11:11, October 12, 2010 (UTC)

Hi, there's a page at Transition guide that gives help with the change. The main things are to copy over any code from Mediawiki:common.css to Mediawiki:Wikia.css that you want to keep (things like custom table formatting), and to use the Theme Designer to set up your new look. The logo is now the "wordmark", and you can also upload a custom one of those via the Theme Designer. Let me know if you get stuck -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 06:24, October 13, 2010 (UTC)

Replies

Hi everyone - sorry for being so slow on this page this week. I hope to get all caught up again today. If you need urgent help, then please use Special:Contact - a few people answer there so you are likely to catch someone faster :) In the mean time, apologies again, and I'll be back to catch up as soon as I can! -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 15:14, October 12, 2010 (UTC)

Changing the skin.

How do I change the skin of this http://holocaust-encyclopedia.wikia.com to be Monobook, but for all users?

Anonymiss Madchen (Talk) 16:26, October 12, 2010 (UTC)

[abusive comment removed]
Hi Anonymiss Madchen, we don't offer monobook as a default skin on Wikia. We are in the middle of moving to the new Wikia look, which you can see by choosing it in your preferences. Of you can keep Monobook as a personal choice, but your visitors will see the Wikia default (once we are fully switched over) -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 06:28, October 13, 2010 (UTC)

New Wiki Look

Hello Ma'am,

I would like to say a few words about the skin. Three guesses. And they are all sucks. There are lot of blogs regarding this issue.

One of the blogs (link)

I'm sorry if I'm being offending you in any ways but many members on our Wiki have started to rebel about this new 'Oasis' look. As a Wiki Staff Member, it is your duty to ensure that every Wiki member is happy. In order to do that, I request you to remove this skin from all Wikis. If you cannot do that, at least do not remove Monaco skin. Thank you. Many of my friends are planning on leaving Wikia if the Monaco skin is gone. As Bureaucrat of Dragon Ball Fanon Wiki, I must keep every member of the my community happy and it is the Staff's job to make everyone of every Wiki happy. The Wiki will be empty if there are no members, so the members have the main power and rights. This is a democracy! Without us, the Wiki would have been closed ages ago. So, I hope you do what the Wiki Members wish.

Piccolo The Super Namek

Sadly, I can never make every wiki member happy.
But thank you for your feedback -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 06:31, October 13, 2010 (UTC)
But you could always try and make MOST wiki members happy... as opposed to 8 of them. 93.93.222.206 08:25, October 13, 2010 (UTC)
If you can't make everyone happy, make a majority of them happy! About 99.99% of the Wiki Members hate this new Wiki. So whom do you want to be happy? 99.99% or 0.01%? Think about it ma'am. Piccolo The Super Namek
I have asked you many times politely to change the new skin but I'm afraid now, we have to be more hostile! We will start a rebellion today about this new skin! You guys are just posers who act as if you are about this Wiki! If you really care about us, at least change the new skin because we hate it! It sucks! Piccolo The Super Namek
Listen to the community, Wikia. Almost everyone hates new look. Don't make members leave. >SiPlus -talk -contributions_ 14:58, October 14, 2010 (UTC)

4000th

Congratulation on your 4000th edit! -- CocoaZen 05:26, October 13, 2010 (UTC)

Woohoo! Thanks! And I have a tidy talk page too. I think that's a good enough reason to head for a comfy bed :) G'night -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 06:32, October 13, 2010 (UTC)
Congratulations!
Piccolo The Super Namek

Lostpedia CSS

I'm fine with the changes from a design standpoint, but I don't see how it violates the vague new TOU. It would be helpful if you had some better documentation with a list of do's/don'ts. I have the background image in xcf format with objects in layers, which could have saved your designer some time had you reached out to me before implementing the changes. Please have the designer work his/her magic using this file and re-upload the cleaner background and base xcf image when done. w:c:lostpedia:file:Background-tall-blank.xcf. Thanks, --jabrwocky7 (talk) 11:19, October 13, 2010 (UTC)

Hi, yes I think we need to improve on the guidelines. It's definitely on my list (which is a bit crazy right now)
I'll pass the file on and see what we can do, thanks :) -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 04:48, October 14, 2010 (UTC)

Ok sorry.

I understand sorry for my comments thank you for giving me a warning:).Lssj4 12:21, October 13, 2010 (UTC)

A little help

Hello there.

I dunno what there is that you guys can do about it right now, but the new wiki look has disappeared from several wikis. Now, having consulted with the admins at the affected wikis i've noticed that none of them have had the Wikia skin option disabled or anything of the sort. What i get now is the Monaco skin, which for a user that does like the new skin feels odd.

I hope that you guys at Wikia can sort this out quickly, as (especially at the Medal of Honor wiki, where you'd usually find myself) the new skins are starting to look really good, and it'd be a shame to waste them.

If you need to contact me, just ring a bell on the medal of honor wiki (not the moh.wikia version). - Heatedpete

(oh, by the way, sorry for not using the signature button, as that'd just be useless as it'd just read {{SUBST:Signatures/Heatedpete}})

Hi, I'm not sure what you are seeing at the moment, I'm seeing the new look (And WOW! on that skin!). Maybe it was a glitch? Are you still seeing it? If so, please can you use Special:Contact and let us know the details? (That gives us some extra info about your set-up that helps us trouble shoot. Thanks, and great to hear you like the new look! -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 04:55, October 14, 2010 (UTC)
New look's back. Must've been just a glitch in the system, but quite a few editors i've spoken to had this problem - Heatedpete

A Polite Question

Why are you refusing to let the communities of moving wikis know that the wiki is moving? The staff has been demoting admins simply for wanting to let the community know where the wiki is moving to. You seem one of the more reasonable staff members... why are you taking away our right to move the wikis that we created off of Wikia? It's the fault of the staff that people want to move- people are extremely frustrated that you've ignored the hundreds and hundreds of fervently negative comments regarding the new skin. Please don't try to deny that these comments exist; I read through twenty pages of blog comments on the new skin, and I think only one of them was positive. We have the right to leave Wikia any time we like... what next? A program that prevents us from leaving Wikia.com? What I'm trying to tell you is that you wouldn't have to resort to these measures if you would actually listen to feedback, and make the new skin optional. That's all you'd have to do. If you would make the new skin optional, do you know how much your approval rating would increase? You'd be universally beloved. That's all anyone wants- a choice in the matter. You'd still get money from ads. Sure, maybe you'd get a little less. But you'd still get quite a bit. So which would you prefer: To try and plug a dam that is inevitably going to break, no matter how harsh the punishments for trying to move get? Or would you rather compromise on this one thing, make the new skin optional, and ultimately gain far more than you lose? Maybe in the short term, Wikia would make less money. But in the long term, they would gain the love and respect of the people whose wikis they are hosting... and make money in the bargain.
I do hope you won't ban me for saying this. All I ask is that you address all of my points and explain your reasoning... not tell me meaningless things like "we're taking all factors into consideration" or "we're trying to make the transition as smooth as possible"... treat me like an equal, and explain your reasoning. Thank you for taking the time to read this. -Cobweb

Hi Cobweb.
Of course we agree that everyone has the right to edit wherever they want. We would love people to stay on Wikia of course, but we know that people move on, and we respect that.
What we don't agree, is that someone (or a group) who has left a wiki should be able to damage the wiki behind them, or to use that wiki to advertise their new home. We don't object to people talking about their move, I think we've demonstrated that clearly enough over the last few weeks... you just need to look around at pages on this wiki we have left alone! But putting a notice on every page is not helpful to the wiki that they have chosen to leave. And if they have decided to go, then the wiki they have left and any community that has decided to stay on Wikia have to be our main concern.
On keeping Monaco, I hope you'll read Susan's blog post. She talked about this in detail there. Monaco is a complex skin, and it's not sensible or economical to keep that skin rather than put all our resources in to the a single, better, more developed and more modern one.
And, of course, we won't ban you or anyone else for your opinion or your questions. We have only banned those who have expressed their opinions in a very abusive way (including obscenities, threats, or excessive floods of comments) or who have tried to damage a wiki they have decided to leave. Your post obviously is none of those :) -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 05:09, October 14, 2010 (UTC)
Fair enough. Thank you for responding to me and explaining, I appreciate it very much. I don't entirely agree with you, but I see your point of view, which I didn't before. So, thanks! Cobweb (Talk)
I disagree with you Sannse. If a wiki decides it wants to move, it should have the choice. And just like when you move houses, you forward your mail to your new house while people get used to the move, a wiki should be able to tell users where they moved. It seems that wkia has made a mistake with the new skin change, causing thousands if not millions of users to leave, and instead of just admiting you made a mistake, you're trying to stop people from leaving. I personally am considering moving my wiki like many others. I hope you read this and think about what I have said. Peter 10 23:37, October 23, 2010 (UTC)

Please

You've heard the voices of the people. And those voices appear to be an emphatic NO.

Why are you ignoring this?

Clothing giant GAP changed THEIR logo once. They soon changed it back after huge backlash. However, this is also getting just as much backlash, if not worse.

Don't you like your users? Many of them are threatning to LEAVE. Your site, in the meantime, generates revenue via advertisments. With a huge lack of users, who will be left to look at and click on those ads?

I've also found out that the administration has been BANNING wiki admins who post notices about transfers.

That's completely against the 1st Amendment, which SPECIFICALLY STATES that everyone has a right to freedom of speech and thought.

Do you want to have a huge walkout? Do you really want to face a mass exodus of users?

You don't have to do this. You can make it optional. Those who want it can have it, and those who don't want it don't have to.

Please listen to the people.

Sincerely, DaL33T 23:10, October 13, 2010 (UTC)

Hi DaL33T. Please read above for answers to your questions. Thanks -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 05:10, October 14, 2010 (UTC)

Your expectations?

You expect us to just give our say and leave thats not how it works sannse we want our say to get to you staff members directly we dont just say one thing or a few then move on and just deal with it how do you expect that if where mad where mad and we want you to fully understand that and reply to our comments.How do you expect us to say our thoughts but leave without a true response?Im not going back their anymore or if so VERY VERY rarely but I just dont get you yes other users want to speak their say so they can get a response yet their say is more important than our's?Ours are negeative so we get no real response yet they get a fulll true response so unfair thats why bye Nov.3rd Im gone and if this is spam block me I dont care but only from here not globally thats not fair at all you probly havent seen half the wikis Im on anyway yet Im blocked from them all for things on another wiki?Just unfair so please no globally blocking me thanks:).{{SUBST:User:Lssj4/sig2}} 23:24, October 13, 2010 (UTC)

I think it's fair to say that if other users and staff are telling you that you are commenting too much and flooding the blog, then that's a problem. You have had your say, I understand that you don't like what's changing... it's not necessary or helpful to say that to the point that you keep getting asked to stop. -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 05:15, October 14, 2010 (UTC)

Du-nunun! Wiki skin... again.

Wow, I feel sorry for posting now, you seem quite busy with all of this! Yes, of course I have some things to say about the "New Look" as those above ^. Hopefully I'm not repeating any questions that have been answered for the 15th time.

1: Why is the new skin mandatory? Haven't the wiki skins been optional for, well... ever?

2: Why is Wikia updating everything in the first place? It hasn't occurred to me that anyone was unhappy with Monaco. I can see why one might want to upgrade some things to maybe spruce it up a bit and improve on it, but this is a complete overhaul and it appears no one asked the opinion of the majority.

3: Does the shoutbox have to go? That was one of my favorite features of Monaco. Without it a lot of the users may feel isolated and the community doesn't feel as close. [of course, this varies with the wikis you go to, but those that I am active on use the shoutbox very frequently.] The removal of the shoutbox will just create an unnecessary contact barrier. Why remove it?

Thank you for your time. Best of luck with all of this nonsense - I'm sure it can get overwhelming - and God bless! --Neildown - De oppresso LiberFile:Neil down.png Semper fi 23:37, October 13, 2010 (UTC)

I think most questions have been asked and answered a few times by now :) but that's OK,
  1. There has always been a default skin. This is the skin that logged out visitors see on the wiki and that is set for new users. The number and type of skins supported by a site varies, we are limiting it to two (default "Wikia", with Monobook as a personal option) because it means we can concentrate all our resources on making that skin the best it can be. Monaco is complex, and making that an option would mean it would either be broken a lot or eating up time and energy best spent elsewhere.
  2. Because we want Wikia to be the best place for you and everyone online to join and create wiki communities.
  3. I know the team working on this have been looking at options for adding the shoutbox to a page on wikis. I also like the idea of having a future feature that's an advance on the shoutbox (logging and scrollback sound good!), and I'm sure that's something that will be considered. There is lots of potential for that and other features in the future :)
That's really what the new look is all about... the future :) -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 05:24, October 14, 2010 (UTC)

1: That's understandable. Considering all the economic chaos going on everywhere and strapped budgets...

2: That I appreciate; but the skin, as it is, doesn't really seem promote that. To be honest, it feels like Wikia's version of Mrs. Obama taking toys out of Happy Meals® and handing out carrot sticks for french-fries. In other words - I think we all appreciate the motive behind the move, but we would like a say in what that motive presents for us. Not everyone wants carrots with their cheese-burgers :P.

3: Well, I'm glad to hear of this! :). That'd be something I would look forward to. --Neildown - De oppresso LiberFile:Neil down.png Semper fi 19:10, October 14, 2010 (UTC)

Responce

Hello Sannse,

I would just like to take a moment to thank you for your responce of wikiSimpsons. While I realize we don't see eye-to-eye on every issue involving this new skin, I also recognize that change is necessary and you are absolutely right about what you said about future communities and such on the wikis that are moving. I am glad that I joined Wikia almost two years ago and am happy to work alongside you, the other staff, and my fellow users to create a better community for all wikis. Thanks again for your reply. ---Ten Tailed Fox talk page 03:58, October 14, 2010 (UTC)

Thanks Ten Tailed Fox, I really appreciate your message, and the way you have consistently and fairly stood up for your opinions and beliefs throughout the many discussions going on at the moment. Whether you agree or disagree, with staff or others, you have always done so with great thoughtfulness, respect and kindness. May that two years become many more :) -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 05:30, October 14, 2010 (UTC)

gallery

Hello, could you tell me, why is the gallery in page http://necyklopedie.wikia.com/wiki/Pražské_metro broken?--Karkos 12:06, October 14, 2010 (UTC)

Hi, it looks ok to me, so I'm not sure what you are seeing... If there's still a problem, perhaps you could send a description and a screenshot to community@wikia.com ? That will help us trouble-shoot. Thanks -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 21:21, October 14, 2010 (UTC)
May be it was by browser: Pictures in all galleries on wikia were in one column. --Karkos 10:15, October 15, 2010 (UTC)

Please delete my wiki.

My wiki isnt doing so well I tryied to delete it but I cant only you can so please delete it I wanna start fresh and new thanks :).{{SUBST:User:Lssj4/sig2}} 16:11, October 14, 2010 (UTC)

You don't need to delete it, you can just leave that one if you want to start fresh :) -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 22:19, October 14, 2010 (UTC)

Edit your userpage

Somebody used my sign. I didn't use those bad words. You have to block the next user: User:Piccolo The Super Namek He use my sign and copy it, so block him. He did want that you block me for using bad words, while he is the one. It's again about the skin.--Station7 16:50, October 14, 2010 (UTC)

She/He's blocked by Brandon Rhea under request from me. This is the second time in a week that somebody is using my sign to show how bad I am, while not.--Station7 19:42, October 14, 2010 (UTC)

Don't worry, we can always see who actually made an edit in the history :) -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 22:24, October 14, 2010 (UTC)

My email request

I sent an email to your staff about a week and a half ago and still haven't heard back. I know you guys are busy, but we'd like to get an answer to a few questions before we leave wikia.

Also, I've noticed that you and Wikia are refusing to allow wikis to put up notices of departure regardless of that site's consensus. Would it be appropriate if we placed a notice on our wiki with something to the effect of "The Official PvXwiki will be [blank]. For those who plan to remain with Wikia goodluck"? Or something like that?

I don't see anything wrong with that, especially if it's decided upon by that wiki's community consensus. I can't imagine Wikia stomping on the autonomy of individual wikis to prevent that. Karate Jesus 16:36, 14 October 2010 (UTC)

So, wait....we're not allowed to add a sitenotice that directs users to the new site, even if it's our community's consensus?
Why not? Wiki autonomy is a core-value of all wikis (or should be), so how can you refuse us the right to advertise our new location? Just because it's bad business for you? That's ridiculous. You advertise for other sites all the time and will only be a hypocrite by not allowing us to advertise ours.
I'd love an answer to that, please. If our wiki reaches consensus, I demand our right to add a site notice to whatever the hell we want. Karate Jesus 20:28, 14 October 2010 (UTC)
I've written on this at length over here, so will point you to that. In short, you can't expect to leave a wiki and still have influence over it. If you decide to leave, then the wiki should be run for the benefit of any remaining community, and for any future community. And, much as we respect your right to edit wherever you want, we are not willing to host an advert for your alternative site on a wiki you have left. -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 22:31, October 14, 2010 (UTC)
You do understand the hypocrisy in that, right? You guys are forcing a new skin on us to get more advertising dollars without our consent, yet we're not even allowed to advertise our new site with our own community's consent? That's just insane... Karate Jesus 15:02, 15 October 2010 (UTC)
Obviously we see things differently, but I don't see a point in debating that with you -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 03:59, October 16, 2010 (UTC)
Sannse, you argue that keeping the wiki open is "for the benefit of any remaining community, and for any future community." All of the wikis who are moving are arguing that it is for the benefit of exactly these people to point them to where the experienced editors are who have built a successful wiki, and it's hard to argue against that. (And in fact, you don't.) Wikia refuses to redirect wikis, thus "splitting" the community, which leads to duplicated efforts. This is not beneficial to editors.
The benefit lies in the fact that by not redirecting, Wikia "keeps" the traffic associated with the wiki, and the consequent ad revenue. Since Wikia invests in its wikis, providing the infrastructure and tech support needed to set them up, it is reasonable for you to recoup some of these cost even if the wikis you helped set up decide to move elsewhere. On the other hand, while you are getting money, the wiki editors have worked for free, and thought they would be getting "their" wiki; claiming all of the benefit of the traffic so created for yourself disowns all of your editors. These interests ought to be balanced; however, if you never admit to your true motivations, it is impossible to come to an agreement. Instead, Wikia comes across as dishonest or even evil (to some people). --◄mendel► 09:59, October 18, 2010 (UTC)
I should add that compared to other Web 2.0 sites who see user contributions as a free resource, Wikia is determinedly less "evil", since those sites own our content. Wikia at least allows us to take the content we created to use it elsewhere - try that with any cheezbirger site or similar! --◄mendel► 10:03, October 18, 2010 (UTC)
Yes, the benefit to Wikia in the short term is the traffic to the wiki. But the long-term hope is for a revived community. We know very well that a wiki needs an editing community, that's why we put so much in to supporting and attracting editors to Wikia -- and why we show so few ads to logged in users. But obviously we are going to focus on any community, however small or inexperienced, that is on Wikia. If someone on Wikia wants to edit an article on Guildwars, I'm not going to say to him "you can't do that here, go away", I'm going to make sure that his experience here is the best I can make it. -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 05:00, October 20, 2010 (UTC)
Thank you for your reply. You make it completely clear that you don't feel much obligation towards anyone who has contributed content to any of Wikia's wikis in the past. (And of course I don't agree with your concept of a "revived" community because it implies that the existing community died when it just moved elsewhere.) --◄mendel► 11:39, October 20, 2010 (UTC)

A few Questions

Sannse, I have a few questions and I really hope that you don't mind answering them.

1. I heard there was a lot of resistance when Wikia switched to Monaco, and I was wondering what the old skin was and what it looked like, or what it Monobook? I really want to see what happened that time around so I put some things into perspective.
  2. I think it was you, but I could be wrong, but someone on the staff said that Monaco is an expensive skin to maintain. I was just wondering how complicted and expensive it is?
  3. Is there any discussion about the sidebar and possibly expanding it beyond 32 links? I really haven't seen any comments about why it was limited to that number espeically when some wikis use the sidebar for ease of navigation. Or did I miss something.
  4. This may seem like a stupid question, but is this a done deal or will there be more changes to Oasis or Wikia in the future based on comments or other things that the staff uses to track traffic and things like this?

Thanks in advance. Lancer1289 18:56, October 14, 2010 (UTC)

Hi Lancer
  1. The default skin before Monaco was Monobook, although we had a skin called Quartz being tested at one point. That one was never the site default though.
  2. It's not so much that Monaco is particularly expensive, but it is more complicated than something like Monobook. What would be expensive (in engineering time for example) is maintaining two sophisticated skins. It makes much more sense to maintain one, and create features for that alone (Monobook will be supported as a personal choice, but new features may not work on that skin)
  3. The tests that were done before starting on the new look showed that big nagivation systems don't work. The first few items got clicks from visitors, but quite quickly that dropped off and much of the navigation was actually pretty much unused. What works better is a focused navigation system that takes people to your best, most popular pages. That gets readers to where they want to be, without having to search long navigation, and then they are interested and ready to read more!
  4. There will definitely be changes over time. We've got a whole lot of click-tracking and other measurements set up so that we can see how things change as the skin is released. There have already been changes because of feedback from the beta testers and others, and this is a long-term project of improving Wikia.
-- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 22:59, October 14, 2010 (UTC)
Thanks for answering. I feel much more informed about this now. Lancer1289 23:02, October 14, 2010 (UTC)

Help me with the theme designer?

Uh, when I try to use the theme designer on the Dead Rising Wiki it fucks up. Like, I can select one of the options, but nothing happens. Could you help me? Thanks. P.png Frank-West P.png 19:13, October 14, 2010 (UTC)

Also, I'm getting two bugs with the new look: One, when you click the scroll wheel on the mouse, the little auto scroll thingy doesn't appear. It's kinda annoying since I use that a lot. Also, content goes over the floating toolbar at the bottom. This is good for content but looks kinda strange since it runs of the content area, making the page look glitched. I also noticed, that if you click the "diff" button on a wikiactivity page, then it makes the page look like Monaco, which is kinda weird too. Anyway just informing you of a couple of technical oddities I'm experiencing. Thanks again! P.png Frank-West P.png 19:28, October 14, 2010 (UTC)
Those do sound odd... and I can't reproduce any of them. What browser/OS do you use? -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 23:01, October 14, 2010 (UTC)
I'm using Internet Explorer 8. It must be something with either Internet Explorer or my wiki/account, because I've tried it on two different computers now, and the same stuff. I'll try using Firefox once I get to a computer that has Firefox. P.png Frank-West P.png 12:30, October 15, 2010 (UTC)
I found the problem with the theme designer. I need to use Firefox. P.png Frank-West P.png 21:07, October 15, 2010 (UTC)
Humm... IE8 should work as well. I'll do some testing over the weekend to see if I can see the problems. Thanks for the report -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 04:02, October 16, 2010 (UTC)
No problem, thanks for looking into it even with your busy schedule. =) P.png Frank-West P.png 20:05, October 16, 2010 (UTC)

Sorry

Do you have a moment? Just a quick question that I was wondering about. Why was TS blocked. It's just that he is a good friend of mine, and I would really like to know. Thanks, --{{SUBST:Sheepsiggy}} 22:06, October 14, 2010 (UTC)

Thank you for being polite Sheepman. TurtleShroom was asked before to calm down and stop spamming the blogs with his long rants. He didn't, so I had to ban. He has had his say, we've heard his point of view, we don't need to hear it any more. It's time for him to move on. -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 23:08, October 14, 2010 (UTC)

But you were posting long counter-rants. Doesn't that mean some other staff member has an obligation to ban you? May I also point out that under Article 19 of The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, "Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers." He was simply expressing himself, which international law states he can, no matter what country he may be in. Beacuse, "Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status. Furthermore, no distinction shall be made on the basis of the political, jurisdictional or international status of the country or territory to which a person belongs, whether it be independent, trust, non-self-governing or under any other limitation of sovereignty."

Thanks, --{{SUBST:Sheepsiggy}} 15:40, October 15, 2010 (UTC)

Sheepman, what you quote doesn't mean that anyone can say anything they want, anywhere they want to say it. You can't come in to my living room and shout about your love of goldfish for hours... (random example). If you did that, would you expect me to put up with it? Or ask you to leave? Any website or forum is like someone's living room, and you need to act in a way that is acceptable for that place. The quote you give is about governments allowing free press and not banning religions and so on. It is not about you (or Turtleshroom) being allowed to do whatever you want on Wikia. -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 04:12, October 16, 2010 (UTC)

It is true, we cannot do whatever we want. I'm sorry if I implied that, as I did not mean to. However we can say whatever we want, unless it intrudes on the rights of others (e.g. screaming insults). I do not like it when people conduct themselves like that. However, nothing me or TurtleShroom said intruded on anyone's rights. Your living room example is a rather different situation, as this would indeed be intruding on others rights, such as: "No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his privacy, family, home or correspondence". (This makes phone tapping by law enforcement agencies illegal, but that is another matter). This wiki is not your living room, I think.

Thanks for your time, --{{SUBST:Sheepsiggy}} 19:05, October 16, 2010 (UTC)

This wiki is a service provided by Wikia under certain conditions (the Terms of Use). To use it, you need to behave in a way that we consider appropriate. Now I could set up a site and insist that those using the service must not talk about blueberries -- that would be perfectly legal and perfectly moral (albeit very weird!). Wikia doesn't insist on blueberry-silence, but we do insist on a level of reasonable and rational behavior. If we don't see that, then eventually we will decide we no longer want to allow that person to use our service. -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 05:58, October 18, 2010 (UTC)

That's a pretty good point, but it has some flaws. I will not bother to mention them, as I just realised that you will never repeal your (unneeded) block on TS, so why bother. Especially becuase me and him are leaving at first chance.

Thanks, --{{SUBST:Sheepsiggy}} 15:30, October 18, 2010 (UTC)

Reply?

Hi, I left you another message here but I'm not sure if you saw it. Could you please reply? Captain Jag Talk 24 Edits! Jai'galaar Captain Jag Talk 24 Edits! Jai'galaar 02:33, October 15, 2010 (UTC)

Oops, sorry, missed that one. I think it was an early bug that allowed any beta tester to use the Theme Designer. That was fixed a while ago. I've done some testing, and I don't think you have access now... but please let me know if you do! Thanks -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 04:15, October 16, 2010 (UTC)
No, I don't, but can the changes stay as they are? Captain Jag Talk 24 Edits! Jai'galaar 04:38, October 16, 2010 (UTC)
Sure :) they look great! An admin may change the design at some point, but I think it's a great theme -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 06:00, October 18, 2010 (UTC)

Skin Loosing...

I understand you have tried very hard on the skin but nobody likes it. On the wikias im active on people are leaving because of the skin. Check this blog out.

dragonballfanon.wikia.com/wikia/User_blog:Piccolo_The_Super_Namek/I'm_leaving_the_Wiki_guys._So_long!

See whats happening. If you dont want to get rid of the skin atleast only make it an option. Im asking you please get shot of Oasis skin.

{{SUBST:User:SuperFusion/sig2}} 15:46, October 15, 2010 (UTC)

I hope Piccolo will return when thing settle down. -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 04:19, October 16, 2010 (UTC)

3rd Party

How can i add a third party application to my wiki? Its a survey for whoever (if anyone) visits my wiki, from 4q.com . thanx in advance for the help.--Sw9889 (Have something to say?) 16:54, October 15, 2010 (UTC)

It's usually not possible for you to do that... MediaWiki only accepts some code, and from what I can see that survey needs direct access to the HTML. But there are a lot of free surveys out there that you can use without adding code to the wiki -- I've used surveymonkey before (Although you might want to ask some of the clever types on the forum is it's more possible than I think - there are some great brains out there that may know more) -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 04:24, October 16, 2010 (UTC)

ok now im seroius

ok i really didnt want to resort to this but what the fuck give us our fuckin skin back your tearing wiki's apart just give us monnocca please you are so into this skin are you blind LOOK AT ALL THE PEOPLE THAT ARE LEAVING please .... {{SUBST:User:Saiyn prince 5821/sig2}} 18:18, October 15, 2010 (UTC)

Wow your acting like its a civil war. CALM DOWN. We are all angry. I am angry too. But its not the staff thats doing this. Its the people in charge of this wikia. Also please don't swear. Kjal ( The talk| Contribs) 00:51, October 16, 2010 (UTC)

Yes, all that will manage to do is get your comment wiped, adn you warned/banned BlackSoulBlade 00:59, October 16, 2010 (UTC)

Piccolo The Super Namek

Hey, I don't know if this is the right place for this, or if you are the right person, but I am requesting someone high up in the wiki hierarchy to look at potentially removing this user as a Bureaucrat. He has repeatedly called for all of us, who are part of the Dragon Ball Fanon wiki to vandalize pages, such as yours, in response to the new skin. He has also tried a "phase 2", of cursing out wiki staff. These methods could get us banned, but he obviously doesn't care, due to his high status. Over the past few days, he has gotten increasingly erratic... and I feel his actions are really unprofessional and uncalled for, for someone of his position. He has continually threatened several members with bans, who have disagreed with his approach to the new skin. And, I think that it's getting dangerous for us who want to stay, and just work through these changes. I hope to hear from you soon! Thanks! -KidVegeta

Hi, I'll have a look. It sounds as though he said he was leaving, but perhaps he changed his mind since then. I'll drop by tomorrow and see if I can help. -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 04:28, October 16, 2010 (UTC)
Just to let you know, the user decided not to leave. {{SUBST:User:SonikFan112/sig7}} 08:11, October 16, 2010 (UTC)

It Seems Your The One

To contact. My Wiki account was recently hackd, but the matter is settled. Though, 3 useless Wiki's were made that are never used and were made with the wrong title and reason. Can I delete them somehow? On all 3 I'm a crat. Steelearth14|-_-|Have a fantastic day, also,THE GAME. 04:05, October 16, 2010 (UTC) Please help ASAP.

Hi, usually unwanted wikis can just be ignored, but if there's a reason to delete them instead, please use Special:Contact to tell us all the details, and we'll look -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 04:30, October 16, 2010 (UTC)

Changing my wiki name

Could you change the name of one of my wikis? I want the SITENAME to be "Luigi's Mansion", but I also want the top of the page to say "Luigi's Mansion Wiki - Ghosts, treasures, and more!". Could you do that for me? The URL is http://mansionluigi.wikia.com. - Drilly Dilly 04:20, October 16, 2010 (UTC)

Hello Drilly Dilly, we are taking care of this via the email you sent in to general support. Feel free to reply to the mail I just sent you. --daNASCAT@Wikia (Help Forum) (blog) 04:25, October 16, 2010 (UTC)
Well when are you gonna do it? - Drilly Dilly 14:14, October 16, 2010 (UTC)

Nerw look - VERY UPSET >.<

ANSWER ME I AM VERY ANGRY Noobs taste good And I'll eat you for dinner 17:49, October 16, 2010 (UTC)

Why will you remove the option to use monaco? The new look takes forever to load on my comp much longer than monaco and also on my ultrawidescreen computer it's all tiny and supernarrow right in the middle? Why? Also, nobody at runescape wiki is happy with the image attribution; can we receive special exclusive permission to remove it? Please? Or else i might have to design a template that duplicates thumbnai functionality without attribution. --I WILL EAT YOU 16:25, October 16, 2010 (UTC) (Also, is there a way i can change default editing screen to source so i dont have to click (edit source) each time? Thanks, --I WILL EAT YOU 16:25, October 16, 2010 (UTC))

I'm sorry you are angry, but becoming demanding isn't going to make me answer any faster.
I've been talking to Runescape admins on IRC, and will drop in again there soon. We aren't removing image attribution for any wiki at the moment, we want to see how well it works first (from what we see so far, it encourages people to view user pages and discover the community behind the edits)
There is a setting in your preferences for the rich text editor, you can choose to turn that off there -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 06:07, October 18, 2010 (UTC)

Fable Answers

Sorry if this isn't really the place to ask; although I don't think this is really an adoption request as it's not for an inactive wiki. Solar Dragon said he was going to make me a b'crat on Fable Answers (where I am currently a sysop) before he left, but for one reason or another never got round to it, so I was wondering if you could do so instead. It would be useful, if we open nominations for an extra sysop in the future, if I could perform the necessary "final actions" of that process myself without having to ask Staff or Helpers to do so in the future. Thanks for your time, Enodoc(Talk) 20:05, October 16, 2010 (UTC)

Hi Enodoc, are the other admins (if there are any) OK with you getting the b'crat flag? If they agree, then I can set it. Let me know :) -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 06:08, October 18, 2010 (UTC)
There aren't any other admins on Fable Answers (Local list users), only on the main Fable Wiki, and I don't think they've visited the Answers site much. --Enodoc(Talk) 20:23, October 18, 2010 (UTC)
It was on my to-do-list of things to do once I got unblocked. SD 05:55, October 20, 2010 (UTC)
Oh, sorry, my bad. I'll wait around a bit longer then. --Enodoc(Talk) 16:21, October 20, 2010 (UTC)

Fixed width...

causes problems for almost all screen sizes. On a 800x600 netbook I have to zoom out or scroll horizontally. On a ultrawidescreen the article only uses a little over one third of the screen width. And as for accessibilaty issues: can you imagine how much you'd have to scroll down on the new skin with a forced font size of 16? --Noobs taste good And I'll eat you for dinner 00:27, October 17, 2010 (UTC)

A bit more anonmity please! <3 <3 <3

Good morning Sannse!

I was wondering how to close my current account with Wikia. It shows my full name for some reason even on websearches and I would like to have an account that is more anonymous. How do I do this? Greta Kratz 16:06, October 17, 2010 (UTC)

Hi, there are two options: you can have your account renamed, or just make a new one. The first will keep your edits attributed to you, which is good if you want to carry them over, but does mean somone can match your name to your new account. The second is the easiest, just go ahead and make an account. If you want to link it to your facebook account, you should delink this one and make sure you create the account before linking the new one. Your old account can just be abandoned, there's no way to remove it (althoug it can be disabled by scrambling the email and password). I you want the name change option, please use Special:Contact and we can help. -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 06:14, October 18, 2010 (UTC)

Hello its me again

How does a wikia get a unique skin? On the Let Me In Wikia, instead of having a White skin like this, it had a black one. I am an admin on the Godzilla Wikia, and I feel like our wikia needs something to set it aside than the others and why not a cool skin? I have tried to find a tutorial on skins here, but it the search bar sends me to a TV Show wikia. Can you help?? {{SUBST:User:Metroid101/autosig}} 18:50, October 17, 2010 (UTC) << Sorry about my signature, I didn't make one here, so, Metroid101 just in case if you answer back through my talkpage ^_^

Hi, any admin can use the Theme Designer, the link is in My Tools in the toolbar. You might also want to look at this page of examples, there are some great themes in there to get inspiration from -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 06:20, October 18, 2010 (UTC)

Edit count

Hey, Sannse. I don't know if you've noticed, but Special:Editcount doesn't seem to be working for me. It only shows the changes I've made to Community Central (still says Wikicities.) Please fix this or tell me how to do it right, as I'd like to put my edit count on my WP user page.
Help:Smelly Users (talk) was last edited at 03:30, October 18, 2010 (UTC)

It's working for me... it says you have 3256 edits on all wikis (note, that doesn't include Uncyclopedia because of the separate user database). What are you seeing as wrong? -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 06:23, October 18, 2010 (UTC)
To get your edit count across all wikis is an operation that takes time, and the number is thus not always up to date. When it is first requested on a wiki, the "all wikis" numbers will be zero, but a short time later, the wiki will have computed them. For the same reason, this number may be somewhat out of date at times. --◄mendel► 09:42, October 18, 2010 (UTC)

Background-image

Dear Sannse :)

Why can't templates show background-images? For now I've just quitted the whole background-image tag (as you can see at www.TheDemonCycle.wikia.com's front page).

Yours, Marken4 10:25, October 18, 2010 (UTC)

EDIT: Just found out that I can't use html in my templates either! :( Why not?
What you experience are limitations of the MediaWiki software that Wikia uses. These same limitations apply everywhere it is used (e.g. Wikipedia). There are ways to work around them, if you are an admin on your wiki (as you seem to be). Try raising the question on the Community Central Forum, it is likely some people can help you there. Please describe in as much detail as you can what you are hoping to achieve (i.e. your goal) before you describe the problems you've run into. --◄mendel► 12:10, October 19, 2010 (UTC)

A compilation worth fixing

Hello Sannse. We here at the Final Fantasy Wiki have compiled a list of the New Wikia Look skin problems encountered by concerned editors. Please have a review on it and offer solutions if you can.

We look forward to your input, Sannse ^^ BLUER一番 10:32, October 18, 2010 (UTC)

Thanks for the list Bluer. I'll call in tomorrow to look at it in detail :) -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 04:01, October 20, 2010 (UTC)

Dragon Ball Fanon

Hello, User:Piccolo The Super Namek (Hes a Beaeucrat) on Dragon Ball Fanon, is telling us that user 900. 500. should come here and vandilize because of the skin. Please warn him about this. Thank you. {{SUBST:User:Goku return's/sig2}} 16:41, October 18, 2010 (UTC)

Hi, it looks like he has heard everyone telling him that this is a bad idea, and has agreed to stop. I've called in to the wiki to offer to help with a new theme there, and we are keeping a watch for problems on this wiki :) -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 04:03, October 20, 2010 (UTC)
Okay, thank you ma'am.{{SUBST:User:Goku return's/sig2}} 00:06, October 24, 2010 (UTC)

ad-free wikia

I find it highly offensive that I suddenly have to pay a great deal of money to keep my WikiScum ad free. I started that Wiki FIVE YEARS AGO on this system, and there was NEVER any warning back then that my Wiki would be held hostage like this. The ads are outrageously intrusive. I've invested 100s of hours into this system, and now i have to pay $1000s a year to maintain it? That's really offensive to me. Kingturtle 23:37, October 18, 2010 (UTC)

I'm very confused by this... wikis on Wikia have always had ads - that's how we provide the free service. Logged in users don't see most of them, just the main page ads and the spotlights for other wikis. We do offer a paid wiki alternative to the ads (for small wikis) but that's not thousands of dollars -- it's about $140 a year. And that's just available for the few wikis that want that option, not a requirement. -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 04:11, October 20, 2010 (UTC)

Wiki categories

Hi, me again, i noticed on some wikis on the bottom they have something that says "wikia's entertainment wikis" or "wikia's cooking wikis" or something like that. My wiki doesnt have that, is it because its not in a category? if not how can i get it into a category/ would i have to send a message to special:contact for that?--Sw9889 (Have something to say?) 00:10, October 19, 2010 (UTC)

Your wiki is in the Entertainment group, but I'm not sure what you mean about the bit on the bottom... maybe the spotlights? You can apply to have one of those on the spotlights page -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 04:15, October 20, 2010 (UTC
Here, i put up pics so you can see what i mean;
Sw entertainment 2
Sw entertainment
My question was how i can get my wiki featured on one of those things circled in black.--Sw9889 (Have something to say?) 23:49, October 20, 2010 (UTC)
answered below

Phase II

On this blog entry, you stated

Admins now have a way to exclude images from the photo gallery
 and to control the categories shown at the top of a page

How?

Categories can be excluded by adding to Mediawiki:Categoryblacklist, photos by adding to Mediawiki:Photosblacklist. -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 05:30, October 20, 2010 (UTC)

Toolbar Glitch

Something also potentially relating to this Phase II - today when I've been browsing, both here and on Fable Wiki, the floating toolbar and the edit button icons have been glitching. While the button icons aren't a major thing, something about the toolbar is preventing me from going to the bottom of pages. When I get to the point where the toolbar 'docks' itself under the content, my page is reset to the top again. If I press the End button on the keyboard to go to the bottom, it will do so, but as soon as I go up enough for the toolbar to begin floating again, I get sent to the top again. Do you know if this is an isolated incident, and whether it will be fixed soon? Thanks, Enodoc(Talk) 23:13, October 19, 2010 (UTC)

There were a couple of initial Javascript problems today with the release, but they should be fixed now. If you are still seeing issues, please can you send them in via Special:Contact? (Ideally from a wiki with the problem). Using that form automatically gives us some extra info for diagnosis :) thanks -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 05:33, October 20, 2010 (UTC)

Dear Sannse

Greetings from PvX. Karate Jesus and Phenaxkian both decided to stay and maintain the Wiki. So, actually, what you said is completely invalid.

Well, that's really what I'm concerned about... are they staying to maintain the wiki? Or to do what some have threatened and damage it while pretending to maintain it? I'm all for "assume good faith", but... -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 05:35, October 20, 2010 (UTC)
Removing rights on pvx is not assuming faith. It's precaution that much is clear, but bad methods. It's clear you are not giving them the chance to prove right or wrong, therefore you exclude your "Assume Good Faith". Also, it makes Wikia look bad by removing rights for "Assumptions" that's not even good in the first place. After all, isn't editing all about what a user does, not what they're assumed to do? I can see banning when it's vandalism, but not before. That's poor faith assumption even before anyone would have a chance to do anything.
Ever heard of 3 strikes your out? (Like baseball?) Obviously it's your out, before you can even "play". Is that fair to a player or team? Would you want to loose players that way or even not get any players due to those methods? I've seen this a lot, even going against promises or words. It's clear Wikia does not know about what a promise is or what it means. It's clear wikia does not know about "faith" or editing or better yet "consensus". It seems all you guys focus on is what's good for you, not the community. Sure, you've let the community voice, but it's like you've ignored just about everyone and you still go with your plan, despite that even new wikis are complaining. Also, let's not forget those on beta, etc. that gave Oasis a shot are complaining. Are you all that ignorant to ignore the world? while trying to do what "you" think? insted of the full community?
Isn't the customer always "right"?
After all, it is the users that's helping you all gain any money at all. If I am correct, you guys have paid ads that result from users clicking on pages, etc. right? What happens if and when all that ceasts, due to this turn?
You would no longer exist... Would you wish on a star that you had listened to the community?
Did you guys even consider these outcomes that you are getting, even if you all are working on to "prevent" "disasters" to wikis, when there are none? To work on "preventing chaos or loose members", when you all already are with this turn?
I really don't understand the coldness of "control" that you all seem to work on or seem to pretend to have with wikis.... When it's "consensus" that decides what to do with their wiki, right? I was told this by a wikia person, when I was b-crat and sysop on. Funny now how all this is going on and wikia is ignoring that in it's self. I feel in all honesty that it's nothing but a bureaucracy and communism move on wikia's part... Not a real smart thing, despite intentions. File:User Ariyen sig icon.gifriyen 00:57, October 21, 2010 (UTC)

Why can't we comment on your latest blog post?

Are you guys that overtly afraid of negative criticism? It was YOUR choice to go down this route, not ours. We should be given the right to at least explain why this is stupid. 72.181.47.223 00:12, October 20, 2010 (UTC)

I answered that in the blog post, we want to use the comments for updates on this post. (By the way, you know you can still edit logged in here, right? You are only banned on the one wiki... and I still hope we can resolve that) -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 05:41, October 20, 2010 (UTC)

Skin

Sorry for those comments I made about you guys, and if I am the admin on a wiki that uses Monaco how can I change the skin?? Thanks. The aura of my awesomeness shall vaporize you!!! 02:04, October 20, 2010 (UTC)

go to your PREFERENCES and then go to the SKIN tab and change to NEW LAYOUT.

Do you mean change the default? That will happen soon automatically. You can change your skin in your preferences (as mentioned above) or you can change the theme of your wiki for the new look via the Theme Designer. That in your tools menu in the toolbar at the bottom of the page -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 05:45, October 20, 2010 (UTC)

New Look Bug

I am not sure if you have been told about this particular bug, but whenever I scroll down a page or click on a link which takes me to a section of the page, it sometimes jumps back up to the top of the page! Kind of annoying really! And also great work on the new look, I have been using it for a few days now and so far, d(^_^)b (thumbs up!) Will94|talk 06:22, October 20, 2010 (UTC)

I don't think I've heard of that one so far Will - can you send in the details via Special:Contact? (preferably from a wiki you have seen this. Anything you can add will help - which page, which link, what OS/browser you use... Many thanks, and I'm glad you are enjoying the new look! -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 01:57, October 21, 2010 (UTC)

When will the new skin be default for logged-out users?

Hi Sannse. I was under the impression that Oct 20th would be the cut-off date for when logged-out users would see the new skin on wikis. Your latest blog post has caused me to doubt if that will be the case.

My interpretation is that you will automatically change all registered users preferences to the new skin (which they can then change back), and then start making the new skin the default for logged-out users on some unannounced time-table for all the wikis in the coming days. Is this correct?

If so, could I trouble you for a more accurate estimate of when this changeover will happen for Mass Effect Wiki? Admins there have expressed a desire that no changes be made to pages to accomodate the new skin until it is the default look for logged out users. Getting a more accurate estimate of when that will happen will help me (and others) know when to gear up and get the effort rolling.

Thanks. -- Dammej (talk) 06:29, October 20, 2010 (UTC)

Hi, the process of switching wikis over has started as of today, and the script to convert all registered users is currently running (2 million or so to do, so it takes time). Mass Effect Wiki is scheduled to be switched over for logged out users tomorrow morning (PST). The schedule is somewhat flexible, because it depends on technical aspects -- including purging the servers to show the updated settings, but that's the current timetable for your wiki -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 02:02, October 21, 2010 (UTC)

Wikia is clueless

I will be going too. I do not like these changes that slow up edits, remove highlighted posts, and highlight Wikia Wikia Wikia everywhere else. Clue: Wikia exists because of content others provide. When it becomes too hard to provide, people will go elsewhere. It is a shame, like Yahoo pulling the plug on Geocities: Wikia is untrustworthy, and I won't waste my time further.Robert B. Livingston 06:42, October 20, 2010 (UTC)

Jimbo

I have brought the matter of your and your fellow staffmembers' inappropriate recent conduct in regards to forking communities to Jimbo Wales. Established Wikipedia users may wish to comment on this.Access Denied 07:14, October 20, 2010 (UTC)

Why delete Monaco anyway?!

The new skin, Oasis, is really weird-looking. I will still be using it, only because I'm forced to. But why delete Monaco, anyway? Why even force us onto Oasis, why? It gives many users, including myself, headaches. What's with the deleting of Monaco? Im confused. :S THIEF 07:34, October 20, 2010 (UTC)

This page should be able to answer your questions. The change from Monaco to the new look is jarring, but that's the case with most large-scale changes. :) The 888th Avatar (talk) 07:39, October 20, 2010 (UTC)
Thanks, i'll be sure to read it. I didn't want to come off as a jerk with that last post by the way, I'm just a bit dissapointed. Thought this was a community based organisation afterall, and I can obviously see the whole community hates Oasis... before I read that link, is there any chance Monaco would come back (I'm starting to think the only thing that would bring Monaco back would be if someone sued Wikia over these headaches that occur from Oasis, haha.)? Because the new skin isn't easy on the eyes and is all squished, there's no sidebar for crien' out loud.. :( THIEF 08:01, October 20, 2010 (UTC)
Hi Theif, we've made some adjustments to the text to make it more comfortable to read, and are definitely monitoring how well that works. -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 02:08, October 21, 2010 (UTC)
IT wont work*Wildfire* 16:05, October 23, 2010 (UTC)

Mobile Skin

Hiya Sannse!

I was reading through this page and saw in a you mentioned a mobile skin to make it faster and easier for Pocket PC users(like myself) and iPOD users and I was just wondering when it may be ready for beta or even a few details might be nice?...

P.S: I'll probably be checking out Oasis soon then I'll be able to decide my position on it. :)

AdminAuditor(e)Talk 11:02, October 20, 2010 (UTC)

Hi, it's being worked on at the moment, but I don't have a definite date for it yet. We'll definitely be writing about this on the blog, but it's at too early a stage for me to have details yet -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 02:13, October 21, 2010 (UTC)

New skin

Is what we've got now the new skin? It looks dull. I can't find how to get to the main page or recent changes. I've struggled to find my contributions and recent changes. I still can't find how to find all the contributions a different user has made and that's vital to sort out vandalism. I very much hope the new skin will be better than what's here now. Proxima Centauri 12:34, October 20, 2010 (UTC)

"The first step will be to switch everyone using Monaco to the new look", yea I'm just going to hate you k? - Ikin

Proxima Centauri, you should be seeing the new look now (some people may not be switched, the change is in progress). Have you seen the gallery of themes on Danny's user page? It can be made very un-dull :)
It can take a bit of time for regular users to get used to where things have moved to.. but contributions links are still in the same place on user pages (and on history pages and so on -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 02:19, October 21, 2010 (UTC)

Transition time

Hi, Lisa,

Do you have an estimate of when my wiki, Our Brant, will be transitioned to the new look as default for all users? The original announced date was today, and it would help us communicate changes to our users off-site if I had a firmer date rather than a fuzzy "next several days".

Thanks! Mistydemeo 14:05, October 20, 2010 (UTC)

Hi Misty, I've replied via email :) -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 02:25, October 21, 2010 (UTC)

Oasis is good

Oasis is awesome, but please, don't remove Monaco. >SiPlus -talk -contributions_ 14:22, October 20, 2010 (UTC)

I'm glad you like it :) Sadly we can't keep maintaining Monaco too, but I hope you will continue to enjoy the new Wikia -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 02:27, October 21, 2010 (UTC)

Heya,

I'm having troubling registering my E-Mail - I follow the instructions (Mail me the registration E-Mail etc) but I don't recieve the E-Mail... Is there any way you can manually register it for me etc? Will!Talk 14:52, October 20, 2010 (UTC)

Hi, have you checked your spam folder? it may be that the mail is getting misfiled in there. I'll ask for the mail to be checked from our end too, and if neither of those work, I'll get it done manually. -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 03:19, October 21, 2010 (UTC)

skipping page

When editing or even viewing a page, when I scroll down the page, suddenly the page returns back to top.

This happens when the bottom of the page is accessed and makes eg. editing almost impossible.

I am now on new look, Internet IE 8.

Thank you,

Boris Rangelov 15:34, October 20, 2010 (UTC)

ps Also noticed my signature produced here 'page does not exist'?

Hi, thanks for the bug report - a second on this...odd. We'll look in to it.
I'm not sure what you mean on the signature part,can you describe the problem some more? -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 03:19, October 21, 2010 (UTC)

RE: new skin/Monaco

Ok I don't make threats or garbage but Why force Wikia to use the new skin rather than make it optional in the preferences? and why not use the decent Monaco? because the new skin is making me dizzy and confused and they will be users leaving and if the new skin is not optional I won't be on wikia-Boba fett 32 16:56, October 20, 2010 (UTC)

Yeah I checked it out and it really sucks, I mean Monaco is the only true face of wikia and alot of users are hating this "new face" so there will be great loses of such users by the 3rd of November and if there is not Monaco, no users period.-Boba fett 32 17:50, October 20, 2010 (UTC)

save monaco

Hi, It's a big change I know, and a lot to get used to. Please see the staff blogs for posts about why this change is happening -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 03:21, October 21, 2010 (UTC)

Why on Earth make it compulsory??? Proxima Centauri 11:05, October 23, 2010 (UTC)

PTSN

Please remove Piccolo The Super Namek's bureaucrative rights on Dragon Ball Fanon Wiki for the following reasons:

1. He's already left the wiki.
  2. In case he comes back, read this and possibly IP ban him for abuse of power.

If you do get rid of his power, I'd be most grateful. Also, since he left, I suggest banning his alternate [http://dragonballfanon.wikia.com/wiki/User:Super_Trunks accounts. ]

All Hail Shadow! 21:02, October 20, 2010 (UTC)

Hi, I've started a blog conversation about this on the wiki -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 03:35, October 21, 2010 (UTC)

Thanks

Thanks for at least listenng to some of our feedback. I guess i will just have too get used to this. The aura of my awesomeness shall vaporize you!!! 21:39, October 20, 2010 (UTC)

I've been using the new skin since before the beta testing started... It took me a little while to get used to where things are, but I love it now I have. I hope you will too :) -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 03:37, October 21, 2010 (UTC)

Searchbar?!?

Where did the search bar go? It's so confusing, and check this out: "The new look is very confusing and frustrating. - Wikia user with over 9000 EDITS." I will be using wikia much less if this continues. Monaco was way better than Monobook, and if you are going to get rid of it, than please give us the option to use Monaco. I would like 5 reasons why we should get rid of Monaco. Cause until than, I'm taking my wikis and leaving on November 1st: GameGear wiki, Nerfipedia, Video Game Fanon and LEGO Uncyclopedia. GG490

Hi, the search box is at the top right now. It is confusing at first for people used to a different skin, we all get very used to where things are. But that changes after a while.
We've talked on the blogs about Monaco, it's a complex skin that would take a lot of upkeep if we were to carry on supporting it. It's better for us to put all out time and resources in to the new skin -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 03:40, October 21, 2010 (UTC)

New Wikia Skin

Can my wiki be excluded from the new look? I would like that, if possible, because my computer does not seem to be compatable with this look so it makes it hard to be admin and bureaucrat of my wiki. But I still want to keep it as a Wikia. *Smoketail* Follow the Stars.... 22:16, October 20, 2010 (UTC)

this new skin has disabled a good bit that Monoco had allowed I wished the wiki I was sysop on would be excluded as well It has a lot of flaws that needs to be addressed (and has been addressed) and fixed, but we have people lacking coherent hearing or eyesight to see the problems and know how to fix them. I know many coders who have done some of the same codings as this new one and has succeeded at it doing a lot better on monoco. File:User Ariyen sig icon.gifriyen 00:16, October 21, 2010 (UTC)
The new look is something that will be on all wikis (other than Uncyclopedia and it's sister projects). It will still be a Wikia, Smoketail, this is what Wikia will look liek.
If either of you are seeing something broken or have problems with CSS or JS that's not been copied over, please let us know via Special:Contact, or you can ask for help from other users on the forums. There are a lot of people there who know how to help -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 03:45, October 21, 2010 (UTC)

Just an idea

You say that you can't keep Monaco on due to costs, why not open a donations thing then?

Just set it like "We need $$$ by this date to cover Monaco's cost for the month/year/whatever"

Keep Monaco the default, but have a pop-up when someone goes on a Wiki saying something along the lines of "Do you have a visual disability and use a screen reader? If yes, use Oasis for a better Wikia experiance." Then a button below it that will turn on Oasis, then an option to have it always go to Oasis as an unregistered, keep Oasis on at all times, or to keep Monaco on and never display the message again

BlackSoulBlade 22:23, October 20, 2010 (UTC)

Hi, Wikia is a business, so we don't take donations. It's not so much "we can't afford it" as "it doesn't make sense for us to put our time and resources in to an old version of Wikia" -- and if we don't maintain it, it will just become broken, so better to remove it. We want to put all our effort in to the new version -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 03:56, October 21, 2010 (UTC)
"We want to put all our effort in to the new version" You shouldn't. Too many wikis are leaving for you to actually want to keep this new skin. Roxy13~Dad, I'm a fairy! 16:06, November 1, 2010 (UTC)

New Format

Hello, Sannse, it's nice to talk to you again :) I would like to ask you if these two wikis, if you don't mind - http://catsofclans.wikia.com/wiki/Cats_of_the_Clans_Wiki and http://catsofthewild.wikia.com/wiki/Cats_of_the_Wild_Wiki . The format is extremely confusing, and I can't find anything. I would be very grateful if you could change it back. Thank you, Nightfall 22:58, October 20, 2010 (UTC)

Wait, never mind....I can just change it on my preferences xD Sorry for troubling you :) {{SUBST:User:Nightfall101/CurrentSig}} 23:32, October 20, 2010 (UTC)

Hi Nighfall, you can change back at the moment, but we will be removing Monaco next month... please see the FAQ for more details -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 04:00, October 21, 2010 (UTC)

New Look problem

G'day, I'm having some trouble with the new skin. Sometimes when I scroll down on Wikis, the page just goes straight back up to the top. I have only encountered this problem on the New Look, and fighting with this "auto up-scrolling" is getting extremely frustrating. Please, help me out here. OZZY 02:09, October 21, 2010 (UTC)

Hi Ozzy, nice to find you here :) For technical problems, you should contact wikia through Special:Contact if the problem persists. --((((Matias)))) ~ Talk AVATAR Wiki 03:31, October 21, 2010 (UTC)

Holy Cow!!

First, I noticed that my whole userpage was erased. This really upset me. What happened to all the work I had put into my userpage?

Secondly, I log in tonight to find the whole design of the page has been altered.

This is awful, hard to look at, difficult to navigate, etc. etc.

Why did you all find it necessary to change something that was perfectly fine the way it was.

It was plain, simple and easy (with one exception, the editor needed a major overhaul to remove all the funky stuff that made it hard to create things on a page) and this will not be happily taken by the faithful isers.

I am extremely dissapointed, and I would love the option to revert my page back to the original.

If not, I believe I'll being getting my info. from somewhere else.

This was one of the best sources for info. about FFXI, and I hate to see something like this happen, this is a sad, sad day.

Very sincerely,

Dan

Hi, Dan. I've restored your userpage...it was intact in the UserWiki namespace. Regards, CharitwoTalk 03:43, October 21, 2010 (UTC)

Other wikis leaving

I've been a very active editor and admin on 3 wikis since 1996, totalling more than 50,000 edits.

I'm sorry to say that wikis are going totally havoc with the new look and I am not going to reformat thousands of pages to fit on a handkerchief. At short term, I'll be moving all my work to more accomodating places.

--Lirielle 03:10, October 21, 2010 (UTC) (fr.shaiya and fr.grandfantasia)

Hi, you shouldn't need to reformat pages, are you seeing something breaking? Possibly you need to copy some CSS over from Mediawiki:common.css to Mediawiki:wikia.css
It's quite a change, but I hope you'll give it some time. Let me know if I can help -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 04:03, October 21, 2010 (UTC)
You sized display area down to 600 pixels and this just not acceptable. It just can't reasonably accomodate my pages. --Lirielle 02:54, October 24, 2010 (UTC)
Wikia is breaking, end of story. What possessed you to make such terrible changes?--Full Metal Fan 04:35, October 21, 2010 (UTC)

Bureaucrat

Hello. I am a bureaucrat on the Dragon Ball Fanon Wikia, and wish to inform you that one of our bureaucrats has recently left due to disagreements about the new skin. He has since tried to tell us that if we do not appoint members that he chooses as administrators, he will remove our current admins, ban them then promote those users. He is abusing his power after leaving, and he tried to do the same while active. Would you please remove his bureaucratic powers? His user page is here. Thanks. {{SUBST:User:SSWerty/sig2}} 03:44, October 21, 2010 (UTC)

replied on that wiki -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 18:04, October 25, 2010 (UTC)

You say you can only afford to put effort into one skin (not a huge, angry rant),

So why not just put that 'effort' into Monaco and keep that updated, you say "...we can't have both skins and uphold them both...So we're deleting Monaco.", so why not just delete Oasis and keep Monaco? I'm sure the haters would agree with me, and isn't Wikia losing alot of money through this horrible change? Over 12 popular wiki's (some being my favourites, too :[) have now moved due to this, most wikis being popular having over 1.5K active users each, and WoWWiki had a HUGE visitor count each day. You should really keep Monaco before Wikia loses more money, because it's likely to happen. I say it again, if the main reason for the deletion of Monaco is because you can't maintain over two skins, then why not keep Monaco and delete Oasis?

I, myself, am starting to get used to this new skin, it's not too shabby. It still hurts my eyes, but the layout of it is catching on, I'm glad to report. Maybe if other users gave it a chance, it would atleast appear okay to them after some time, and not horrible. But, eh. I still prefer Monaco more as you can see. ;)

Also, while I'm here, I thought I might ask, could you please fix this bug I'm having with Oasis? I recently had a username change and under images that I've added to articles it says my old name and not my new name, this is happening in my home wiki, Assassin's Creed wiki, where I am a rollback (soon-to-be sysop). Thanks in advance if you could fix those image problems! :)..

From, THIEF 05:03, October 21, 2010 (UTC)

I think your comments on getting used to the skin are key... it takes time, and we need to give people that time -- and then make decisions on how the skin is used in practice as well as on feedback.
I've reported the bug with the username change tool. Thanks for letting me know -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 18:10, October 25, 2010 (UTC)
We've tried it, and most of us hate it! Just be glad I'm too polite to cuss in public forums, otherwise your page would be too foul to read. Roxy13~Dad, I'm a fairy! 16:04, November 1, 2010 (UTC)

The removal of my rights, and my block on the Talisman Online Wiki

I would like to comment here, on your personal talk page regarding your actions on a wiki that I have for the most part built with the assistance of 2 other people who I promoted to admin. One of which you have also stripped of their admin rights and blocked. You quoted comments from our new wiki site made by me as the reason for his demotion and block, but I would like to point out to you that I was asking him NOT to continue to alter the Wikia wiki. We have deleted only a couple of images (the logo and favicon) that contained the Talisman Online logo (that I created using art from Miracle Castle, the game's publishers), replacing them with images that gave prominence to the Wikia brand. I removed areas of the main page that would most suffer from the lack of regular maintenance in an attempt to keep the wiki looking as clean as possible, as I felt that was best for the Wikia site in the long run. Yes, we have changed the branding on the site to reflect it is the wiki on Wikia. I thought Wikia would appreciate that effort on our part, and instead we get punished for it. Well, I for one am not going to miss the disrespect I have received from this company and am very pleased to be joining the Curse.com network of communities. I just find your tactics rather bewildering. I hope you are being well compensated by Wikia Inc. for your callus treatment of the people who have made this company what it is. When I took over the Talisman Online site 7 months ago, there were 3 incomplete articles no images to speak of, and I have almost single handedly (almost 8,000 edits) built it into a somewhat usable site. It will go back to it's nearly complete obscurity very shortly as I have the support of the game's publisher in making our move known. While you inflate page numbers unbelievably (the data dump provided only 975 articles rather than the 1634 Wikia claims we have) you will continue to hold top spot on the search engines, and that is something I DID FOR WIKIA. It's Wikia Inc, and you and the rest of the poor Wikia minions who are not allowing me to leave peacefully. -- Wynthyst talk 05:39, October 21, 2010 (UTC)

Wynthyst: I think it's clear enough that you asked him not to make the changes because staff would notice your intentions to harm the wiki and stop you. Which, we did and we did (with great reluctance). I'm back after a weekend mostly offline, so I'll call in to the wiki to talk further -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 18:16, October 25, 2010 (UTC)
Don't bother. Our 7 active members have moved to our new site, hosted by Curse.com, where their staff understand gaming communities. The fact that I made a bad word choice in my post to Balistic on OUR NEW WIKI, does not resolve you of your responsibility to DISCUSS your concerns prior to taking action. As you can see from the several comments left by other wiki editors on the talk:main page, the changes we made to make the Wikia site less needful of DAILY updates and to increase the Wikia branding is actually a common sense move. As I stated, we were not planning for any mass deletions, people can still view the content by way of the search box if they choose, and anyone who chooses to adopt it at a future time are welcome to change it however they please.
I would like to point out to you that the fact that the Wikia site WAS a recognized fansite by the game's publisher is what allowed us to use their copyrighted images, but now that it is no longer a recognized fansite, it might put Wikia into a gray area where the copyright of those images is concerned. You might be receiving a notice from Miracle Castle Limited to remove all copyrighted images from the site. Don't look for us to return. -- Wynthyst talk 08:12, October 27, 2010 (UTC)

Not-so-good "new look"

is it possible to switch my wiki back to my former monaco because i've spent the last week modifing my wiki, the Braaains wiki, to my liking and now it is all gone! please make it back!!!!

Hello Sannse,

I wrote yesterday about page going up, I read today a similar message here, so maybe this will be resolved with time.

As for my signature, first on "preview" it was red / page doesn't exist, but after I saved, signature appeared normal, so it is not a problem.

Thank you very much for your reply,

Boris Rangelov 10:49, October 21, 2010 (UTC)

Hello, is there any way to add a large background to the new wiki style? And do you people at central add these new wiki rewards cause i was wondering if you could add one to Crysis Wiki. --CryGame--

Hi,

I have a question. What if Wiki won't like new look? What if Monako is better?--Guurahk 13:23, October 21, 2010 (UTC)

Hi, I'm not too sure who wrote what in this section, so I'll sorta merge my reply a bit :)
Braaains wiki: sorry about that! However much we tried to give warning, it was going to catch some people in the middle of customising. If you let me know the URL of the wiki, I can pop in and see if I can help you with the transition. Or you can change things very quickly with the Theme Desiger (it's in MyTools on any wiki you are an admin, and on the Theme Designer wiki)
Rangelov: It's definitely being looked at, and should be fixed for most people (or maybe all) now... all the feedback on what people are seeing has been really useful!
CryGame: You can do this with the Theme Designer on an wiki where you are an admin. Just choose "customize" then click the graphic to upload an image (which needs to be under 100kb). If you want to test it, try the Theme Designer wiki
Guurahk: Having used both myself (I've been switched to the new look since before the Beta testing), I'm very confident that the new look is the better skin :) I think it will take a while for people to get used to, it took me time too, but now I feel much more comfortable using the new skin -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 18:27, October 25, 2010 (UTC)

Ok, but what about possibility to switch between Monako and New Look? It'd be better, don't you think?--Guurahk 14:44, October 26, 2010 (UTC)

It's not practical to keep both, I'm afraid -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 01:28, October 28, 2010 (UTC)
Unpracitical? Everyone will have this look, which in his opinion is the best. It isn't unpractical. Monako is easier and looks much more clear. Not everyone can use the new look. Don't understand me wrong, but why do you want to change something good?--Guurahk 09:02, October 31, 2010 (UTC)

WoW wiki

Can you explain why WoW wiki has bigger fixed width on the new skin than the rest of the wikis? So can we have bigger width too? Maybe just allow each wiki to choose width that's best for their content. I'm awaiting fair response. Regards, Final-Cannon

It was their last ditch attempt to keep them from moving their community to http://www.wowpedia.org It's too bad it was too little too late. -- Wynthyst talk 17:31, October 21, 2010 (UTC)

Hi Final Cannon: It's something we are trying on just the one wiki right now. There were a few things involved in the decision, the main one being that WoWWiki is a very large wiki with a high percentage of visitors using high resolution screens. With less people on 1024px wide (or less) than the norm, the problem of that resolution having a scrollbar is not as significant as usual. We'll be watching closely to see how well this works, but I'm not expecting that we will expand this experiment in the near future -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 18:31, October 25, 2010 (UTC)

Logging in/toolbox on Opera

I use opera as a browser, and from what I've heard/read, it's the most strict about coding errors and the like. My problem is probably based on some errors then I think.

When I tried to log in on monaco or Oasis (or wikia skin as it's called now), I get a pop-up to log in, and everything grayed out, including the pop-up. I could fill in my username, but whenever I clicked anywhere within my browser window, the pop-up closed and the colours went back normal. Using tab, I could only cycle through some of the search stuff on the page itself. The only way I could log in was by disabling javascript so the log in button brought me to a seperate page.

The same problem occurs with the toolbox customisation on Oasis, except that disabling javascript makes the button do nothing at all.--TalkpageEl_Nazgir 19:28, October 21, 2010 (UTC)

Hi, I've just tried using Opera 10.61 and 10.63, and am not seeing the same thing. Are you using an older version? You may want to try updating if so, to make sure it's not an issue with the version you have. If that doesn't help, it's probably best if you use Special:Contact to email us (preferably from a wiki where you can see the problem) . That way, we get some extra info on your system to help us troubleshoot. Thanks -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 18:53, October 25, 2010 (UTC)

TurtleShroom's Block

Hi I was wondering about this, and I want to ask if you know who the guy with a similar name to TurtleShroom was, and tell me who he is so this mess can be cleared up.

Thanks.

{{SUBST:Mecsig}} 20:14, October 21, 2010 (UTC)

Hi, the standard block reason is a bit vague (I'll look at tweaking that) but the block was for TurtleShroom. I'm afraid he's been leaving his long and unreasonable rants around for far too long now. I think it's time he found another site to hang out on. -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 18:55, October 25, 2010 (UTC)

I have two main issues with that:

1. The block reason given was that a different vandal with a similar name was being annoying. Here, you say that that was not the reason. This is admitting to lying right to our faces.

2. You already blocked him on central wiki to stop his so caled "spam". Why then, do feel it is needed to globally block him and deprive him of that which he is passionate about. TS is one of the greatest, friendliest and all round best users I have ever met. How could you do that to him? I see no reason to ban a perfectly nice guy who was simply stating what he thought. Do you simply hate him?

Either way, I may be banned for this. I can't stop you if you wish to silence me and continue depriving the users of Right 19. Senator Benton said in 1850 when a gun was aimed at him by another senator: "I have no pistols. Let him fire! Stand out of the way and let the assassin fire!". As I said before, I cannot stop you banning me, but I suspect you are banning us simply because we don't agree with you. That seems a tad opinionated, eh?

--{{SUBST:Sheepsiggy}} 16:34, October 31, 2010 (UTC)

Solar Dragon

Why has Solar Dragon been perma-blocked globally? His account was blocked for 2 weeks almost 2 weeks ago for insulting wikia staff, and now without warning or reasoning, his block got lengthened to infinite globally. Right after he actually apologised to you, and asking you to pass on his apologies to Sarah. He is a valuable contributor on many wikis, including UnAnswers where I am bureacrat. Could you please unblock him? If you don't, I am very interested in the exact reasoning behind the lengthening.--TalkpageEl_Nazgir 20:14, October 21, 2010 (UTC)

Hi, that was a bug in the blocking system, his ban expired last week and he's able to edit. -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 18:57, October 25, 2010 (UTC)

Bug in Oasis

Hi Sannse!

I thought I might ask, could you please fix this bug I'm having with Oasis? I recently had a username change and under images that I've added to articles it says my old name and not my new name, this is happening in my home wiki, Assassin's Creed wiki, where I am a rollback (soon-to-be sysop). Thanks in advance if you could fix those image problems! :)..

Thanks again, --THIEF 21:03, October 21, 2010 (UTC)

Hi, it's a bug in the new rename system, rather than in the new skin (it's missing out one of the tables of data it seems)... it's in the bug queue, so hopefully the guys can squish it :) -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 18:58, October 25, 2010 (UTC)

What have you done...

I don't know if you guys get paid to do this or what, but I thought that only the UK suffered drastic spending and public service cuts, so why did you end up firing the people with the brains and creative direction? The new look is disgusting... As for killing Monaco, please don't. Is there really any negative to leaving the option to use Monaco over the "improved Wikia skin"? Do you lose any money? If not, please, PLEASE, leave the option there for people who don't want to deal with the "better" skin. Thanks.--10.61 22:03, October 21, 2010 (UTC) ==

Apparently they can't afford to keep both Monaco and Oasis at the same time. DP 22:16, October 21, 2010 (UTC)
It's not about "afford" it's about good business sense (10.61: we are a business, not a public service :) It doesn't make sense for us to put our resources in to an old skin, rather than the new one... we want to put all our effort in to the new version and not in to supporting an old one. -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 19:05, October 25, 2010 (UTC)

stolen info

this was taken out of context from her personal blog. Circumcision was NOT baby Joshua's cause of death. This was STOLEN WITHOUT PERMISSION from Jill. This is NOT ok to post on a website and taken completely out of context. This woman is mourning the death of her son. This is just sick!!

[link removed]

Hi, it's generally up to the admins on a wiki to decide content... although I know this is a wiki with some issues. We are discussing this with the admins there, and any specific issues can be sent to us via the contact form. If you write to us, please be very specific about the problem text and so on, and include any links... it can be hard for us to see what the exact issue is as we don't know the topic! Thanks -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 19:17, October 25, 2010 (UTC)

new skin

hello ma am I am a frequent reader on the wiki's and I just want to say that the new skin sucks and you are making a lot of users angry. Now I just want to know why can't we keep the old skin as an option to make it so people who prefer the new skin happy while aking people who like the new skin happy? I just hope that you keep the old skin as an option because I believe that you shouldn't force change onto people that don't want it.

Hi, there's some more info on why we aren't leaving Monaco as an option on the staff blog. I'm afraid it's really not possible to keep old skins maintained rather than put all our resources in to the new one (and an unmaintained skin will just break more and more over time) -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 19:23, October 25, 2010 (UTC)

New layout

Is there any way to go back to the old layout? I am used to the old one on call of duty wiki.XDEATHMAN4aP90xXDEATHMAN4aP90x 23:47, October 21, 2010 (UTC)

At the moment, you can change it in your preferences. That's to give everyone a little more time to try things out and get prepared for the final switch -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 19:33, October 25, 2010 (UTC)

Shoutbox Leaving

I understand that neither you nor any other member of the Wikia Community Team is going to listen to any complaint about the Shoutbox being taken away. I also understand that this will probably be regarded as spam and ignored. However, I shall never be able to restrain myself from sharing my beliefs, especially in a situation like this. I do, after all, live in a country where freedom of speech is the most valued principle. So do you.

I would like to request that you and the other members of the Community Team take a look at this so that you can get a feel for just how much the Shoubox means to some of us.

Again, realizing just how little this may mean to any of you, where the many petitions and other messages meant nothing, I appreciate the fact that you took time to read this.

Sincerely,

Snowpaw the Wild

Hi Snowpaw. We know that the shoutbox was important to some people, even though it was hardly used when you look at the site as a whole (I don't recall the figures, but it was a tiny number compared to how many are active on Wikia). We are looking in to adding the shoutbox as a special page -- but that will have to be when we have some extra time, things are so very busy right now! But I would love to have a really good alternative in the future, something with a proper scrollback and other features... and that works well for everyone on Wikia -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 19:43, October 25, 2010 (UTC)

Vandalism

Hello. At the Dragon Ball Fanon Wiki, the user you recently removed from bureaucrat has used two back up accounts and is once again vandalising the wiki. Would you please remove both from their bureaucratic status, and ban the IP address from Wikia? Also, I would prefer it if you simply removed them without any word on that wiki, as they are likely to take action against it. Their pages are here and here. Thanks in advance. {{SUBST:User:SSWerty/sig2}} 03:33, October 22, 2010 (UTC)

It's my fault for his second account SSWerty. (I'm hating myself.) Also, there's a possibility that he made the PrinceVegeta account a bureaucrat. I'm not sure though... -NomadMusik
EDIT: "Here's HyperZergling: There is another problem. Right before you removed Piccolo The Super Namek from his position, as a last ditch of effort to vandalize as much of this wiki as he could, he made a good portion of users into bureaucrats. Please remove the recently-appointed users from the bureaucrat, administrator, and rollback positions who were not originally in those positions. That includes me, of course. (I already demoted myself; I didn't know that I could initially.)"
Anyway... I think I demoted myself, but I'm not too sure... -NomadMusik
I'll check in again later today to make sure all is still OK after the weekend fixes :) -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 19:44, October 25, 2010 (UTC)

Switch my wiki to monobook

How do i make my wiki mono book only where all who come be switched to the monobook like mario wiki????????

Luma451 16:01, October 22, 2010 (UTC)

Go to your preferences and select skin then you'll find Mono book and Monaco (which is on death-row) as well as the "New Look"

You can't make it so everyone that goes there sees Monobook (or you won't be able to after Nov. 3) That's not allowed anymore. Each person will have to change it in their own preferences. -- Wynthyst talk 21:00, October 22, 2010 (UTC)

Sorry Luma451, Monobook hasn't been available as the default setting for some years now. It's available as a personal choice, but not as the one that logged out visitors see. -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 19:48, October 25, 2010 (UTC)

Stupid New Look Grrr

This new look is the worst idea ever! I have looked at peoples user's pages' and most of them HATE this new look! Why can't you just cancel this dump idea and leave it the way it is?! PhilliesGo Phillies!!! 19:04, October 22, 2010 (UTC)

by switching all of the pages to the "new look" you have succesfully waisted about a year or more of my life. i created the d6 holocron page in a way that would allow my visiters to use the pages using menues instead of random clicks or hopefull searches. with the new look the menues are completly wiped out. and without them most people are not going to be able to find the information im providing. its ending up being that if they know what they are looking for then they dont need to search. this change should have been a choice of the wikia admin or creator instead of a system wide push. the new look doesnt even look new with technology, it just looks drab and even has less useable features. i am not an old fart who is afraid of change when i tell you this, i love change. but this one is just flat out bad. i gave this new layout a chance, and i need the ability to have the old mono back as the default appearance to all visiters.

Bsdoblivion 20:39, October 22, 2010 (UTC)

There are a couple of problems with very large menus. One is that they slow down the site... we've actually seen strong effects on some wikis where they have tried to add all their pages to the menus -- it's not scalable and it can be damaging! The other issue is that people don't actually use them. We did some testing with real wikis and looked at how much visitors used various menus in Monaco. Where they have many options, people end up not using them -- they get a lot fewer clicks overall than if the menu is clear and concise. I understand that you put a lot of effort in to getting everything organised, but what we have seen in testing is that it's better to work on making a clear menu system with the most popular pages quickly available, rather than trying to make the menus show everything. That will help people find what they are most likely to be looking for, and then they are more likely to stay around and read more! I hope that helps :) -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 20:01, October 25, 2010 (UTC)
I'm sorry Sannse, but there is a major difference between stopping people from "linking to all pages" and setting a limit as low as 4x7 menu items. Overloading the navigation menus is one thing, but not allowing people to arrange their wiki's navigation in a way that makes sense for the wiki in question is just bad. I don't want to violate the NDA, but you know full well that some communities (like my home wiki) had their navigation organized very efficiently, to the point where it was far more used than the search box, for example. You have essentially forced us to take a major step backwards in this regard, and our users (editors and readers alike) are rightfully complaining about it. -- Porter21 (talk) 14:58, October 26, 2010 (UTC)
Yep, there's a difference of course. I don't know where the right level is, but I trust the designers to have given us the balance that's the most likely to work. And I know there is active click tracking to test whether the current navigation is working, it will take a while to get full results from that but I have been told the initial results look good -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 01:32, October 28, 2010 (UTC)
Click tracking can't really tell you whether the limit is appropriate - how are you going to "click track" that people would find a differently organized navigation more useful? Trying to rely on objective numbers is all nice and well, but it's no excuse to ignore user feedback. -- Porter21 (talk) 09:35, October 28, 2010 (UTC)

New Look

Hi, Sannse. I'm the administrator for the Wii Sports Wiki. I would like to request that the new look for wikia may be removed from the wiki. I have found that it is difficult to look up the home page and various other important pages. Please put back the original monaco-style. Thanks Mighty the Hedgefox "I pity the fool!"-Mr.T 20:54, October 22, 2010 (UTC)

Hi, can the old version of the wiki revert back to normal? I'm having difficulties of adapting to the new version, thx. Max117D 21:28, October 22, 2010 (UTC)

Hi both. You can switch back to the old skin for yourself for a little longer, but not as a default for the wiki. Mighty the Hedgefox, you can still click the wiki's name (or wordmark image, if you've added one) to get to the main page. You can also add special pages to your "my tools" menu in the tool bar at the bottom of the page (that's where the Theme Designer is too, if you want to change the design of the wiki)
I had a similar time of adaption, Max, it takes a little while for those of us used to the old one... but now I've aclimatised, I feel much more confortable with the new look than when I have to switch back to Monaco for testing -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 20:59, October 25, 2010 (UTC)

New look fixing please :).

To Sannse:

Dear Sannse,I am now willing to use the new look much more but I must ask can you please fix the withd of it?Please everything is maximaxed it really hurt's my eyes alot of people agree with that I do to its very maximized and the article space is to small please fix that and allow us to edit the background for our wiki.Ok?Also please reduce the size of the main listing bar its 50% bigger it doesnt need to be that big,and the ads for other wiki's below are to big aswell why is everything so big and has so much valuble space to use yet is still cluttered?Also there's not many link's to use we need more links and the empty space should be filled with recent edits you know like on monaco.It show's recent edit's on the lower left of the screen below the mainlisting bar please add that to the new look aswell.Please fix all those problems those are the main reason people dont like it.Thanks :).

Sincerely,Lssj4

Hi Lssj4, don't forget you can add recent changes (and a lot of links) to your mytools menu in the toolbar at the bottom of the screen... I know it can be hard to get used to the new look, and it's likely there will be tweaks over time, so bear with us :) -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 21:04, October 25, 2010 (UTC)
Bear with you? Not a chance. The smart ones of us are getting out while we still can, and before you make it impossible to move. Roxy13~Dad, I'm a fairy! 16:10, November 1, 2010 (UTC)

keep the old skin

dear sannse

Hello I am a reader and member of several wikis and I want to know why can't we keep the old skin while being allowed the option to use the new skin? You see how many people are not happy about being forced to use the new skin? I don't get why you want to force change that a'lot of us don't want onto us and how a lot of people/wikis are leaving? If you really care for your fanbase you will keep the option to use the old skin. I hope that you read this and give me a response. if you don't, its obvious that you care more about money and yourselfs, than the community.

Sincerly Gin7

Why can't people at the top think before they press the red button?

I love wikia, make no mistake about that, however this new unsightly format you are forcing down our throats like a date-rape drug will end badly for wikia, already several wikia sites have left, more will follow if you really insist on this course of stupidity. It does not help you are forcing the numerous wikia sites to change is a real **** move. One that will win you no friends or anything else remotely friendly from those who understand that what you are doing is less than intellegent. You are forcing those you really love the wikia sites they love, Narutopedia being an example, to serously consider leaving rather than having to deal with the horrendously done format. I have already sent my admittedly angry response to this UGLY redesign, so I will not resort to rampant cursing since it probably will not do anything productive regardless. All I ask is that you give the admins of each site the CHOICE to adopt the new style rather than forcing a metaphorical cyanide pill down the throats of the users, visitors, and admins of the various wikia sites. Lastly, I will say this and end my comment here, whoever you got to do this new design needs to be fired and black-listed because clearly they have absolutly no knowledge concerning User Interface design because not only is the new format really ugly and obtuse, but it is also very counter intuitive. For the love of all you hold dear, understand and follow what the community as a whole wants. -Random annoyed wikia vistor

Hi both, I do understand your concerns, it's a big change! We want to put all our resources in to the new skin, so it's not practical for us to keep the old skin available. Especially as it's likely to break over time unless we put a lot of work in to keeping it up to date. That would be an extra problem when we upgrade the wiki software to the latest version (which is due soon, probably early in the new year). -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 21:20, October 25, 2010 (UTC)

Then get rid of the new skin. A majority of users hate it and don't want to be stuck with it. Why don't you listen to the community and keep the old skin? i think you guys should let the community vote on this issue. I don't get why the admins of wikia keep saying try it and other junk like that? I did try it and I think that is really sucks its ugly, the page keeps forcing me up when i am reading, and it s just terrible. I hope that you come to your senses and don't force it upon us, if you do it is obvious that you think that the community is powerless scum. Gin7

so you didn't respond just as i thought well I guess you are not getting rid of oasis. you proved to me that you hate your comminty well as a result I am leaving the wiki s. I hope you are happy you Fascist. Gin7

History of talk pages

Can you please tell me where the history of talk pages is? ~Hyper Zergling 01:09, October 23, 2010 (UTC)

In your My Tools button.  Zolovian ADMIN   Discusión    Contribuciones  

Suggestions regarding the new skin

Personally, I don't like the new skin, and it's for one reason: the sidebar. It's wider and more in the way than in the Monaco skin, and ends up scrunching the article text to about half the screen. In Monaco, it's off to the side and interferes little with the article itself.
Another suggestion is to leave the Monaco skin available for those who wish to use it. I can't see what purpose removing it completely will have except to annoy people.
~Hitaka 02:03, October 23, 2010 (UTC)

Hi Hitaka, thanks for the feedback. I've written a little further up the page about why we aren't keeping the old skin, it's just not practical I'm afraid -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 21:22, October 25, 2010 (UTC)

FFXIclopedia fixed width

Hello, I'm a sysop on FFXIclopedia. In light of the discussion here http://www.wowwiki.com/Forum:Fixed_width_changed_for_the_new_look , I would like to ask for an adjustment to the fixed width on FFXIclopedia. We are not very happy with the effect of the "new look" on the layout of many pages on our wiki. Instead of posting in an angry rage, we would like to give you the chance to work with us in making a comprimise. On many of the most important changes, the narrow fixed width has resulted in many tables and charts looking squished and table cells wrapping to multiple lines when they wouldnt have before. As with WoWwiki, I would expect that our users tend to use higher screen resolutions and can browse our wiki more comfortably with a wider fixed width. I realize Wikia was going for a measure of consistency across its site, but different kinds of wikis have different needs, and this one size fits all approach just isn't working. Please hear me out on this, and post over on my FFXIclopedia talkpage if possible. I would really appreciate your consideration. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 02:47, October 23, 2010 (UTC)

Hi Tahngarthor. We aren't intending to change this on other wikis at the moment -- we very much want to see how well it works WoWWiki, and the same for the current width elsewhere. There were a lot of things considered in the change for that wiki, so I don't want to focus entirely on screen resolutions... but for FFXIclopedia, 1024x768 is the most common screen resolution for your visitors. So if we were to put FFXIclopedia on the same set up as WoWWiki, then most of your readers would have a scroll bar on every page. For tables, I know the tech team is working on some ideas for improving the display of wide tables... that will be available on all wikis when it's ready, so it should help with your wrapping tables an all -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 21:42, October 25, 2010 (UTC)
We also have some very wide images which need to be shown at their full resolution. They display fine, but only because they're located below all of the sidebar content on the page. We would strongly prefer it if the width of the content area was at least as wide as the flowchart pic on this page: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/The_Salt_of_the_Earth . Is there not some way you can set it up so that at least the width now is a default but it can expand to at least the width of the widest object on the page? I feel compelled to point out that the appearance of the new look itself is not what bothers people. I think it looks fine. It's the drastic changes of functionality, the fixed width, and burying important functions under menus where they are more difficult to access that is causing so much frustration. As for common resolutions, It is likely because players who use a console version do not have a powerful computer, combined with the age of the game. Whatever the plans are for addressing concerns like this, it needs to be done soon, as even those of us who aren't totally against the new design are getting a little frustrated at this point. If the team was aware of these kinds of issues, they shouldn't have imposed the rollout until these things were ready. After all, it wasn't exactly a vital change for the survival of the site from anyone's point of view, even if they like the skin. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 22:14, October 25, 2010 (UTC)
Also, this issue is a bit more odd: The font in our navigation boxes seems to have grown in size without us doing anything, and in combination with the fixed width, has caused these boxes to becom much larger than they were before. Maybe you can look into this? Additionally inflated line spacing is also contributing to this problem. Addressing these may lessen the need for a different width. I firmly request some assistance with this. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 00:37, October 26, 2010 (UTC)
I tried that image at 650px, and it really does look OK to me. Especially as I can click on it and see it in a lightbox at full size. I know it's different, but I don't think it looks broken or wrong.
I understand the frustrations, but I also understand the reasons for the changes, and hope I can pass that on to you and others on Wikia... the change in the number of clicks to get to some features for example - the aim there is to make it much easier to find the most important functions. A beginner doesn't need "what links here", but if it's one of the many links presented to them in their first view it's confusing. An expert can find the link.. another click away, but still there.
On the template -- that sounds like a piece of missing CSS in Mediawiki:Wikia.css -- can you link me to an example so I can look more closely? Thanks -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 01:43, October 28, 2010 (UTC)
The image in the example looks fine because it's below the bottom of the sidebar. If it were higher on the page, one would cover up the other (I'm not sure which). I suppose we can plan around this for future things but it's still a little bothersome. As for the template, http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Template:EnhancingNavbox (For other examples , Template:BlueNavbox , Template:SongsNavbox ). The font size is larger when vieed on Oasis than it is on Monobook. Combining this with the narrower width on Oasis, and these navboxes take up almost the entire page. They were large to begin with, which is fine, but it becomes over the top on the new skin (box takes up almost the full window). I can't just alter the font parameters, because that would make it look different under MonoBook. A style change would be needed to restore these boxes to normal. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 22:08, October 28, 2010 (UTC)
I mean that I resized the image in a preview, and it works at 650px. One of the main factors in the decision to use fixed width is to give a layout that will work for as many people as possible -- with very wide images, those with lower resolution monitors will be seeing it broken already. Over time, as pages are edited to fit the fixed width, they will work for as many people as possible.
I looked at the templates, but they don't have different sized text for me... it might be a system or browser difference, or maybe you have different fonts installed. I asked Charitwo to look too, and he thinks the wrapping behaviour is a bit odd, but the fonts look the same to him too. Maybe if you uploaded a screenshot that would help us see the problem? -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 04:57, October 29, 2010 (UTC)
Understandable logic, but as technology advances, more people will be able to accomodate wider widths- at which point, if the width is changed in the future, we will have to undo all of the work we undertook to adjust for the narrower width.
On the template: I took an image under MonoBook, and another under Oasis- I adjusted the width of my browser window such that the box would render at approximately the same width as on Oasis, to make the comparison accurate. The titlebar font is clearly larger, and while the text on the interior of the template turned out to be the same size (My bad on that), the significant increase in line spacing on Oasis is making all of these navigation boxes considerably taller (The line spacing is what made the fonts seem larger)
-Monobook
-Oasis
If this is allowed without breaking the user agreement, reducing the line spacing would probably do enough for now.
On tables, I hope you guys can come up with a good solution on how these are rendered, because we have a lot of large tables, This one probably being the worst offender, that can't be easily narrowed without potentially making the information shown less clear. Many of these tables do display fine as long as they're below the bottom of the sidebar- but padding the page to move the chart down the page doesn't seem like a great solution. If you have any suggestions and/or can give me any answers on the plans for tables, feel free. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 07:57, October 30, 2010 (UTC)

Lurkmore.ru

Hi, I'm Zoi, one of the founders of this site. Could you move it here with redirect: ru.lurkmore.wikia.com. We believe that it would be better to us and to Wikia. Kosty Zoi 09:42, October 23, 2010 (UTC)

Hi, please could you send the details to us via "Special:Contact" (on your wiki)? Please remember to give a link to the wiki in your mail :) Thanks -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 22:04, October 25, 2010 (UTC)

Examples

No one wants the "new look" we want the good look which is monacco. in "Du-nunun! Wiki skin again" you said "making that skin the best it can be" if you want it to be the best it can be you would leave it set on monacco and forget about getting a new skin. and in "Skin Loosing..." you said "I hope Piccolo will return when things settle down" he wont no one will. the only reason anyone will return is 1. to delete there user, or 2. if you bring monacco back, just look at your talk page and try and count how many people hate it (so far its 23 to 5 and most people dislike it) and how many people love it no one loves it they might like it but no one loves it. if you want people to be happy you will leave the skin alone.your just telling us you cant do anything but, you can everyone hates it you cant do this you cant take monacco away. your probably going to say somthing like this "im sorry if thats how you feel but i cant do anything i hope you decide to stay" well if i stay its only going to be because everyone is going to leave warriors wiki and they will need help but if YOU & YOUR FRIENDS dont get rid of oais i will tell everyone to ask YOU about their problems and i will personally leave a message here every day.YOU DONT HAVE TO CHANGE you think people will like it well they wont they have told you their opinons and youre ingnoring them people arent staying their moveing there wikis look at my blog on warriors wiki its called "WHAT HAPPEND?!?!?!?" i dont like it and half of the wikis are already planned to move YOU could stop them by telling their admins that monacco isnt leaving but youre going to sit around and do nothing. i have told you what will happen and what you can do to fix it if you listen to me thats your choice its your choice if wikia "lives" or "dies" we have warned you. if you want to reply im most active on warriors wiki *Wildfire* 13:21, October 23, 2010 (UTC)

Hi Wildfire. I just want you to know I've read your message. I don't think there is anything else I can say right now, I'm sorry you are upset -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 22:18, October 25, 2010 (UTC)

A few more Questions

Sannse I have four more questions that I hope you don't mind answering. Yes I like fours, truly it was coincidence, but whatever.

1. With the fixed width that is now all over Wikia with the new skin, many of our templates and info boxes on the Mass Effect Wiki squish the text on quite a few pages. Quite a few examples: M-12 Locust, Captain Wasea, Miranda Lawson, Blue Suns Trooper. Currently we are working on a template for all of the enemies in Mass Effect similar to the info boxes on the Captain Wasea and Blue Suns Trooper page, which are enemies from Mass Effect 2. These info boxes present vital information to the reader and we really can't modify them to be any smaller without compromising them in what information they present and now they present it. Also other pages like the Mass Effect Guide, are now even longer and require much scrolling. While we understand the need for consistency, we are hoping that we can work with the Wikia staff in order to expand our content area.
  2. Question about user talk and user pages, where are the links for the history of those pages. This was a very useful feature on Monaco for picking up on vandalism and quickly undoing it. This has happened more than a few times on the ME Wiki. If this feature has been removed, then can you please bring that back?
  3. What is up with the scrolling? Whenever I get to the bottom of a page, I instantly get shot back up to the top. On pages like the Mass Effect Guide I linked above, or on other long pages, it gets very annoying very quickly.
  4. One final question. I noticed that some wikis still have talk pages and some have comments like blogs at the end of an article. I really have to ask, will the commenting thing become mandatory, or will talk pages survive? We at the ME wiki have found talk pages to be extremely useful at identifying problems or discussing changes to pages and I know that there are quite a few people that will miss them if we have to resort to commenting like blogs.

Again thanks in advance for answering. Lancer1289 20:29, October 23, 2010 (UTC)

Sorry just thought of a fifth question.

5. Currently we noticed that level 4 headlines (====) don't have edit markers anymore. Was this feature removed or is this a bug, as we use and I've seen many other wikis use Level 4 headlines and even Level 5 on some pages, espeically on gaming ones with walkthoughs. If this is a bug, then can it be fixed. And if this was removed, than can you forward a request to whoever makes these decisions to bring it back. And example: Lair of the Shadow Broker (mission).

Again thanks in advance for answering. Lancer1289 20:38, October 23, 2010 (UTC)

Hi Lancer, let's see...
1. It looks to me as though the only thing keeping the info boxes that size in all your examples is the image width... have you considered reducing that? We are also looking at an idea to allow infoboxes to go in the right sidebar, which may be a good solution for the future. We don't plan to change the fixed width at the moment, but we are monitoring the effects of all the changes, including the fixed width.
2. History links are always in the "My Tools" menu in the toolbar. For articles, they are also on the "Edited by" dropdown as a shortcut
3. That's a bug with IE. It's fixed for most people now, but some systems/browser versions may still be seeing the problem -- especially on slow connections. Sorry about that, the guys are working on it.
4. We are intending to support both. For new wikis, the default is comments... but most older wikis use talk pages.
and for your bonus question ;)
5. That was a design choice - the balance was between making the edit links easier to see, and having them too prominant and in the way. So the mid point was to have them bigger and near to the title they relate to... but leaving them off of the sub-sub-headings. But I'll pass on your feedback of course -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 23:12, October 25, 2010 (UTC)

The new look

I really don't like it. I can not see the history of pages, I don't see how to get to an article's talk page...Nothing. It is much harder to use than the old one. -UG1003

Hi, the history link is in your "my tools" menu. And the talk page link is the speech bubble at the top of each page. It takes a little while for those of us used to the old style to convert, but I've found I go to those links automatically now :) -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 23:15, October 25, 2010 (UTC)
  • The talk bubble representation isn't too bad, but it could be made a little more prominent. Article discussion is a vital component of any wiki. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 05:45, October 31, 2010 (UTC)

The evil new look

Face it. No one likes it. How about creating a poll? One option will be "I wan the old look Back!" And the other, "I want the new one.". -UG1003

Don't talk for everyone. SaradominO_o (talk) 22:06, October 23, 2010 (UTC)

The look itself really isn't that bad. It's the fact that all the useful functionality is now buried under submenus. Some of it is even removed from the menus and must be manually added to the tools menu at the bottom. I wouldn't mind the new look if it wasn't less functional. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 23:35, October 23, 2010 (UTC)

Tahngarthor, one of the important changes was to remove some of the links from immediate view, to help people find the most important links more easily. The aim is to reduce the confusion of those many links, and make it more likely that people starting out will stick around to learn more. Once someone has got over the initial stage of just finding the basics, it's easier for them to go deeper and find features like "my tools". Some links might be a click or so away instead of right on top, but the extra clicks are outweighed by the benefits making the first steps more obvious -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 23:24, October 25, 2010 (UTC)
I understand the logic but this is very annoying and inconvinent for regular users. All these changes seem to facilitate the unlogged in users (the majority of visistors, who see the ads and produce your revenue, no surprise there) Does Wikia really care so little about the people who helped get it to where it is now that every "improvement" has to be made to help JoeUser34672 and not the people who created your wikis and populated them with the information that JoeUser34672 visits your site to find? Ad revenue is necessary, I understand that. But you guys could strike a balance between what you think the random visitor wants and what you know would help us. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 15:44, November 1, 2010 (UTC)

Battle Bears Wiki

Hey i created http://battlebears.wikia.com/wiki/BattleBears_Wiki but on evrey page theres a comment thing on the bottom can you take that off!?{{SUBST:Sig/Speical ops genral minigun}} 00:10, October 24, 2010 (UTC)

I personally pefer a comment section than a discussion section it seems easier to do.But its your wiki and opion. -- (unsigned)

You can request that comments are changed over to talk pages (wikis always have one or the other)by sending a request using the contact form? Or give comments a go, you may find them easier to use :) -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 23:28, October 25, 2010 (UTC)

What do I have to do to keep Monaco forever?

With all due respect, I don't really like the new skin and would prefer not to have it implemented on my wiki against my will. So could you please tell me if and how I can keep Monaco forever? I have changed it back in my preferences, but the staff blog entry says "if you want to keep Monaco a little longer," implying that you'll reset it to the new skin at a later date no matter what I have in my preferences. I'd have taken this up in the blog comments, but it says I can't post them. Is there anyone who can help me with this? Thank you. Heatherly 02:33, October 24, 2010 (UTC)

There is nothing you can do. Monaco will be removed forever. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 03:05, October 24, 2010 (UTC)
Will Monobook be staying? Heatherly 03:24, October 24, 2010 (UTC)
Yes, Monobook will remain indefinitely as a user option. The 888th Avatar (talk) 05:28, October 24, 2010 (UTC)
But, what about set Monobook as admin option? --HayateYuki 09:27, October 25, 2010 (UTC)
Wait, Wait, WAIT!! MONOBOOK WILL STAY?!!! It is not as good as Monaco, but it is better than the new look! Thank you User:The 888th Avatar for giving me this info!--Eduardog3000 22:41, October 25, 2010 (UTC)

Heatherly, the planned cut off date for Monaco as a personal option is 5 November... we wanted to make sure everyone had a chance to try out the new look and acclimatize before the final switch. We'll keep you informed on the blog -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 23:31, October 25, 2010 (UTC)

HayateYuki: We don't offer Monobook as a default option, just as a personal one -- but you can customize the theme for the new look, using the Theme Designer -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 23:33, October 25, 2010 (UTC)

But what about monoBOOK? is that going to remain an option after November 5th?--Eduardog3000 23:35, October 25, 2010 (UTC) Yes it will, we already established that. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 02:00, October 26, 2010 (UTC)

Yes, as Tahngarthor says, Monobook will still be a personal option -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 18:27, October 27, 2010 (UTC)

Who else is leaving on November 3rd

I've seen the new look have reverted back to the old look and now know tht will no longer be an option after the 3rd. Which means that now I won't be able to operate the on these the way i've been for the past four years anymore. So most likely I'm leaving after the 3rd so who else is?

I might have to... I left PBWiki (now PBWorks) when they implemented a change like this with no option to change it back. Heatherly 04:32, October 24, 2010 (UTC)
I hope you will both stick around and give the new look a chance :) -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 23:35, October 25, 2010 (UTC)
Why must you act like this? These are honest people - They have given it a chance. I suspect that they, like me, have tried the new look again and again, to try and give it chances. They have found each time that it is hopeless. The fixed width is nonsensical, the mandatoryness (which probably isn't a word) is illogical. Helloher (Death is not my phone number) 20:38, October 26, 2010 (UTC)
Exactly we tried the new look and I can't coperate the screen keeps jumping back up to the start meaning everypage I go to in order to reach another i need to do it TWICE. Also its hard to read the page i'm on. I can't find the search bar to go towards a specific page and I can't find a history or discussion page anywhere. Also why are there still ads on here? Three years this was all ad free now they keep poping up and distracting me. Louse the ads. You want ads watch a television.?MrInhibitor 03:04, October 27, 2010 (UTC)
The jumping bug is being worked on -- it seems to be an issue with how IE interacts with our site on loading
This image might help you in finding where the things you mention have moved to... it's all still there, just moved around a bit -- I know that takes a while to get used to (I've made the same transition myself!)
Adverts are very necessary to the site. Wikia is a business as well as a community... and the adverts are the only reason we can provide wikis for free! You shouldn't be getting any popups though, if you are logged in the only ads you currently see the main page ads, and we don't show popups anywhere that I know of -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 18:40, October 27, 2010 (UTC)

fear of change

no im not afraid of change, but this is a total waist of the last 2 years of my life. i have been working on my own space on wiki to now have the menues i designed all waisted and the articles useless. way to go wiki. keep up the work and make sure that you keep up the shifts so that more people are not able to find what they need either. good going to you. so far from reading the proud postings from the staff its obvious that none have read any of these postings. good to see that wikia cares. probably going to be leaving on the 3rd too. just hope that when i delete the entire 5000+ articles that wikia will be able to explain why they are gone. tah for now

Bsdoblivion 08:48, October 24, 2010 (UTC)

p.s.

all the change you needed to send is a choice over the default layout. wow what a bloody chore to give the people a choice.

Bsdoblivion 08:48, October 24, 2010 (UTC)

Don't bother trying to delete the pages, they will simply restore them, remove your administrative rights, and block you as a vandal. They own the information you have posted, and they aren't going to let you remove it. -- Wynthyst talk 11:20, October 24, 2010 (UTC)

Hi Bsdoblivion, please read further up for more info on menus and why we've made the change. We are reading, and trying to keep up with all the replies. -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 18:42, October 27, 2010 (UTC)

Just wondering

Hi. Sorry to bother you. I have a qustion that I asked on Special:Contact, and User talk:Sarah Manley, but received no answer from either. So I thought you might be able to help me.

My friend TurtleShroom, recently recieved a global permanent ban. This was obviously not to do with "spam", as he is unable to comment here on community central. The block reason given was something to do with "another user with a similar name committing vandalism". I can assure you he did not vandalise on this wiki, as he is unable to edit here. He only edits on one other wiki (The Club Penguin Fanon Wiki, which is also my main wiki), and he certainly did not vandalise there. He is a very committed editor, and is quite upset at this misunderstanding, so I was wondering if you had any info on what is going on and whether he can be unbanned.

Thanks,

--{{SUBST:Sheepsiggy}} 19:50, October 24, 2010 (UTC)

TurtleShroom's ban reason was the default one -- he was spreading his ranting to other wikis, and I'm afraid enough was enough. It's time for him to find somewhere else to go -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 18:44, October 27, 2010 (UTC)

Well gee...

Sure do love having all my, and my wiki's staff, hard work being completely undone due to a forced new wiki look. - MFGreth1 21:50, October 24, 2010 (UTC)

The Backyardigans Encyclopedia

If I am in the New Wiki Look, it says "The Backyardigans Encyclopedia - The Best Backyardigans Wiki" at the top of my wiki. I called it "The Backyardigans Encyclopedia - The Best Backyardigans Wiki" just so I could have it called "The Backyardigans Encyclopedia". It has 300+ articles, but no one is going because of that error! Can you do anything to change it to "The Backyardigans Encyclopedia"? Sandy Cheeks 22:06, October 24, 2010 (UTC)

You can change that in the Theme Designer :) Just go to the "my tools" link on your wiki and select "Theme Designer"... the "wordmark" section lets you set what you need. (Although it sounds as though you could also do with some other setting fixing... let me know where your wiki is and I'll have a look) -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 18:52, October 27, 2010 (UTC)

Picture on Tab

How do I add the picture on the tab on the top of my screen. (Nickipedia has an "N", SpongeBob has SpongeBob's face, and Fairly Oddparents has a wand!)

You need to upload a favicon image (which has the file extension .ico) There are a few sites around that can make these images for you, then you name the file "favicon.ico" and upload it to your wiki. They can take a while to show (24 hours or so), so if you don't see it instantly, don't worry -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 18:54, October 27, 2010 (UTC)

Skin Request for Redwall FF Wiki

I'm sure this is what everyone's requesting about, and I'm sorry to bother you :) But I am Hollyfire, the founder of the Redwall Fan Fiction Wiki, and I had heard that certain Wikis have kept their old, Monaco skin. I was wondering if, and how, I could do the same. I'm sorry to bother you. And would you mind replying on my talk page? Thank you :) Have a great day :) Holly ThornbladeThe War to End All Wars- Have You Joined? 22:40, October 24, 2010 (UTC)

Hi, there aren't any sites that have kept Monaco (although some non-English wikis are still on it until there are more translations ready). There are a few that are on the older skin, Monobook, but those are special exceptions and we aren't extending that I'm afraid. Let me know if you need help with a theme for your wiki - I was playing around with a background for Redwall.wikia before, so I have a few images bookmarked -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 18:59, October 27, 2010 (UTC)

Skin Compromise

Dear Sannse,

I am User:Swiss Ninja, a very active bureaucrat from the Club Penguin Fanon Wiki. As you may or may not know, many of the users here do not like the New Skin. We would actually prefer the Monaco Skin since it's not too fancy and it gives our visitors the perspecive we want. You see, the new skin made me dizzy when I saw it because our logo was repeatedly used across my screen and it didn't look too good. Another thing was that our shout box was not there, which is our wiki's main core chatting area.

The thing is, we don't really need a "Professional" look here since the CPFW is a simple Gaming based wiki edited by Teens. However, being the person I am, I have come up with a compromise. We the Community of the Club Penguin Fanon Wiki, or other Wiki communities that oppose the new Oasis skin, can vote (using concensus) on the skin they choose they want mandatory for the visitors to view (a.k.a. our Default Skin). However, if an individual user would want to view our wiki in the Oasis, they could go view it that way so it wouldn't affect other users and visitors.

Trust me, the view of our wiki is vitally important to us. So what do you say? Please answer me as soon as possible and say if this would be a good idea or not.

yours truly,

User:Swiss Ninja

PS: Please Answer on my Talk Page. It helps.

I hate to break it to you but while they may be willing to work with you to improve how the new skin is presented on your wiki, Monaco is going to be removed forever and there is no way they will consider allowing you to keep it. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 22:32, October 25, 2010 (UTC)

Hi Swiss Ninja, we aren't going to keep running Monaco at all after the transition period, so it won't be available I'm afraid. On CPFW that logo effect is... powerful. Have you considered a skin more like the one on Pikmin Wikia? The admins on the wiki can decide on the image and change it as they like. -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 19:18, October 27, 2010 (UTC)
(Perhaps someone can copy this to Swiss Ninja's talk page? I'm trying to get down the page here :)

Wiki change?

The new wiki look makes the wiki I edit hard to navigate, messy and confussing. Is it possible to choose if your wiki has the old or new look?

MagcargoMan 04:09, October 25, 2010 (UTC)

You can't set the look on monobook globally, only personally. All anons and people that don't change their preferences will get Oasis.--TalkpageEl_Nazgir 07:05, October 25, 2010 (UTC)

ToU and the margin

removed in-margin content, 07:58, October 28, 2010 (UTC)

Hi Sannse, I've got another ToU question. Is putting text on the margin like here (zoom out if you can't see it) allowed or not? Would it depend on whether it is done from page text or css? It goes without saying that this should only be done with nonessential content, or with stuff (e.g. aimed at admins) where we know everyone concerned can see it. --◄mendel► 16:07, October 25, 2010 (UTC)

You do find the tricky ones :) The way I'm looking at that space is that it's stylable by images... so something like a border around the content area could be added as an image, so that's fine. Adding actual content is a different matter though, that's the equivalent of changing the fixed width... so I would consider that a problem. Especially as it could break if we use that area for a skin ad (they aren't common, but do happen). Of course, if you want to add anything at all for personal viewing via your own CSS (or that of all admins, if that's what they want) then that's just fine -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 20:02, October 27, 2010 (UTC)
Thank you for your answer. Technically, the fixed width is not changed (there is no scrollbar for people who can't see it), so I was in doubt. I guess I'm just creative that way. --◄mendel► 07:58, October 28, 2010 (UTC)
  • It's really pretty ridiculous that changing the fixed width is a violation of the terms of use. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 05:39, October 31, 2010 (UTC)

Being Blocked

[ToU/age discussion removed]

Hi guys, the rules about registered users under 13 aren't a Wikia thing, they are US laws intended to protect young people online. We are a US company, so we have to keep within those laws. That's why there is a question when you sign up that asks your age... if you are under 13 and have an account, then you must have put in the wrong year when you signed up! So, as this is a legal issue, I won't discuss it here any further and ask that if you have questions you use Special:Contact rather than posting here. Thanks -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 20:11, October 27, 2010 (UTC)

A question (Or several)

Ok Sannse, I'm not happy with the attitude shown by the staff, but I'll not go into that here. Instead, I have a few questions, that I'd like to be answered indivdualy and on my talk page.

1) I have no intentions of moving my wikis at this moment in time. However, should the change to the new skin prove to be a huge issue and force us to spend countless hours changing every single one of our pages, (Which it will on my primary wiki), and all of the community come to a consensus unanimously that the wiki is to be moved, is there any reason why we cannot have this wiki deleted? Or at least have a message to say we moved? I've seen your stock reply to the question, but the figures don't add up - why would there be any current users if there has been a unanimous decision to move, and why would there be any new editors or users if the wiki becomes one that is full of vandalism, and as all the contributers have moved elsewhere - out of date, unmaintained and poor quality?

Say, take the 'Forestry Wiki' (Which I made up as an example) wanted to move. It didn't like the situation of the skin change. It had very little info and some of that was wrong. All the contributers left, leaving a note on the front page explaining the move. The wikia is the number 1 result on google and bing, but the new location, in page 7 of the search engine results, has the errors corrected and much more content, as well as the editors who made the original on wikia in the first place. Where is the logic and how is it fair for the wikia staff to then choose to get rid of this notice saying that the far-superior but inaccessible site exists - denying the common internet user of the information?

2) You say that Oasis will be better for future users. Two friends of mine use my wiki intermittantly - Yesterday, one asked why it had changed - the other said 'Google probably bought it and now it is gay'. If this is what the people that spend almost no time on the wiki have to say - I don't think there'll be many new users who see it in any more positive views or spend much time on the wikis. What is your opinion?

3) I know you are doing this because you want to make more money - you want the adverts more prominent, as not enough people are clicking on them. Did it ever cross your minds that because there will be so many people leaving because of the new layout - the percentage of user traffic will be so much lower, that your more prominent adverts will now be clicked on less. You've lost almost 1/6 of your traffic from one wiki - WoWWiki decided to put messages out on all the WoW fansites that it had moved - and since almost all the visitors that the wiki had were gamers, who will have almost certainly visited at least one fansite - they'll all know and have gone. Other prominent wikis are doing similar. Does this make sense to you, that you will actually be getting less revenue?

4) I know having Monaco and Oasis as totally maintained skins is not feasible - I'm not going to complain about that. However, if I have read your FAQ correctly - you are keeping Monobook as an option for people, although it won't support a large amount of the features Oasis has to offer, while Monaco is being canned altogether. Surely, since most of the users threataning to leave are doing so because Monaco is no longer an option, why on earth can you not leave Monaco as an option that is not updated, in the same way that MonoBook is being kept? The decision to not do this makes no sense in any respect - a financial or otherwise.

Thanks for the time you spend reading this. If you could answer my questions relevantly, I would be extremely greatful. I don't want any of your generic, bog standard 'We're doing this because it will be better for the future' or any generic answer. I want my questions directly answered. I hope that you will be able to do that, to prove to me that you actually do care. Helloher (Death is not my phone number) 21:50, October 25, 2010 (UTC)

Helloher, we are trying to answer all questions, but I'm sure you can see the volume we are getting here -- on the blogs, and all over Wikia (and many of them are repeats, so of course it starts sounding as though our answers are repeats too!)
1.We want Wikia to be a success and hope that any abandoned wiki will have a second chance to live and grow. There are many wikis that have been adopted and gone on to thrive. It's also a rare situation when everyone on a wiki (including past editors) agrees to a move -- especially if you include readers. That Forestry wiki may have 10 active users, but 1000 previous editors and 5000 readers. Even if all of the 10 vote to leave there are others concerned that won't have. If the wiki stays, then maybe 10 of those 5000 readers will become the next active editors. And the 990 other editors' work will still be where they left it.
2. My opinion is that it's going to be loved as much as Monaco has become :) I was around when Monaco was released, so I've seen skin changes before (and I was around when Monobook was first released on Wikipedia for that matter). We'll certainly be watching to see how new users interact with the new skin over the next months
3. Of course, if we thought that was what was going to happen we wouldn't be doing this. We are doing this to build Wikia by bringing in new people, by helping those that visit to read become editors, and by making the long-term editing experience better for everyone. Wikia is a business, but it's also our passion. For both reasons, we want this to grow.
4. Monaco is a much more complex skin than Monobook, and not a part of the basic software set-up. Both of those mean it would take work to simply keep Monaco from breaking as we update the software and add features. It's not practical to keep it, it would take time and resources that would be better used elsewhere.

I think that's covered all your questions -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 21:08, October 27, 2010 (UTC)

Thanks, that has been a help. Helloher (Death is not my phone number) 21:13, October 27, 2010 (UTC)

Help with Wiki creation.

I was recently trying to create a " Splinter Cell Fanfiction" wiki, but it seems that I cannot get past Step 1 (What's it about?) in the creation process.

I was wondering if there was something wrong with the process, or if I am not doing this right :).

-MerchantofDeath 22:04, October 25, 2010 (UTC)

Hi, looks like you got it working... sorry I wasn't here quick enough to help! It's usually faster to ask via Special:contact than here (although in other weeks I'm generally faster than right now :) -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 21:34, October 27, 2010 (UTC)

Wheezy Waiter Wiki

Dear Sannse,

I have noticed that the Wheezy Waiter Wiki's founder and only bureaucrat (also only other member besides me) is inactive and has made less edits than me, I am requesting bureaucratship on that wiki so I can help improve it. Thank You, Signed --Eduardog3000 22:28, October 25, 2010 (UTC)

Hey, Eduardog, if ou would like to take over a wiki and fit the criteria you should put up an Adoption Request. the criteria is listed there. (By the way, I'm not sannse, I'm just happy to help).--Sw9889 (Have something to say?) 16:19, October 26, 2010 (UTC)

Italian

Hi I would ask if I can take a plant because as you handle the other would take the Italian suppose that is a bit out of control and would like to help, I'm new to the Italian but worked on Wikia Spanish and Italian and I think makes the difarencia.

Cosas en las que soy apto

Things that I am fit

I have enough time I am a graphic designer so conosco codes participated in several wikia I like Wikia I like to help control my softy emotions so even if you have enemies out of control

Lex-ph

Hi Lex-ph, I think you are asking to help on that wiki? You would be welcome to edit there and see what you can improve :) Avatar is probably the best person to talk to about that, and can consider giving your extra rights there if necessary -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 23:18, October 27, 2010 (UTC)

Block appeal

Hello Sannse. I have been trying to find out if the Wiki has an appeals process for globally blocked users and have not found any real information on that. I do know that each individual wiki has its own process but seeing a user globally blocked is a bit outside our knowledge sphere. I am aware that
"The Company may terminate your account, delete your profile and any content or information that you have posted on the Service and/or prohibit you from using or accessing the Service for any reason, or no reason, at any time in its sole discretion, with or without notice."
Which, I must say, many users find extremely disturbing to see that clause actually put into use. But I am not here to actually make any sort of appeal for a blocked user (at this time), I am simply looking for the information on how a community can make an appeal for one of its users once we fully decide to do so. Thank you for your time. --Degenret01 07:44, October 26, 2010 (UTC) of the RuneScape wiki.

What that line actually means in practice is "we sometimes have to block people without being able to explain the full details" -- we don't block without reason :) If there is a problem with a block, you can write to us via Special:Contact and we'll look at it. In the case I think you are referring to, the block wasn't intended as permanent, it was just to resolve a specific issue, and the person in question is already unblocked -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 23:22, October 27, 2010 (UTC)

Monaco vs. New Look NEEDS to be an option that the individual wikias control.

Our STAFF and Users at the Pirates Online Wikia - HATE the new look, universally. Many of our members are complaining and we have to message EACH one of them on how to go back to Monaco.

THIS SHOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED.

We as individual wikia admins should have been given a choice - OR the old look should have been the default. I keep seeing the complaints piling up and wonder how long is it going to be before folks acknowledge - THIS SHOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED.

Eliza T. Creststeel 13:57, October 26, 2010 (UTC)

We do acknowledge the complaints, as you can see from my many replies here. But that doesn't mean we can always do what asked, I'm afraid. I'm sorry you are unhappy about the changes -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 23:24, October 27, 2010 (UTC)

User Rights

I wondered could you grant rollback rights for Dyga19 on Alien Species Wiki thank you --Owen1983 16:42, October 26, 2010 (UTC)

• Pleas contact the one with bureaucrat rights on the wiki (use Special:ListUsers/bureaucrat on the wiki) or send a message with Special:Contact on your wiki. -- Xd1358(Talk) 10:12, October 27, 2010 (UTC)

Skins

How so you customize skins for wikis.HazeShot 04:19, October 27, 2010 (UTC)

We have a Theme Designer that you can use. Go to "My Tools", and you'll find it there (if you are an admin on that wiki). If anyone wants to try this, even if they are not an admin, they can use the one on Theme Designer -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 23:27, October 27, 2010 (UTC)
  • How do you upload them to the wiki.
You don't "upload them", you just click done/im finished/whatever the button says and your changes are applied. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 05:33, October 31, 2010 (UTC)

I want a straight answer.

• People want to go back to the old skin. Why can't you make it an option? Why on earth do you have to delete it to force it on us? Why can't you just give us the option?
  • Why do you keep giving responses like "it's better" and "you just have to get used to it" when we want to have things like our CSS templates and logos back?
  • Why are you treating us like scum and refusing to answer our questions when we ask?

I'm completely horrified at the way I've been responded to and treated about this issue. I know I sound rude, but I have been treated the same way. Please at least consider that the majority of us do not like the new skin and that we want straight answers on why we need to be forced to change to a new layout most of us hate and that will destroy almost all of our hard work.

And by the way, the blog explains nothing. The only thing it explains is that you love the new look so much that you're willing to get us all agitated over it. Aster Selene 05:02, October 27, 2010 (UTC)

Aster, I'm sorry you are angry, we are trying to reply to questions and not intending to ignore anyone. Please see above for answers on why we are switching and why we can't keep the old skin (there is no way to answer a question like "why are you treating us like scum" when I disagree that we are. -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 00:57, October 28, 2010 (UTC)
While I wouldn't say "treating like scum," We do really have to wonder why you're all insisting on pushing this dysfunctional skin forward, when it is inconsistent with your own goals (you say its designed to encourage editing, but it really doesn't because it's harder to use than the old skin was) and people generally don't like it. You may be assuming because people grew to like monaco after not liking it so much at first that the same will happen with Oasis, and I just don't see it. Monaco had some issues at first but it was never as bad as Oasis is in its current state. The appearance itself of the skin is not too bad, but the drastic changes in funcitonality, design and layout are no good in general. I think the skin can be improved without starting over, but not before your planned cut off date. You really need to at least allow more time for tweaking and improving the skin before forcing it on people. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 05:29, October 31, 2010 (UTC)

Little mistake

At the place from Around Wikia's newtwork down pages ot talkpages, there's a mistake at Desperate Housewives Wikia. It says: Vist the Desperate Housewives or something. It should be visit. Just found this mistake a minute ago ;) Greetings, --Station7 21:05, October 27, 2010 (UTC)

Hi, if you see that again, can you grab a screenshot please? It's not something I've noticed and I'm not sure where you mean. Many thanks :) -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 01:08, October 28, 2010 (UTC)

Which button should I push in to get a screenshot?--Station7 21:08, October 28, 2010 (UTC)

File:DesperateHousewivesMistake.jpg

The mistake is here ;) --Station7 20:15, October 29, 2010 (UTC)

I thought it was Wisteria Lane, not Wiksteria Lane... ☆The Solar Dragon☆ 20:18, October 29, 2010 (UTC)
Wiksteria Lane is the name of the wiki, it's a mix of Wikia and Wisteria. -- Julietfan2626
Thanks for that! I've passed it on -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 23:44, October 29, 2010 (UTC)

Muppet video

Great Muppet video. I really liked it ;)--Station7 21:17, October 27, 2010 (UTC)

Hehe, that it was -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 01:09, October 28, 2010 (UTC)

Search

It says "The Backyardigans Encyclopedia - The Best Backyardigans Wiki:talk" and just "The Backyardigans Encyclopedia - The Best Backyardigans Wiki" when I search something. And, at the bottom (in Monaco) it says "Improve The Backyardigans Encyclopedia - The Best Backyardigans Wiki by editing this page" Is there any way to change that to "The Backyardigans Encyclopedia"?

P. S.: To go to the wiki, click on this link: http://thebackyardigansencyclopedia.wikia.com (look in the monaco style to see the better look.)

P. S. S.: Thank you for helping with my other needs! Sandy Cheeks 21:29, October 27, 2010 (UTC)

Hi, I found it, that's fixed :) -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 01:11, October 28, 2010 (UTC)

I’m accepting the new skin, but I think we need our problems addressed.

I understand why Monaco has to go. I understand that you want to use the new skin. I’ve accepted all that.

But can you please at least listen to our requests rather than slapping on the new template and forcing all of us to go with it? Reaction to the new skin would be much better if the two most important problems were addressed: implementation of CSS templates and the sidebar that takes up half of the screen. Otherwise, most of us think it would be more worth it to just ditch the new skin entirely and continue with Monaco instead.

Yes, it’s possible for us to come to like the new skin, but I think we should at least have our concerns addressed. So I don’t think we can simply “adjust” to it unless something gets done. Aster Selene 23:24, October 27, 2010 (UTC)

Hi, I can't help with the sidebar I'm afraid, but we will most certainly be watching to see how well the new skin works in practice -- including seeing how the sidebar and units in it are used. We have all sorts of click tracking in place, as well as having a record of all the direct feedback we've had.
CSS and JS should all be working correctly now. You may need to move some CSS from Mediawiki:Common.css to Mediawiki:Wikia.css - but that's the only change. Global CSS/JS and your personal pages on each wiki should also all be working. Please let me know if you have any problems with them! -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 01:23, October 28, 2010 (UTC)
User:M.mendel/global.css is not active on the new skin, so "should but doesn't" re: global css it is right now (unless the page name for it changed?). --◄mendel► 08:00, October 28, 2010 (UTC)
Oops, my mistake... global CSS isn't back yet. I've just prodded the tech who owns the ticket -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 04:36, October 29, 2010 (UTC)

Hi. I finally created a Wikia account...

...just to complain about how absolutely terrible the new layout is. It's such a huge step backwards that I can't even laugh at it. If you have any shred of dignity, admit defeat and get the hell rid of this crap.

Address

When you search up "nick.wikia.com" it goes to "nickelodeon.wikia.com". When you search up "sponge.wikia.com" it goes to "spongebob.wikia.com". How can I make an address link to my wiki?Squidward Tentacles 11:16, October 28, 2010 (UTC)

This is something that has to be done by staff. You can request it using Special:Contact, although it's not something we do very often -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 04:39, October 29, 2010 (UTC)

Gruntipedia's layout

Hello there. I'm ADMYAMAMOTO, head admin of Gruntipedia (http://unhalo.wikia.com). I was just wondering if the new wiki layouts have been applied to Gruntipedia. Could our previous layout be reapplied? Many features on the site have disappeared due to the layout change and it is now harder to find certain articles. For example, you can no longer access the history of articles and I'm unable to recieve personal complaints from members. It took me a whole hour to find out who sent a message to me when he didn't put a signature. Could you please help?--THOU IN HATE SHALL KEEP US BADASS, WHILST WE FIND THE OREO SNACK 11:22, October 28, 2010 (UTC)

You can access page histories by clicking on the My Tools button in the bottom right corner of any wikia page. -- Wynthyst talk 17:44, October 28, 2010 (UTC)

You might find w:c:community:Transition_guide the transition map useful ADMYAMAMOTO. It takes a bit of getting used to for those of us that know Monaco well, but I did after a while using it :) -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 04:44, October 29, 2010 (UTC)

Ikkjepedia

Hi!

Can you please revert Ikkjepedia's skin back to the old? You know, I don't find out of that skin and don't like it.

I think we shall have the old on Ikkjepedia again.

• As of November 3rd the old look won't be available anymore. But if you get used to it the new look is not that bad. (I'm not Sannse by the way).--Sw9889 (Who am I?)(Have something to say?) 02:25, October 29, 2010 (UTC)

Re:Wiki Categories

Hey Sannnse, I left a message a little while ago and you got back to it, but you did'nt understand what i meant so i responded, but you havent gottn back to that. can you please re-review it (as of now, it is number 47 on the contents list)(it is called Wiki Category or something like that)? Thanks.--Sw9889 (Who am I?)(Have something to say?) 02:25, October 29, 2010 (UTC)

Oops, sorry, it merged in to the one below and I missed it :)
The wikis on those are chosen by the Entertainment Team at Wikia not usually by request. But you can ask to be added to the spotlights that show around the site. And I'll mention your wiki to the team, I'm sure they will love to see what you are doing with it! -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 04:57, October 29, 2010 (UTC)

Database Dump requested

Hey Sannse,

I've requested a dump of my wiki some weeks ago, but nothing happened, I didn't get any new dump (only two from januar 2010 are there on page Special:Statistics). Then I've requested it again about already one week ago... But no dump here... What should I do? I'd like to save my wiki's database, to easily be able to move on... when it comes to it. And 3rd November is really close now. Please help, because it's your (the whole Staff's) fault as well...

Thanks forward!

Alquen 10:39, October 29, 2010 (UTC)

Magyar Narnia Wiki

Try using MediaWikiDumper tool instead. ~ Edward Chernenko <edwardspec@gmail.com>MediaWikiDumper 18:50, October 29, 2010 (UTC)

Hi Alquen, sorry to hear you are still considering moving. The dumps are quite behind at the moment (we've obviously been very busy with the new look!) but I believe they are catching up now. Yours is near the top of the queue, so I think it will be in the next batch -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 20:37, November 1, 2010 (UTC)

Viruses?

Latley I have been baned from wikia, because my mom belives that wikia can infect our computer with viruses. Is this ture? Please tell me no so that I can contributing to wikia. PhilliesGo Phillies!!!

Nope, Wikia is safe. SeanWheeler 23:11, October 29, 2010 (UTC)

I'll add to that a bit :) no site online is completely safe. Even if you fully trust the site providers, and those that might send adverts to them, then there is still a chance of problems. There are two things you should always keep in mind: firstly, it's important to make sure you have up-to-date anti-malware software, that's your first line of defense; and secondly, take care with what sites you visit and what links you click. You don't want to be so paranoid you don't have fun online -- but if you go to a message board lot of trolling, or a site for illegal downloads, you are more likely to have malware problems than a more reputable site. There's more on this subject on my blog post :) -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 20:45, November 1, 2010 (UTC)

A Question.

Please tell me! Are you going to or have an option to extend the lenghts on the new look? Everything is squeezed in and jam packed which makes most articles highly unlikable. If you do this I'm sure alot of people will be a bit happier. I would, because thats my only problem with the new look, everything else is exceptional. Fahuem 12:04, October 30, 2010 (UTC)

Hi Fahuem, at the moment we don't have plans to change the fixed width. But we are looking at how it works on the wikis, and how well the skin as a whole helps with encouraging people to use Wikia. So any aspect could change over time, if that looks to be the best thing for the wikis as a whole. One thing that's a consideration is how people read - there's a good reason that newspapers and paper encyclopedias often use columns, it helps readability. I know that I've got used to the shorter lines very quickly, and find them more comfortable to read than I did when I first switched skins -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 21:00, November 2, 2010 (UTC)
Instead of making a new skin, couldn't you have just resized your browser window? ;-P --◄mendel► 22:55, November 2, 2010 (UTC)

Opera problems.

On w:c:UnAnswers, whenever I've tried to open recent changes in Opera (yes, latest version), the page simply didn't want to load. I've tried on 2 different PCs, and the same problem occurred on both. The same problem came up when I tried to edit anything (like my talk page, which strangely enough; did load). On Chrome and IE the site functioned fine, but not on Opera.--TalkpageEl_Nazgir 13:09, October 30, 2010 (UTC)

Hi, the techs are looking at this. I don't know what the issue is yet, but they know something is wrong for Opera and are looking at solutions. Thanks for the report -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 06:08, November 3, 2010 (UTC)

Something to let you know

Hi again Sannse. I'm not going to complain. I just thought you ought to know this. Yesterday my siser logged onto Harry Potter Wiki. She instantly complained about the new look, saying it was horrible. Bear in mind she's very good with computers, but she struggled to find her way around a wiki that she found very easy to navigate before - And doesn't intend to use it again. I'm not going to lauch a complain rant, but please note you aren't only alienating the experienced editors, also the current readers with the switch. But that's not my point.

Now, I'd just like to make a few suggestions that will greatly improve Oasis. I've accepted the skin and your reasons for needing it, but the skin cannot, in my humble opinion, be rolled out without the following major issues being addressed. If they are, I will have no qualms whatsoever working with it.

1) The fixed width is nonsensical and damaging. Someone in you blog made a great suggestion, that was swamped by the crybabies and unfortnately obscured. They suggested logic code be implemented to make he width proportional to the individual user's resolution. This will take a bit of time to implement, I recognise, but will help both the people you were helping with the fixed width but also everybody else whose experiences are being lessened by having up to half of the content space filled with nothing.

2) The lack of submenus in the 'topbar' is nonsensical. Take a look at my primary wiki, Robot Wars Wiki, in Monaco. See our sidebar with all the menus and submenus. If you could tell me how we could make that in 5 menus with no submenus effectively and easy to navigate in Oasis, I'll make thr changes right now. You probably won't be able to - and we won't either - destroying our navigation system. I know submenus on wikia in general aren't clicked too much, but there is no logic except wrong logic that states you should therefore be removing them from wikis that need them.

Finally, could you explain the logic of attributing the image uploader (Often not the creator of the image) in the article, which add nothing and distracts readers from the actual content?

As before, please answer to the point, which you did well last time.

Thanks, Helloher (Death is not my phone number) 14:28, October 30, 2010 (UTC)

Hi Helloher. Part of the reason for the fixed width is to make the content area consistent. So if you arrange your article carefully for your resolution, you know that anyone else viewing the site sees the same thing. We've had variable width in the past, but this change will give a more modern, professional, and practical look for everyone.
The submenus are not just clicked less if there are a lot of them, but they make it harder for people to find the important stuff. So people are more likely to just move to another site instead of exploring yours. If you look at both extremes, you could have every page in your navigation (obviously no one would find anything) or have nothing in there (same result). 4x7 is a lot less than we allowed before -- because there wasn't a limit before. But if you create a focused menu with most popular items, you may find that people get interested faster and stay around :)
The idea of the image uploader being displayed is to help show people reading the site what a wiki is and that it's created by real people like them. It seemed to work well in our testing, now we need to see how well it works in practice. For example, do people click on the name to view the user page? And if they do, does that make them more likely to join the community themselves? It will certainly be interesting to find out -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 06:17, November 3, 2010 (UTC)

Keep Monaco

Please can you keep monaco? I'm fine with the new skin but i find monaco easy to use Holomanga 18:17, October 30, 2010 (UTC)

Excuse me, but you should keep Monaco. Only a handful of people like the new skin. We're not saying that you should remove the skin, we're just saying that we want to keep monaco. I don't think the skin is the best idea right now. TO tell the truth, I don't really understand. Many people all across wikia hate the layout, so why use it? There are petitions, arguements, and A LOT of blogs and forums about this. I'm just gonna say it here, LISTEN TO US. ~XionXIV
Reading is always good guys. To quote Sannse: '. Monaco is a much more complex skin than Monobook, and not a part of the basic software set-up. Both of those mean it would take work to simply keep Monaco from breaking as we update the software and add features. It's not practical to keep it, it would take time and resources that would be better used elsewhere. ' Helloher (Death is not my phone number) 21:50, October 30, 2010 (UTC)

Hey there

This is Station7 and I can't edit. Everytime I log in myself, I got my back to this. Could you help me? Greetings, Station7--84.87.176.74 20:39, October 30, 2010 (UTC)

It works now. But which button should I type in to get a small screen. I get everything big!--Station7 20:51, October 30, 2010 (UTC)

Sorry Station7, I don't understand the problem you are having... is it OK now? -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 06:19, November 3, 2010 (UTC)

New Look Help!

I went to the theme designer of my wiki (pacfanon.wikia.com) and changed it up to make it look all nice, but the main page is still in Carbon, the random theme I picked when creating the wiki! How do I change the main page's colors, background, etc. and save it to work?

Never mind, I don't have the problem anymore.

This was due to the server problem at the weekend, some images and themes weren't updating fast enough. Sorry for the problem! -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 06:20, November 3, 2010 (UTC)

apparent loss of article after change to "new look"

Upon visiting my main article page it appeared that while the title was still there along with links to the article editor and to my user page the content had been replaced. When the article was created I had included a peer review template. Removing the template restored the content such that now I can appreciate the improvements in the change to the "new look" but I am concerned that other users who included a peer review template in their articles may have lost or at least had their article content pushed to the back as was mine. If you have the capability to find and to view articles with peer review templates please screen them as well. Otherwise the change to the "new look" makes the Academia Wikia look far more professional than before.

Thanks, --imho 01:06, October 31, 2010 (UTC)

Wow, that was ... quite a problem. It wasn't to do with the new look, it was someone editing the Peer Review template to add the whole of their paper on the template page. Which means their misplaced content would show on any page using that template. I'm not quite sure how they managed that, or why it went unnoticed for so long... but it's fixed now. -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 06:30, November 3, 2010 (UTC)

Hello.

hello, I am Tatooine an administrator on iPods Wiki; and I was wondering am I permitted to create a Template here on community Wikia for my own personal use??

Tatooine Talk 02:26, October 31, 2010 (UTC)
Hi, that depends on the template :) If it's relevant to this wiki, or one you want to use with the cross-wiki template system, then that's fine. Just be sure to explain what you are doing in your edit summary or as a talk page message, so the admins here know what's going on -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 06:31, November 3, 2010 (UTC)

Demotion Request

Hello, Sannse. I run Fantendo, and recently a bureaucrat there has been abusing his power. I would like to demote him for a little while as an incentive for him not to do this kind of thing again (he has abused his powers before, and always gotten off free). Thing is, I can't demote. Could you please demote him? His username is JesseRoo. -Cobweb Thank you!

Removing bureaucrat powers only stops someone from making other people admins, so doesn't change what he can do with admins rights. Perhaps you could send more details of the situation to us via Special:Contact? Then we can look more closely. Please link to (or explain) any discussion with the other admins of the wiki. Thanks -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 06:40, November 3, 2010 (UTC)

Wiki Problem

Hello Sannse, Can you please tell me why, at the bottom of an article at Dragon Ball Forever Wiki , users are allowed to put comments down? {{SUBST:User:Goku return's/sig2}} 18:49, October 31, 2010 (UTC)

That's how it works on most new wikis. Older wikis have talk pages, but the newer system is comments. We can switch on request but if we switch then any existing comments will be lost. -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 06:42, November 3, 2010 (UTC)

Reply for a forum thread

Could you please reply to a forum thread, in regards to phase II of the new skin roll-out? Thanks. --D. (talk · contr) 20:28, October 31, 2010 (UTC)

Hi, I see someone added the info :) -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 06:43, November 3, 2010 (UTC)

Child's Play Wikia:)

Hey im the admin for the Child's Play Wikia and i was wondering how do you add background to the new wikis.

I do prefer the old version as the original great background i had to complement it is gone but could you please supply a background for it now.

Sincerely

Charles Le Ray 02:17, November 1, 2010 (UTC)Charles Le RayCharles Le Ray 02:17, November 1, 2010 (UTC)

That background was a big file! I compressed it, but it should be possible to get a much cleaner effect with a smaller file to start with. You may also want to play around with the other colours via [the Theme Designer]. It's much better to set the colours via that -- you can select the main colours and the rest is done for you. Let me know if you need more help -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 06:53, November 3, 2010 (UTC)

Becoming an administrator on Degrassi wiki?

Hello Sannse. I participate a lot on the Degrassi wiki and we currently have no active administrators as far as I know. The only active one we had has now officially left. Over on the Degrassi, we tend get many trolls and spammers, and now that there's no administrator there's no one who can block the offensive parties. In addition, there seems to be no active bureaucrats for our site either. I was wondering if you could kindly make me an administrator or bureaucrat, or at least point me in the right direction for becoming one? I know I don't have very many points, but honestly there's not that much to edit. However, I'm always on the Degrassi wiki during my spare time, so I would know when someone is trolling or spamming, which we actually have problems with now. I would be very, very grateful if you could give me admin powers because we on the Degrassi wiki are in great need of one right now. Squall L. 16:41, November 1, 2010 (UTC)Squall L.

Hi, you are looking for our adoptions page :) That's the best place to ask for admin rights -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 06:55, November 3, 2010 (UTC)

Upload a new version of this file

I don't know if it's wikia-wide, but on both Digimon and Kingdom Hearts wiki's, this feature does not work. The "current version" will not change, although it will take on the dimensions of the new version, and the new version is still stored by date uploaded.(ಠ_ೃ) Bully! 16:50, November 1, 2010 (UTC)

Sorry to butt in here :p Try bypassing your browser cache (Ctrl-F5 on Firefox) and see if the image updates. Because you said the dimensions of the image changed, it suggests to me it's just a caching issue. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 17:21, November 1, 2010 (UTC)
We have. It does this for every user, for every image, on both wikis. It is the same bug we were having a while back.(ಠ_ೃ) Bully! 18:28, November 1, 2010 (UTC)
Hi, it looks like this was part of the server issue from the weekend - we had some problems with caching from that, which meant some images weren't updating quickly. I"ve tested on Kingdom Hearts, and it looks like it's all working smoothly again now... but please let me know if it's not working for you. Sorry for the problem -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 07:03, November 3, 2010 (UTC)

new look

Now that I have had a chance to get over the initial and apparent absence of content for the articles I had included a peer review template I like the new look far better than the old although I still need to view it when I'm logged off to see if the advertising is still invasive. If not then it has a chance of becoming respected. Revenue sharing in any case would be nice. --imho 19:31, November 1, 2010 (UTC)

Thanks for the feedback! You can switch adverts on for yourself via your preferences, if you want to see the same view as anons. The idea is to give logged in users a bit of an extra, by removing most ads for them, but I know some admins like to be able to see the same ads that their visitors do (I have the ads on for the same reason).
We aren't planning any revenue sharing programs at the moment, the ads just pay for the free service... but who knows for the future :) -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 07:07, November 3, 2010 (UTC)

What...? Please tell me it's not global.

What the hell? Are you people insane? You're banning Turtleshroom, I assume globally, for DISAGREEING WITH YOU? Please tell me it's not a global ban. You gave no good reason except that he fought against the new skin; he opposed the new skin, there's nothing wrong with that! I can't believe this; it's pathetic! I've just about had it with Wikia and your suppression of free speech.
Am I gonna get banned for speaking my mind? At this point, seeing as it's already happened once, I would not be surprised! Cobweb (Talk)

Turtleshroom was banned for disruption. I have not, and will not, ban anyone for disagreeing with me. -- Sannse@Wikia (help forum | blog) 07:09, November 3, 2010 (UTC)

You Crossed The Line

Congratulations, you've officially crossed the line of jackassery. You banned TurtleShroom for speaking his opinion?! That is seriously f*cked up. Not only is it f*cked up, but it is also illegal. I don't really know about the internet, but I could have Wikia shut down for this. How dare you ban someone for that. And since you've crossed the aforementioned line, I (dare I say) demand that you at least unban TurtleShroom. This is ridiculous. And furthermore, my point still stands about the skin. LISTEN TO ME, OK? ACTUALLY READ THIS. PLEASE DO NOT FORCE THE NEW SKIN ON US. IT IS UNFAIR AND, FRANKLY, TREASONIST.

-YE

Hello

Hey this is Thomas 22:16, November 2, 2010 (UTC). Thanks for that message I found like 10 admins on that nice Staff Search. I was wondering how to be an admin. Even though I'm new I've been on many wikis like Adventure Time Wiki. I'm good at tiny writting mistakes stuff like that so I'd be a preety good Admin.

Thanks,

Thomas 22:16, November 2, 2010 (UTC)

I tried being nice, I even liked Oasis for a while, but now.....

Wikia, Wikia, Wikia!! You're all about the community! We drive this program and give you your precious funds! And you return to us a crapheap of a skin, one that won't run on anything that couldn't run Monaco! You freakin' banned a person who spoke out against you! We've all done it, Turtleshroom just did it with more pronouncement and force, and he was banned. You don't care. You eliminate your opposition in your bitchy, "whatever" attitude! You know, you could've listened to us in beginning, when Oasis wasn't set down permanently. Now you've screwed yourself, and you banned a person a day before Oasis' official release! What's the point if he spoke out! You wouldn't changed anything, so why was he punished? I'm from your flagship fanon wiki, Fantendo, and let me tell you, Fantendo is going down. All because of your new skin. You're messing up EVERYTHING!

Thanks for all the sh*t,

-DK64

Around Wikia's network

Random Wiki