Community Central
Register
Community Central
This Forum has been archived
Forums: Admin Central Index General Questions Anon user evading block. Range blocks not working.
Central's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Note: This topic has been unedited for 4016 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

Hi, I have an anonymous user on the Underworld wiki who has been banned for a 6 month period. He repeatedly broke the rules, refusing to listen to over a dozen requests that he follow the wiki's Manual of Style and stop screwing up pages with misuse of quotes, ridiculous run-on sentences and hordes of non-notable crap. When I would try to fix his mistakes, he would often go back and simply revert everything I did. It's incredibly frustrating, because I have to follow him around and fix all the stuff he messes up, and half the time, he'll just revert my attempts to fix his poor writing and formatting. I originally banned him for 3 days, then 1 week, then 3 months, and now 6 months. No matter what I do, he will not listen, and I'm left to clean up after him. Now that he's on a 6 month ban, he keeps changing his IP address and evading the ban. 4 different range blocks have been put in by the other local admin, but those haven't worked either. I revert everything he does, but he still won't go away. Even using his multiple addresses, he's still not following the rules he was banned for breaking, and it's clear he has no intention of ever following them. I'm considering closing the entire wiki to anon editing, since anons almost always make very poor edits anyway (such as the recent one who started a page that only said "I think his actor is Scottish nope he's Welsh"), and all of the regular contributors there have sign ins. Any ideas on how to get rid of this pest would be much appreciated.

AlessaGillespie Talk Contributions 01:15, February 13, 2013 (UTC)

If there is a pattern in their edits, you may try using an abuse filter.~ UltimateSupreme 02:54, February 13, 2013 (UTC)
Some of his edits tend to involve the words, "According to", but that's about it, unless there's some way to recognize quotes being shoved into an article all over the place. I'm not sure how to use the abuse filter, tbh. AlessaGillespie Talk Contributions 22:35, February 15, 2013 (UTC)