Community Central
Community Central
This Forum has been archived
Forums: Admin Central Index General Questions Automatic messages and Signature help
Central's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Note: This topic has been unedited for 4051 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

I'm currently an admin at Hunterpedia. I just want to ask how automated messages work, the ones that are automatically sent to users after editing the first time on your wiki. I've seen lots of wiki's having a more elaborate messages, such as introducing the wki's policies.

I also want to ask you about the signatures. A customized signature doesn't work on the wiki. I already tried saving it in the Templates or User. The signature appears once you viewed it but it doesn't work when you try to use it. I already tried puting a code in the Preferences page. But it doesn't really work.

Please help. Thanks - Darkchylde 06:25, April 18, 2012 (UTC)

Try Help:welcome tool for a start (and several old posts here in the forums) Wikia's search will turn some of the many past forum posts about the welcome tool and custom sigs up. But sombody witha better memory may be along ina bit and give you link to one or a direct answer. - IHBTD6-Drott 13:30, April 18, 2012 (UTC)
I'm splitting up the answers to the two questions in different sections below, since it will be confusing otherwise. -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 18 Apr 2012 1:21 PM Pacific

Welcome messages

The welcome messages area at "MediaWiki:welcome-message ......" were ..... is various options for IP or logged in users. If you have seen one on a wiki you like ask the local admins about it - as if you just copy it, it may not work in your wiki without other templates & changes to the links - IHBTD6-Drott 13:30, April 18, 2012 (UTC)
Here is a simpler re-capitulation of what you'd see at Help:Welcome tool (but not Message Wall info)...
Various MediaWiki: pages related to the Welcome message bot:
MediaWiki:welcome-enabled
If a valid option is in this page, it will enable the welcome bot in the mode(s) specified.
Options (separated by spaces if more than one):
  • Auto-create a user page: page-user
  • Welcome anonymous users: message-anon
  • Welcome registered users: message-user
MediaWiki:welcome-user
If a valid option is in this page, it will use that option to sign welcome messages.
Options (only one at a time):
  • Don't welcome (turn off bot?): @disabled
  • Sign as most recent admin to edit or staff: @latest
  • Sign as most recent admin to edit: @sysop
  • Sign as user: username
MediaWiki:welcome-bot-flag
Usually contains: @bot
To show welcome edits in Recent Changes: -
Contents of messages
Welcome message for registered users: MediaWiki:Welcome-message-user
For registered users if no admin edited in 60-days: MediaWiki:Welcome-message-user-staff
Welcome message for anonymous users: MediaWiki:Welcome-message-anon
Auto-added user page: MediaWiki:Welcome-user-page
Variables used:
  • $1 is the page the new editor edited or created
  • $2 is a link to the talk page of the person leaving the welcome
  • $3 is the signature
  • $4 is the name of the person being welcomed
-- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 18 Apr 2012 1:21 PM Pacific

Signatures

What code did you use in your templates? Please provide a link. What code did you use in preferences? This is how most users do it. -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 18 Apr 2012 1:21 PM Pacific
The signature is stored here. And I have no idea what to put in the preferences. Please help. —This unsigned comment is by - Darkchylde (talkcontribs) 03:40, April 24, 2012. Please sign your posts with ~~~~!
What code did you put in Special:Preferences? That's probably the problem. -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 26 Apr 2012 3:48 PM Pacific