Community Central
Community Central
No edit summary
(archive)

(8 intermediate revisions by 4 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
  +
{{ForumArchiveBox}}
  +

{{Admin-Forumheader|Technical Help}}

{{Admin-Forumheader|Technical Help}}

Line 4: Line 6:

If you require staff help, please use Special:Contact or community@wikia.com to be sure of a staff reply. -->

If you require staff help, please use Special:Contact or community@wikia.com to be sure of a staff reply. -->

Hello, my name is [http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/User:GarouxBloodline Leon] and I am an Administrator at [http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Wiki Nukapedia.] One of my pet projects is a blog named the [http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:GarouxBloodline/The_Strategic_Nuclear_Moose_-_4/1/12 Strategic Nuclear Moose.] I've recently made a lot of changes to SNM, with one of said changes being the addition of a new backdrop. Everything works perfectly fine, except the backdrop has the side-effect of overlapping the comment section of the blog, and I can't seem to figure out how to change the priorities. Any help towards this issue would be greatly appreciated, as I am now officially stumped. [[file:Dragon.jpg|link=User:GarouxBloodline]][[User talk:GarouxBloodline|<font color= "Grey"> <sup>''Skål!''</sup> </font>]] 04:17, April 2, 2012 (UTC)
+
Hello, my name is [http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/User:GarouxBloodline Leon] and I am an Administrator at [http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Wiki Nukapedia.] One of my pet projects is a blog named the [http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:GarouxBloodline/The_Strategic_Nuclear_Moose_-_4/1/12 Strategic Nuclear Moose.] I've recently made a lot of changes to SNM, with one of said changes being the addition of a new backdrop. Everything works perfectly fine, except the backdrop has the side-effect of overlapping the comment section of the blog, and I can't seem to figure out how to change the z-indexing priorities. Any help towards this issue would be greatly appreciated, as I am now officially stumped. [[file:Dragon.jpg|link=User:GarouxBloodline]][[User talk:GarouxBloodline|<font color= "Grey"> <sup>''Skål!''</sup> </font>]] 04:17, April 2, 2012 (UTC)

:I suggest not using the "backdrop" method at all. Doing that kind of thing is bad webdesign, not to mention it covers up the advertisements on the page, so it's against the Wikia Terms of Use.

:I suggest not using the "backdrop" method at all. Doing that kind of thing is bad webdesign, not to mention it covers up the advertisements on the page, so it's against the Wikia Terms of Use.
:Instead of doing that, you should make some custom CSS to change the styling for for all of your "Strategic Nuclear Moose" blog articles. Something like this:
+
:Instead of doing that, you should make some custom CSS to change the styling for for all of your "Strategic Nuclear Moose" blog articles. Something like this:
  +

<div style="margin-left:30px"><source lang="css">

<div style="margin-left:30px"><source lang="css">

body, .WikiaPage .WikiaPageContentWrapper{

Line 24: Line 27:

.va-navbox-border { box-shadow: 2px 2px 2px #211813;}

</source></div>

</source></div>
  +
:--'''[[User:Gardimuer|Gardimuer]]'''&nbsp;<sup>[[User talk:Gardimuer|{&nbsp;ʈalk&nbsp;}]]</sup> 13:30, April 2, 2012 (UTC)

+
  +
:Another suggestion: It would be better to use an image with a smaller file size for your "backdrop." The current one takes a long time to load for first-time visitors who have slow internet connections. You could use an image editing software to compress the image to be less that 100KB, and then it would load faster. --'''[[User:Gardimuer|Gardimuer]]'''&nbsp;<sup>[[User talk:Gardimuer|{&nbsp;ʈalk&nbsp;}]]</sup> 13:36, April 2, 2012 (UTC)
  +
::Oops, sorry about that, I'm not entirely sure why your comment was removed in the first place when I was only adding in the z-indexing note that I had forgotten to type in with my original message. I appreciate your input though, and I'll be fiddling around with it some more to see what I can come up with. To be honest, I was kind of glad that the backdrop had the convenient consequence of hiding the content bar to the right. I didn't take into consideration that it might also be hiding advertisements for anonymous users though. I'll have to look further into that to make sure if I am or not, although I don't believe I am. [[file:Dragon.jpg|link=User:GarouxBloodline]][[User talk:GarouxBloodline|<font color= "Grey"> <sup>''Skål!''</sup> </font>]] 18:55, April 2, 2012 (UTC)

Latest revision as of 09:24, 7 March 2013

This Forum has been archived
Forums: Admin Central Index Technical Help Backdrop issues.
Central's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Note: This topic has been unedited for 4058 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

Hello, my name is Leon and I am an Administrator at Nukapedia. One of my pet projects is a blog named the Strategic Nuclear Moose. I've recently made a lot of changes to SNM, with one of said changes being the addition of a new backdrop. Everything works perfectly fine, except the backdrop has the side-effect of overlapping the comment section of the blog, and I can't seem to figure out how to change the z-indexing priorities. Any help towards this issue would be greatly appreciated, as I am now officially stumped. Dragon Skål! 04:17, April 2, 2012 (UTC)

I suggest not using the "backdrop" method at all. Doing that kind of thing is bad webdesign, not to mention it covers up the advertisements on the page, so it's against the Wikia Terms of Use.
Instead of doing that, you should make some custom CSS to change the styling for for all of your "Strategic Nuclear Moose" blog articles. Something like this:
    background: url("http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120330190046/fallout/images/4/4c/Fallout_by_Rahll.jpg") repeat-x fixed 0 0 transparent;
}
.WikiaPage {border: 0 none;}
.WikiHeader { background: none repeat scroll 0 0 #FFFFFF;}
.WikiaUserPagesHeader h1, .WikiaUserPagesHeader span, .WikiaArticleComments, .WikiaRail .module, .WikiaRail #RIGHT_SKYSCRAPER, .WikiaArticleCategories {
    color: #FFFFFF;
}
.WikiaRail .module, .WikiaRail #RIGHT_SKYSCRAPER, .WikiaArticleCategories {
    background: none repeat scroll 0 0 #211813;
    border: 1px solid #130E0B;
    box-shadow: 0 2px 5px 0 #070605;
}

Another suggestion: It would be better to use an image with a smaller file size for your "backdrop." The current one takes a long time to load for first-time visitors who have slow internet connections. You could use an image editing software to compress the image to be less that 100KB, and then it would load faster. --Gardimuer { ʈalk } 13:36, April 2, 2012 (UTC)
Oops, sorry about that, I'm not entirely sure why your comment was removed in the first place when I was only adding in the z-indexing note that I had forgotten to type in with my original message. I appreciate your input though, and I'll be fiddling around with it some more to see what I can come up with. To be honest, I was kind of glad that the backdrop had the convenient consequence of hiding the content bar to the right. I didn't take into consideration that it might also be hiding advertisements for anonymous users though. I'll have to look further into that to make sure if I am or not, although I don't believe I am. Dragon Skål! 18:55, April 2, 2012 (UTC)