Community Central
Register
Community Central
This Forum has been archived
Forums: Admin Central Index General Questions Can I Make Bots?
Central's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Note: This topic has been unedited for 4030 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

Is there a way for me to create a bot, that will check all pending edits on my wiki for swear words? For instance if someone puts inappropriate language in an edit, the bot will stop the edit from being published? I really want to know, because it will save me a lot of time and worry. -- User:Feey1 I am FEEY1. Speak to me! 20:19, July 31, 2012 (UTC)

You can check out Wikipedia's page on creating a bot. It's quite straightforward. :) — subtank (7alk) 20:32, July 31, 2012 (UTC)
"if someone puts inappropriate language in an edit, the bot will stop the edit from being published" -- there's a MediaWiki extension specifically for this, it's called mw:Extension:AbuseFilter. However, you'd need to ask Staff to enable it by sending a request to Special:Contact -- and they likely won't enable it as a precaution, your wiki would need to have a history of vandalism/spam for them to think it's necessary to enable it. (I use this extension on my home wiki, and it's excellent at filtering bad edits.)
For other commonly used bots here on Wikia, I suggest checking out User_blog:Randomtime/An_introduction_to_Pywikipediabot and User_blog:Randomtime/An_Introduction_to_AutoWikiBrowser. If you want to actually go to all the work to write the code for your own bot, the aforementioned wikipedia page is likely what you want.
20px_Rin_Tohsaka_Avatar.png Mathmagician ƒ(♫) 20:43 UTC, Tue, 31 July 2012