Community Central
Register
Community Central
This Forum has been archived
Forums: Admin Central Index General Questions Discouraging editing for some users?
Central's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Note: This topic has been unedited for 4030 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

Does anybody have any ideas for how to discourage some users from editing? I know Wikia is free-to-edit, but over at Beyblade Wiki we get a lot of newer users who cannot use grammar correctly and usually make some really pointless edits, like adding Trivia which is exceedingly obvious. It's not that we don't enjoy new users, we just cannot catch up with it all. Since the Wiki is aimed at a Children's TV Show and Toyline, this would be inevitable, and there's no doubt that we probably have some underage users around too. Any ideas would be welcomed; we just want to bring the Wiki up to the standard of the many great ones that we've seen around. Thanks. --Manaphy12342 01:09, July 22, 2012 (UTC)

Never thought I could do this on Wikia, but PING --Manaphy12342 02:34, July 24, 2012 (UTC)

To be honest, it's difficult to effectively discourage some without discouraging all. The only thing that can really be done is to be zealous in maintaining article quality to stop potential editors from not giving it a shot because it seems too much work to fix. Really, it's a problem only time will fix – and that's if you're lucky. That's all I can really offer, sorry. The 888th Avatar (talk) 14:10, July 26, 2012 (UTC)
All I can suggest is, if you have evidence that some of these users are under 13 (e.g. they admit as much), you could contact Wikia staff to have them blocked, as they're too young to legally be Wikia editors. -- RobertATfm (talk) 20:58, August 13, 2012 (UTC)