Community Central
Register
Community Central
This Forum has been archived
Forums: Admin Central Index General Questions Edit counts not matching
Central's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Note: This topic has been unedited for 4018 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

Hi all,

On the wikia I am an admin on http://dragonvale.wikia.com/ I notice that there are two different edit counts, one on my profile and one with http://dragonvale.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Editcount

So far so good, but what is strange is that the edit counts do have different numbers. My profile says 2.092 and the edit count says 2.818, The only thing I can possibly see where the difference would be is that moving Files is count as edit on the edit count and not on my profile page.

I would sure like to have both edit counts act the same, as it confuses me why they are not the same.

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this, if not which staff member would I need to contact?

Essiw 13:35, June 7, 2012 (UTC)

I'm not 100% sure, but from what I can tell the editcount on your profile updates every so often, while Special:Editcount updates every time you make an edit. After a while, the editcount on your profile should catch up. Cat: meowhunt 16:08, June 9, 2012 (UTC)
Thanks for your answer, but that does not seem the case here, I seem to be constantly missing 800 edits on one of the pages. Essiw 23:23, June 9, 2012 (UTC)
Perhaps it misses out deleted contribs? Other than that all I can think of is page moves like you suggested. User:Cåm/Signature 23:49, June 9, 2012 (UTC)
Cåm is correct. One edit count counts all edits while the other subtracts all deleted edits from its total. What this means is, if you do 50 edits on an article, then it's deleted, you lose 50 edits on one of those counts, while the other never decreases. Rappy 23:59, June 9, 2012 (UTC)
I don't think that would be it either, because I have not made 800 edits to things that got deleted. Other admins seem to only miss a few edits, not hundreds and the only thing I did different was moving and deleting images. Essiw 21:30, June 10, 2012 (UTC)

(Reset indent) Perhaps you were looking at the cross-wiki editscount -- Sam Wang (talk) 01:50, June 10, 2012 (UTC)

He's not - his user page header does indeed indicate he has around 800 fewer edits than Special:Editcount shows. It's probably from deleted contribs. User:Sactage/s.js 03:25, June 10, 2012 (UTC)
If you look here, there's quite a few on that list. I believe I am correct when I say that deleted contribs only show the last edit that you made to the 'target' article that was deleted. If you have several edits to that article, they are all removed from the total on your masthead. Rappy 08:11, June 11, 2012 (UTC)
That are not even 100 deleted things, which I all only have 1 edit on, maybe 2 max. Though I did got a reply from the support team, saying that page/file moves don't count (and of course deleted things and some other thingies) but that explains why I am missing 800 edits on one of those. Also he said it was intended that way, so no bug here. Thanks for all your replies :D Essiw 09:03, June 12, 2012 (UTC)
It's strange, my editcount is only missing 2 edits, yet I've done loads of edits on deleted articles. I think there is a bug here, but I doubt staff will want to identify the bug or fix it--Category:Acer4666 10:42, June 12, 2012 (UTC)
Only Wikia knows how the profile edit count is calculated, so I would ask them via Special:Contact/general. -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 13 Jun 2012 4:05 PM Pacific

You know what is strange, I got that reply of the support team saying that it was meant that way, and right now both of the counters are on 3500... So not sure what happened but glad to see them at the same amount Essiw 11:31, June 22, 2012 (UTC)essiw