Wikia

Community Central

Admin Forum:Force user creation

Talk0
93,581pages on
this wiki

This Forum has been archived

Forums: Admin Central Index Technical Help Force user creation
Wikia's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.

Hello, I'm currently an administrator at The_Amazing_World_Of_Gumball Wiki, and I was wondering something. I have seen other wikis have a forced account creation before they could edit a page, or leave a comment. I was wondering if anyone knows how to make this happen, that "Wiki contributers" could no longer edit pages! Thanks! They'll pass us anyway! 05:05, April 28, 2012 (UTC)

Hi, which wiki are you referring to? It doesn't seem like one on Wikia, as it prides itself on being free-to-edit by anyone. ~ Demise101 ♥ Lets Talk! ♥ Blogs! ~

This wiki right here > http://theamazingworldofgumball.wikia.com/wiki/The_Amazing_World_of_Gumball_Wiki <

"it prides itself on being free-to-edit by anyone." yes, I know. However, that's what I want changed. I want to know if there is a way to make it only changeable/editable by registered users, not anonymous contributers. Don't make me laugh.. 05:30, April 28, 2012 (UTC)

Erm, Sorry, I meant the wiki that you saw the feature on. Also, if you look here you'll see that Wikia won't let you change it. ~ Demise101 ♥ Lets Talk! ♥ Blogs! ~

Hmm, I see; sorry for that. The wiki which does that is http://www.wowwiki.com/Special:WikiActivity. However, with that information you sent me, I've come to the conclusion that they must have protection on ALL content based pages blocking unregistered users from editing it. Is there a way to do that? Don't make me laugh.. 05:40, April 28, 2012 (UTC)

Ah: As I thought. Your link doesn't have the .wikia part, meaning that it isn't Wikia- it's a seperate site altogether. Yes, it's possible to do that on a different site, but not on Wikia. Hope this helps, ~ Demise101 ♥ Lets Talk! ♥ Blogs! ~

Wow, I feel like an idiot now; Thanks anyways. Don't make me laugh.. 05:45, April 28, 2012 (UTC)

Wowwiki is a Wikia wiki, it just wasn't originally on Wikia. It joined in 2007. Fandyllic (who frequents the forums here) is a bureaucrat there. — Mathmagician 06:02, April 28, 2012 (UTC)

Oh? I thought it originated from Wikia, and branched off! (Silly me :<) ~ Demise101 ♥ Lets Talk! ♥ Blogs! ~

A large portion of its users left and formed Wowpedia (google it) when Oasis was 'introduced', which I guess it what you're referring to. Cqm  00:02, April 30, 2012 (UTC)

w:c:fallout.answers also forces user creation, but they're a special case; that site was overrun with spam, etc. that almost entirely went away when they forced user creation over a weekend because of a vandal that trashed the place with sockpuppets. Cat: meowhunt 23:34, April 30, 2012 (UTC)

Around Wikia's network

Random Wiki