Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Depending on which parts of the help you read, you get the advice to edit either global.js, common.js or wikia.js to create site-wide changes for all users. Which one is it? Or are all of them used? If so, is there a load order?
And as a follow-up question: Which stylesheet creates site-wide changes for all users?
Pecoes 00:49, February 13, 2012 (UTC)
- Global js is your own personal js file that you can make here on community central. It is js that will be loaded on every wiki you go to but only affects you. Special:MyPage/wikia.js is js that only effects you while using the wikia skin but on one wiki only. MediaWiki:Wikia.js is js that loads for all users on a wiki that use the Wikia skin. MediaWiki:Common.js loads for all users on a wiki regardless of what skin they use.--
- (edit conflict)
Here's your handy guide:
- MediaWiki:Wikia.js will load for all users using the default (Wikia) skin
- User:Pecoes/wikia.js (or Monobook, common) will load only for you
- On Central only, you can create User:Pecoes/global.js - which will load on all sites across Wikia, but only for you.
- The same is true for .css, with the exception of Common.css, which only works in the monobook skin, you should use wikia.css for most things, but if you're adding site-wide CSS for infoboxes or something similar, you might also want to put the rule in monobook.css as well, especially if you know that there are users that use monobook on your wiki.
- Hope that helps. -- RandomTime 00:59, February 13, 2012 (UTC)
- Thank you very much! To both of you! May I suggest to add that information at help.wikia.com? As it is you don't find anything at all when you search for either "wikia.js" or "common.js".
- Pecoes 01:10, February 13, 2012 (UTC)
Either there or there, personal common.js and global.js are not active, whereas User:Ftiercel/wikia.js and User:Ftiercel/monobook.js are working well for each skin. Morever, MediaWiki:Common.js works well for everybody. Is it normal? I have tested with no code and just alert. It works renamed wikia.js or monobook.js but not named common.js . Ftiercel 05:56, March 8, 2012 (UTC)
- Hi global.js is loaded from community central, so won't work on other wikis. Your personal /common.js won't work yet as that feature was added in MediaWiki version 1.17 (Wikia is currently on 1.16), so it will start working on Wikia when we upgrade our MediaWiki version. I hope that helps. :) Cheers, grunny:~$ 06:48, March 8, 2012 (UTC)
- Thanks :) Ftiercel 10:17, March 8, 2012 (UTC)
Adding info to Help wiki
Adding pages to Help wiki is unpredictable, since Wikia has never coordinated or given a policy for non-staff users to add shared help pages. Therefore, most experienced users tend not to contribute as Wikia has a tendency to revert or redirect help pages that someone may have spent a while and some work creating (which has happened to me a few times).
Theoretically, you can safely create a draft help page in the Draft: namespace and then request that Wikia staff move it to Help:, but it is pretty much a crap shoot.