Wikia

Community Central

Admin Forum:How do you apologize to an admin even though they blocked you?

Talk0
94,625pages on
this wiki

This Forum has been archived

Forums: Admin Central Index General Questions How do you apologize to an admin even though they blocked you?
Wikia's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Note: This topic has been unedited for 623 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

How Do you get unblocked if you can't apologize after being blocked? —This unsigned comment is by Dan67 (wallcontribs) . Please sign your posts with ~~~~!

If the wiki doesn't have Message Wall enabled, you should still be able to edit your talk page (depending on how they blocked you). If it does, you might be able to post on your own wall, I don't really know. —Airhogs777 WCB WS 17:31, February 3, 2012 (UTC)
So you were totally blocked? Most of the time, admin should go with the default blocking conditions, which allow you to still post to your own wall/talk page, as Airhogs777 mentioned. Often you can respond there. You can also attempt to leave e-mail for the person, but you may be blocked there, too. Or the admin may not have email enabled.
You then have only a few options.
Let's start with the least likely option, just to get it out of the way. If the blocking was done by an admin who appears to be seriously abusing his or her powers, you may be able to ask for a review from Wikia Staff, but 99 times out of 100, they're not going to overturn local admin. Still, there are those occasional cases of admin "going crazy" and blocking without good cause. These cases are very, very rare, however. You'd almost certainly have to prove that other people than you were being blocked nonsensically by the admin in question.
Chances are, though, if the admin left you a message on your talk page which clearly explained why you were being blocked, Wikia Staff aren't going to touch it. If the admin has additionally cited local policy in his or her blocking of you, there's very little chance of it being overturned. If the admin has given you warnings before a policy-based block, don't even bother contacting Wikia Staff. They definitely won't touch it.
Overall, therefore, it's best to avoid involving Wikia Staff at all.
So somehow you need to get in touch with local admin. The only way to do this, if they're preventing you from all communication on their wiki, is to go to another Wikia wiki — neutral ground as it were — and leave a message on their wall/talk page there. If they don't respond to you after one (I again emphasise one) polite and reasonable attempt at apology, you can make one last attempt.
Your can then seek out a different local admin than the one who blocked you and plead your case. (Again, you'll have to contact them on a different wiki, and again you'll need to keep your cool when you do it.) Admit that you were wrong and ask the "neutral" admin to perform an internal review of the case. If you make your case politely and you admit you were wrong, you might get the blocking re-considered. The blocking might not actually get overturned, but at least you'll have gotten some sort of review by the only people who can overturn it.
Having said all this, you need to be very careful about contacting people who have blocked you. Don't carry on a conversation with a person on wiki a about events on wiki b. The admin of wiki b might not like it, especially if the conversation turns ugly. You could easily end up being banned from wiki b too. Make it one' note. Make it apologetic. Don't swear. Don't accuse. Just say, "I made a mistake. I apologise profusely. Is there any way you could review the block and lower it?" That's it. And remember: one attempt at communicating with a blocking admin is reasonable. Two or more attempts can be considered harrassment.
And if by some miracle you do get the blocking overturned, don't make the same mistake again. The blocking that will come after letting you back in will almost certainly be worse.
czechout@Wikia    fly tardis  <span style="">14:53: Tue 03 Apr 2012 
Harassing someone does you no favours, it creates bad feelings all around. As CzechOut mentioned, you're free to send a polite message to them on another wiki, but note that it's completely their decision to reply or not. Feel free to use this wiki to send the message -- RandomTime 15:03, April 3, 2012 (UTC)
@Czechout: That was an in-depth and well written reply! Would you mind adding it to the Shared Help or some other place where it's easily linkable? (I'll tag this {{FAQ}} but I can't shake the feeling that the FAQ is where great answers go to die.) --  pecoes  16:10, April 03, 2012 (UTC) 
Well, I think his reply is very good quality, too, but I think he did focus a little bit too much on the "Wikia Staff are almost never going to unblock you". Otherwise, I don't think his reply could be improved in any way. EpicWikipedian 17:19, April 3, 2012 (UTC)
As good as that post is, Wikia will likely remove or rewrite it heavily, if it is submitted in it's current form to shared help. Do you think they would allow a help page that says: Overall, therefore, it's best to avoid involving Wikia Staff at all. -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 4 Apr 2012 3:14 PM Pacific

Around Wikia's network

Random Wiki