Community Central
Register
Community Central
This Forum has been archived
Forums: Admin Central Index General Questions How do you motivate your editors to edit?
Central's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Note: This topic has been unedited for 4015 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

How do you get your editors and community to edit, take care of maintenance and get things to be done on your wiki? Do you use Community Corner or make a list? What has your experience been when you delegate tasks to specific users on your wikis? --Meighan WikiaStaff.png (help forum | blog) 18:20, July 11, 2011 (UTC)

I try to keep the community portal up to date with some easy jobs for new users. That's exactly how I joined Wikia at first, I read about the need of updating some links, registered and took care of it (I had experience with wikis before that). But I don't really feel like a moderator or boss of a wiki, just because I can delete pages and block vandals, I feel like part of a team. I've never raised a wiki right from the start to a noteworthy size, so maybe some of you will disagree. I was always nominated for adminship or adopted the wiki. So maybe you have some advice for me? --Weas-El  22:30, July 14, 2011 (UTC)
Do you go on about what you need to do on a wiki, because you know what you want to edit/add? Or do you think lists of what to do are helpful? What wikis are you editing on? --Meighan WikiaStaff.png (help forum | blog) 01:12, July 15, 2011 (UTC)
Personally I like lists of things to be done or articles to be created. But many users obviously don't use the community portal. I edit in the Inheritance Cycle Wiki and several german wikis (de.lotr for example). I have my own list of things to be done on my user page and added a short list of jobs to the community portal. But we have other active users there who know well what needs be done. My "problem wikis" are rather the german ones that most readers here probably don't understand ;-). --Weas-El  15:16, July 15, 2011 (UTC)
Interesting. I really like how nice and neat the portal is, perfect for newbies as a way to lay everything out. Also your user page is so tricked out! Well done! ;) --Meighan WikiaStaff.png (help forum | blog) 17:21, July 15, 2011 (UTC)

I've found it difficult to motivate users to edit without seeing a basic motivation to contribute already present. I try to focus on helping users who already like to edit a little bit to edit more. One way I do this is tell them that I trust their judgement about the edits they do, but I will give them pointers and correct edits, if they seem to be making mistakes or going in a direction I disagree with. Usually when they see what I'm doing they'll follow my lead and I don't really have to monitor their edits after awhile and just do spot checks like I would do normally on big edits. -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 10 Aug 2011 9:11 PM Pacific