Wikia

Community Central

Admin Forum:Is there a way to block proxy providers or edits made from proxy IPs?

Talk0
90,799pages on
this wiki

This Forum has been archived

Forums: Admin Central Index Technical Help Is there a way to block proxy providers or edits made from proxy IPs?
Wikia's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Note: This topic has been unedited for 523 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

As the topic title states. I am asking this because there is a user that has gone out of their way to be an annoyance using Talk Talk three times now and dealing with them is getting old. User:Great_MaraMessage 12:54, June 11, 2012 (UTC)

Unfortunately, blocking open proxies would block a lot of legitimate users, and we'd never be able to get them all (IPs change all the time) - we might be able to block an abusive range of IP addresses, can you give us a list of what IPs/users have been a problem? -- RandomTime 14:37, June 11, 2012 (UTC)
The first IP was 153.107.33.152 coming from Sydney, Australia, but from running the IP through What is my IP it looks like the service provider was from a K-12 school, the next was 92.13.67.31 coming from Cheshire, Great Britain via TalkTalk Communications, and finally 92.13.70.63 coming from Manchester, Great Britain also being provided via TalkTalk. There are a couple similar ones on Megami Tensei Wiki before I blocked the 153 address but I'm not sure if they're the same person, but they were also using TalkTalk. User:Great_MaraMessage 16:47, June 11, 2012 (UTC)

And again today at IP 92.13.68.95. User:Great_MaraMessage 12:37, June 17, 2012 (UTC)

You can block a range of IPs, MediaWiki supports blocking a group of IPs up to the /16 level (see here for an explanation, and you can calculate a range here) -- RandomTime 12:44, June 17, 2012 (UTC)

Around Wikia's network

Random Wiki