The message is really unclear to me as to why I can't edit the Local Wikia Menu (MediaWiki:Wikia-navigation-global). It would be really, really helpful for my wikia if there is a way to edit it, and helpful to me if there's an explanation why I can't edit it. :)
Drewlzoo 22:38, November 2, 2011 (UTC)
- Its not local, its global. Only staff can edit it.--
- It is global, but it says local for some reason. I was sorta' looking for a reason why only staff can edit it.
- Because like I said, it is a global page. Changing it would change it for all wikis.--
- Oh, OK. Thanks. Drewlzoo
- Actually in the latest Webinars they said "staff" could change it locally if there was a specific reason for a individual wiki. You would have to contact them, but you might want to wait til after the final release of the product. They are still looking for feedback though.--Sxerks 00:09, November 4, 2011 (UTC)
Actually, as far as I know, MediaWiki:Wikia-navigation-global is a regular message like any other, except for the fact that it can only be edited by Staff. From that perspective changing it locally will only affect that one wiki.
- What bugs me, is that it cannot be translated currently, thus its lacking any translations. –Tm_T (Talk) 07:27, November 4, 2011 (UTC)
- Problem is that it is not on translatewiki.net, otherwise I would have translated it already. Most likely those wikis have asked staff to do it or they have done it some other way, but that's just local fix and makes no sense to do the same translation individually to every wiki out there. –Tm_T (Talk) 08:01, November 4, 2011 (UTC)
- Yeah, couldn't find it either. But the fact that these messages weren't edited since creation leads me to believe that these translations are by default, so even though we can't translate the messages the translations are still being done globally. — Sovq 08:11, November 4, 2011 (UTC)
- Well, someone did the translations, and since regular users can't/aren't allowed to, I imagine it was done by either Staff or on their request. I'm sure that if you ask the Staff, they'll help you in translating the message on your wiki.
- I guess the reason why it's not on translatewiki.net is that the translation could become subject to personal preference of a verity of users. If they can't edit it locally - they'd try to edit it globally only to fit their wiki. — Sovq 08:27, November 4, 2011 (UTC)
- That (translation to match only a particular wiki) wouldn't stay long on translatewiki.net, as there's plenty of eyes reviewing translations to ensure they're high-quality and consistent. I know, as I get poked on almost every translation I do. What I think the reason it's not there yet is that as english strings aren't freezed yet, translations could get deprecated any moment. (: –Tm_T (Talk) 08:33, November 4, 2011 (UTC)
Lucky you, there's very little activity regarding polish translations, as I imagine is the problem for some other languages as well. That means that while unjustified translations for 'popular' languages might be quickly fixed, others will stay unedited for a while. I'd like it if the English version wasn't, as you put it, "freezed" yet. This could mean that Wikia is still reconsidering the content of the "On the Wiki" tab, which I personally consider a waste of space. — Sovq 08:46, November 4, 2011 (UTC)