Community Central
Community Central
Forums: Admin Central Index General Questions New namespaces
Central's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Note: This topic has been unedited for 4434 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

Are there any problems associated with adding some new namespaces such as these to an existing wiki:

1. I'm think of adding a Portal namespace to contain intro pages to the various topic areas of the wiki.
  2. I currently have a bunch of tables located in the template space that are content, but few users edit and were separated out of the articles so they are now tranclude into to remove the easily broken table code form the article page & to allow them to be protected without locking the whole article. As they are actually content rather than code the 'missing ones' clutter up the wanted templates list.
  3. Pages for individual vehicles that are named via their registration number. As these numbers have several formats and can cause confusion with some short words and model numbers would there be any down side (or upside) to placing them in a separate namespace ? (obviously they would then need to be pre-fixed with say "Reg-no:" in every link within the article to use them).

Comments please on the pros and/or cons of the ideas.

-   BulldozerD11   talk    contribs    email   01:50, February 28, 2012 (UTC)

The first one is very common. In fact, I have no idea why the portal namespace is not active on wikis to begin with. The other two Im not sure about. While it would be easy to throw them in another namespace. It may not be best. You could probably make do with just prefixed pages.--GodPray  01:56,2/28/2012 
If you want to create a namespace, then you can request for one using Special:Contact/general Sam Wang 02:31, February 28, 2012 (UTC)

@Godisme - Yes I thought Portal was a std one and only realised it was not when updating some imported templates & documentation that had namespace detection in, as i then looked up the list of wikia namspaces. Hence looking at adding it and others at the same time as a way of better managing some of the material on the wiki. I've had several goes a creating templates to add the tables and think having it in a separated namespace may make it easier to do, as I could move the Doc template as a wrapper for it with some pre loaded pages to suit the vehicle type variations. (I hope)
Thanks Sam but "How to Add a new namespace" was not the question ! Help:Namespaces has info on that. The question I was asking the community was are there ANY Problems I should be aware of if I added (requested) these new namespace(s) for the Wiki, as it sometimes better to research thing first rather than try to fix the problem later.
-   BulldozerD11   talk    contribs    email   18:31, February 28, 2012 (UTC)