Wikia

Community Central

Admin Forum:Passing variables from one template to another

Talk0
91,052pages on
this wiki

This Forum has been archived

Forums: Admin Central Index Technical Help Passing variables from one template to another
Wikia's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.

Okay, here's a puzzler for people who understand conditional tables better than I do. I have a template called tardis:template:job table. It's kind of a "gestalt" template, in that it passes certain bits of its output through other templates through SMW, and then re-assembles the output of those templates into a completed table. What I need is to somehow get a variable called {{{label}}} to be passed from tardis:template:job table to tardis:template:job table head.

In other words, a person types {{job table|label=This is a custom table header}}. Somehow, I then need to get "This is a custom table header" to the part of {{job table head}} of my choosing, because {{job table head}} creates the table headers for the table that ultimately gets re-assembled by {{job table}}.

Is this sort of thing even possible? Can you use one template to pass a variable to another template? czechout@Wikia    fly tardis  <span style="">15:05: Tue 15 May 2012 

Template:B
B says: ''{{{1}}}''
Template:A
{{B|{{{1}}}}}
Page AB
{{A|sure, why not}}
Result:
B says: sure, why not
 pecoes  15:54, May 15, 2012 (UTC) 
If you go by SMW:Help:Template format, it is not possible.--PedroM 16:13, May 15, 2012 (UTC)

Around Wikia's network

Random Wiki