Community Central
Community Central
No edit summary
m (Archiving Admin Forums)

(11 intermediate revisions by 3 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
  +
{{ForumArchiveBox}}
{{Admin-Forumheader|General Questions}}

+
  +
[[Category:General Questions|Purging an image and regenerating delay]]
  +
<div class="forumheader" style="margin-bottom: .25em;">'''Forums:''' [[Admin Central:Forum|Admin Central Index]] '''→''' [[Admin Forum:General Questions|General Questions]] '''→''' Purging an image and regenerating delay
  +
</div>
  +
<div style="text-align:center; margin-bottom: .5em; font-size:90%; border:1px solid #ccc; border-top: 0px; padding:0 4px;" >Wikia's forums are a place for the community to help other members.<br/> To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use [[Special:Contact]].</div>
  +

<!-- Please put your content under this line. Be sure to sign your edits with four tildes: ~~~~

<!-- Please put your content under this line. Be sure to sign your edits with four tildes: ~~~~
Line 19: Line 25:

::::From the reply you can get the image's "pageid". With that you can request a thumbnail:

::::From the reply you can get the image's "pageid". With that you can request a thumbnail:

::::<nowiki>http://pecoes.wikia.com/api.php?action=imagecrop&imgId=YYYY&imgSize=600</nowiki>
+
::::<nowiki>http://pecoes.wikia.com/api.php?action=imagecrop&imgId=YYYY&imgSize=600</nowiki>

::::(YYYY is the pageid)

::::(YYYY is the pageid)

::::But I can't think of a clever way to use that trick. This new thumbnail does not update the version you will see in the article. It is a completely separate revision - one that is not even listed on the File:XXX.png page. You can only request it by its full URL. -- {{User:Pecoes/sig|20:45, May 12, 2012 (UTC)}}

::::But I can't think of a clever way to use that trick. This new thumbnail does not update the version you will see in the article. It is a completely separate revision - one that is not even listed on the File:XXX.png page. You can only request it by its full URL. -- {{User:Pecoes/sig|20:45, May 12, 2012 (UTC)}}
  +
  +
:::::I get it.. sadly, we can only wait for it to come for the moment. Somehow I will try to talk with staff.
  +
:::::There's an another issue about favicon. I uploaded [[w:c:ko.oreimo:File:Favicon.ico|favicon.ico]] and [[w:c:ko.oreimo:File:Wiki-wordmark.png|a new wordmark]] images but no response from more than a day. Should I just wait even more, or is this a malfunction? {{User:Cafeinlove/Sig2|2012-05-13, 6:44 am(UTC+9)}}
  +
  +
::::::You can update the favicon by navigating to it directly via the URL bar and then reloading it with F5 or Ctrl+F5 - depending on your browser. The same trick might work with the wordmark as well, but I'm not sure. -- {{User:Pecoes/sig|22:39, May 12, 2012 (UTC)}}
  +
  +
:::::::The wordmark has been reloaded some minute ago(I didn't do anything). But about the favicon, I tried yesterday many times to purge it by going directly to its URL.
  +
:::::::Odd that on IE my favicon is correctly loaded, but not on FF / Chrome. I also tried to delete browser cache, install Chrome Canary side by side, but no result. {{User:Cafeinlove/Sig2|2012-05-13, 7:47 am(UTC+9)}}
  +
  +
::::::::[[File:Fav.png|left]] Is this what it's supposed to look like? :) -- {{User:Pecoes/sig|22:54, May 12, 2012 (UTC)}}
  +
  +
<br style="clear:all" />
  +
:::::::::Right. How did you do this? Or maybe did I do something wrong? My process was accessing <span style="word-wrap:break-word;"><nowiki>http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120511171531/oreimo/ko/images/6/64/Favicon.ico</nowiki></span> then press Ctrl+F5. {{User:Cafeinlove/Sig2|2012-05-13, 8:11 am(UTC+9)}}
  +
  +
:::::::::I didn't have to do anything. I came to your wiki with a blank cache. But it's odd that Ctrl+F5 didn't work... You could try to add a meaningless parameter: .../favicon.ico?2 -- {{User:Pecoes/sig|23:18, May 12, 2012 (UTC)}}
  +
  +
:::::::::Mmm.. doesn't change still. Maybe a problem with the Theme designer. I will try to delete it once and reupload manually. Then if this persist, I will ask the staff. Thank you very much Pecoes. {{User:Cafeinlove/Sig2|2012-05-13, 8:34 am(UTC+9)}}
  +
  +
:::::::::It simply worked. In this case, is it really a problem of the TD? :S Surprised. I will notice this to the staff as well. {{User:Cafeinlove/Sig2|2012-05-13, 9:47 am(UTC+9)}}
  +
  +
{{Ri}}I saw the correct favicon. That means whatever you did worked - just not for you - or at least not right away. This is most definitely a caching problem. And it's not necessarily a problem on wikia's end either. It's quite possible that Firefox was a bit "clingy". If I were you I woudln't report this to Staff. -- {{User:Pecoes/sig|01:03, May 13, 2012 (UTC)}}
  +
  +
:I didn't do it yet, cause I couldn't get clear idea about even what this phenomen is. It isn't good to make report only with conjecture. But somehow I'd love to see Wikia, or my actual browser improved in their caching system. {{User:Cafeinlove/Sig2|2012-05-13, 14:58 pm(UTC+9)}}
  +
  +
::One thing that I do is to run '''without''' a cache. Not ''clear'' the cache. But actually chose to make the cache size 0. Now, it doesn't work 100% of the time — Wikia have their own, separate caching issues. But I've noticed that when I do this I have far fewer problems than when I ran with a cache and then emptied it from time to time. {{user:CzechOut/Sig}}&nbsp;<span style="{{User:CzechOut/TimeFormat}}">21:00: Tue&nbsp;15 May 2012&nbsp;</span>

Latest revision as of 18:36, 1 March 2013

This Forum has been archived
Forums: Admin Central Index General Questions Purging an image and regenerating delay
Wikia's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.

I know that after uploading a new version of an image, we generally access the purging page to force the software to make a new thumbnail of it. But I don't know why, that the time for refreshing became too long these days: sometimes it even takes hours! It's a pain for me that I cannot visualize the layout with the correct image and have to spend a long time to continue editing. Am I the only one to feel it inconvenient?  Cafeinlove msg 2012-05-12, 6:46 am(UTC+9)

Problems with proper displaying of new revisions of images have been an issue on Wikia for as long as I can remember. You're not the only editor for whom this is an inconvenience. The best way to deal with it is to report it through Special:Contact. Sovq 07:21, May 12, 2012 (UTC)
@Sovq: Does purging the page actually create a new thumbnail? --  pecoes  07:36, May 12, 2012 (UTC) 
For me not. I mean, for every wiki sites I'm working on. Although I'm curious about what will be happening if I let the page without purging it.(?)  Cafeinlove msg 2012-05-13, 2:55 am(UTC+9)
I ran a few tests and no, purging does not seem to re-create thumbnails.
I found out how to force the creation of a thumbnail, though. There's two steps: First you need the image ID. Let's say your image has the name XXX.png, then the request would look like this:
http://yourwiki.wikia.com/api.php?action=query&titles=File:XXX.png&prop=imageinfo
From the reply you can get the image's "pageid". With that you can request a thumbnail:
http://pecoes.wikia.com/api.php?action=imagecrop&imgId=YYYY&imgSize=600
(YYYY is the pageid)
But I can't think of a clever way to use that trick. This new thumbnail does not update the version you will see in the article. It is a completely separate revision - one that is not even listed on the File:XXX.png page. You can only request it by its full URL. --  pecoes  20:45, May 12, 2012 (UTC) 
I get it.. sadly, we can only wait for it to come for the moment. Somehow I will try to talk with staff.
There's an another issue about favicon. I uploaded favicon.ico and a new wordmark images but no response from more than a day. Should I just wait even more, or is this a malfunction?  Cafeinlove msg 2012-05-13, 6:44 am(UTC+9)
You can update the favicon by navigating to it directly via the URL bar and then reloading it with F5 or Ctrl+F5 - depending on your browser. The same trick might work with the wordmark as well, but I'm not sure. --  pecoes  22:39, May 12, 2012 (UTC) 
The wordmark has been reloaded some minute ago(I didn't do anything). But about the favicon, I tried yesterday many times to purge it by going directly to its URL.
Odd that on IE my favicon is correctly loaded, but not on FF / Chrome. I also tried to delete browser cache, install Chrome Canary side by side, but no result.  Cafeinlove msg 2012-05-13, 7:47 am(UTC+9)
Fav
Is this what it's supposed to look like? :) --  pecoes  22:54, May 12, 2012 (UTC) 

Right. How did you do this? Or maybe did I do something wrong? My process was accessing http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120511171531/oreimo/ko/images/6/64/Favicon.ico then press Ctrl+F5.  Cafeinlove msg 2012-05-13, 8:11 am(UTC+9)
I didn't have to do anything. I came to your wiki with a blank cache. But it's odd that Ctrl+F5 didn't work... You could try to add a meaningless parameter: .../favicon.ico?2 --  pecoes  23:18, May 12, 2012 (UTC) 
Mmm.. doesn't change still. Maybe a problem with the Theme designer. I will try to delete it once and reupload manually. Then if this persist, I will ask the staff. Thank you very much Pecoes.  Cafeinlove msg 2012-05-13, 8:34 am(UTC+9)
It simply worked. In this case, is it really a problem of the TD? :S Surprised. I will notice this to the staff as well.  Cafeinlove msg 2012-05-13, 9:47 am(UTC+9)

(Reset indent) I saw the correct favicon. That means whatever you did worked - just not for you - or at least not right away. This is most definitely a caching problem. And it's not necessarily a problem on wikia's end either. It's quite possible that Firefox was a bit "clingy". If I were you I woudln't report this to Staff. --  pecoes  01:03, May 13, 2012 (UTC) 

I didn't do it yet, cause I couldn't get clear idea about even what this phenomen is. It isn't good to make report only with conjecture. But somehow I'd love to see Wikia, or my actual browser improved in their caching system.  Cafeinlove msg 2012-05-13, 14:58 pm(UTC+9)
One thing that I do is to run without a cache. Not clear the cache. But actually chose to make the cache size 0. Now, it doesn't work 100% of the time — Wikia have their own, separate caching issues. But I've noticed that when I do this I have far fewer problems than when I ran with a cache and then emptied it from time to time. czechout    fly tardis  21:00: Tue 15 May 2012