Fandom

Community Central

Admin Forum:Signature Timestamp

19,023pages on
this wiki
Add New Page
Talk0 Share

Ad blocker interference detected!

Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers

Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.

This Forum has been archived

Forums: Admin Central Index Technical Help Signature Timestamp
Wikia's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.

Hi there,

I wanted to ask if anyone has a way to have a timestamp work properly for custom signatures. I've attempted quite a few times to get it to work, but the code that I put in often immediately turns into a timestamp, meaning that my signatures are given an incorrect time. Is there any way to get a piece of code that will make each of my signatures give a correct time-stamp, or do I need to change the way I use the signature itself? ~ Demise101 ♥ Lets Talk! ♥ Blogs! ~

This is how I have mine set up:
  1. My signature has two unnamed parsers, one each for both time and date.
  2. My signature redirect passes those two parameters.
  3. In my preferences, I substitute those two parameters, expressing them as the correct time and date:
{{SUBST:User:Dzylon/Sig|{{SUBST:#time: h:i:s}}|{{SUBST:#time: F d, Y}}}}
It's also a good idea to have an #if parser function in your preferences, so you don't need to port your signature everywhere you edit. Dzylon  Talk  10:20:07  June 06, 2012
Edit: I see you have a smaller sig, so the redirect thing isn't really necessary (though not a bad idea, as it decreases talk page clutter). You can just skip step two. Dzylon  Talk  10:23:59  June 06, 2012
Oh, I see. Thanks! I do have a question though; what does the #if parser do? ~ Demise101 ♥ Lets Talk! ♥ Blogs! ~
Oops! I'm using the Nosubst template, so I'll have to change it. Thanks again, ~ Demise101 ♥ Lets Talk! ♥ Blogs! ~
{{#ifexist:User:Example/Sig | REAL SIG HERE | PROVISIONARY SIG HERE}}
With that in your preferences, the server checks to see if User:Example/Sig exists. If it does, the entire signature is used. If it doesn't, a shorter one is used (that doesn't require any local pages to function). This way, if you need to use your signature on a wiki that you haven't yet ported it onto, you can. Mine does this: Dzylon (Talk) 10:37:28/June 06, 2012
Edit: I looked at your SigReal page and noticed you were using two unnamed parameters right next to each other. This isn't necessary in your case; you could just use one. I need to have two with mine because there's a border between the time and date.
Dzylon  Talk  10:41:42  June 06, 2012

Hmm....Alright. Thank you very much or your help, I'll get working on it now :) ~ Demise101 ♥ Lets Talk! ♥ Blogs! 10:45:11 June 06, 2012 ~

Also on Fandom

Random Wiki