Wikia

Community Central

Admin Forum:Someone has just lifted the entire wiki that I administrate, what do I do?

Talk0
93,745pages on
this wiki

This Forum has been archived

Forums: Admin Central Index General Questions Someone has just lifted the entire wiki that I administrate, what do I do?
Wikia's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.

This site here: http://us.337.com/pages/364591/The%20Elder%20Scrolls%20Wiki has lifted the ENTIRE Elderscrolls.wikia site, pretty much. Heck, that page even has our member of the month (a little while back) listed. :( What can I do? TimeoinSay G'DayView my work 05:18, February 15, 2012 (UTC)

Leave a message for staff at Special:Contact. Smithing (talk | contribs) 05:24, February 15, 2012 (UTC)
I think this site is one that staff mentioned is hosted in China, and so there's no legal recourse for them to do this. If this is the case, then unfortunatly there isn't much that anyone can do, except hope that nobody views the wiki at 337.com. There's a boilerplate notice "Part of games and pages in our site are uploaded by players. contents may come from the entire network. Content copyrights are owned by the original authors. If we infringe your copyright unintentionally, please contact us. We will delete the content within 3 working days." - but I'm guessing that's just for show -- RandomTime 07:37, February 15, 2012 (UTC)
It is indeed just for show. Deyvid contacted them 10-11 days ago, still nothing. Ah well :( TimeoinSay G'DayView my work 02:00, February 16, 2012 (UTC)
Hey all - I've been in touch with both Deyvid and Timeoin via email regarding this issue. I want to point out that 337.com does have a US-based host who is bound by US copyright law. I suggest those of you who are concerned your copyrights have been violated send complete DMCA Takedown notices to abuse@softlayer.com (Softlayer is their US host). Because Wikia is just the host of your copyrighted content (per the terms of the CC-BY-SA license), we cannot send takedown notices on your behalf. Also, I am not a lawyer so I cannot provide legal advice regarding intricacies of copyright law (nor can any Wikia employee). Wikipedia has provided a really handy DMCA Takedown template (just replace WIkipedia links with the relevant Wikia links). Thanks. Jen Burton@Wikia (help forum | blog) 02:23, February 16, 2012 (UTC)

Around Wikia's network

Random Wiki