Wikia

Community Central

Admin Forum:Vandalism '''by''' a VSTF member

Talk0
92,650pages on
this wiki

This Forum has been archived

Forums: Admin Central Index General Questions Vandalism '''by''' a VSTF member
Wikia's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.

Earlier this evening (UK time), a certain VSTF member whom I shall not name here vandalised a page on the Doom wiki by restoring a page-blanking which a previous (anonymous IP) vandal had done, and which was subsequently reverted by another editor. This is mind-boggling; I thought the VSTF were supposed to prevent this sort of thing, not perpetrate it themselves.

I've tried to block the user in question, as I would any other vandal, but it would seem that blocking of VSTF is Not Allowed (the modern equivalent of the mediaeval "benefit of clergy" law). Certainly I want an explanation, and safeguards against this happening again. -- RobertATfm (talk) 21:16, August 13, 2012 (UTC)

There's a tiny probability of it all being a misunderstanding. I'd advice on researching this by encountering this VSTF vandal in normal people's talk.--PedroM (talk) 21:19, August 13, 2012 (UTC)
I'm fairly sure it's a misunderstanding - it does happen - feel free to contact Vega on his talk page to ask him about it -- RandomTime 21:26, August 13, 2012 (UTC)

I've come across a similar problem, again on the Doom wiki, and I suspect it was probably a bot edit; about two months ago, in what was perhaps one of my first edits as an admin, I restored "MediaWiki:Ipboptions" (the "block length" dropdown list) to reinstate the anti-spam (infinite) length, the list having been deleted by "MediaWiki default" back in 2007 because "no longer required". I found a few minutes ago that it was deleted again a few days later by the same user for the same "reason", and without showing on Recent Changes (or I would have restored it immediately), so I've had to restore it again, and this time add it to my watchlist. Honestly, as I stated in my restoration reason, surely it's up to us who run that wiki on a day-to-day basis to decide what's "no longer required", not some mindless bot. -- RobertATfm (talk) 21:53, August 13, 2012 (UTC)
That was a different problem (this happened on my wiki too, had to restore a bunch of pages) - a bot deleted mediawiki pages that Wikia wanted to return to defaults, and I think they ran it twice to make sure they got stuff. Most of these were good things that if they stayed would've been out of date, but some of them were actually required -- RandomTime 22:02, August 13, 2012 (UTC)

Around Wikia's network

Random Wiki