Community Central
Community Central
This Forum has been archived
Forums: Admin Central Index General Questions Was I right
Wikia's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.

I really couldn't think of anything else to call this. I'm a bureaucrat on the PokéFanon wiki, and I recently blocked a friend of mine because he constantly bugged me about things. After he got experienced enough I promoted him to a temporary admin, while my computer first started acting up, hoping it would satisfy his questions about adminship. He then reverted edits to my own page, so I demoted him to rollback and blocked him for 2 hours, then promoted another friend of mine in his place. That caused an uproar, and he kept bugging me to demote her, so I gave him a strike for harassment. Strikes are like a substitute for blocking a user when you think the user deserves to still edit, but when a user get 3 strikes, they're blocked for 3 times the sentence because it is effectively 3 blocks. 'Bugging' or 'annoying' a user counts under the harassment section of our rules. He then kept bugging me, but he was already everyone's friend and even created a really important page, so I gave him a second strike for harassment. Today he bugged me again about be demoting him from rollback and banning him from chat, even though that's the standard for 2 strikes, slowly blocking the user. I told him that he was pushing it, and warned him that I could block him for 6 years, currently, and I could also give him a third strike. He just kept pushing it, and he finally pushed me over the edge, so I blocked him for 9 years. The standard for one harassment w/ warning is three years, and I multiplied that by three and fully protected his talk page and other pages that he owned. Now all of his friends are angry at me.

All I want to know: Should I have blocked him? Universal 00:32, September 24, 2011 (UTC)

I think it's best to keep personal life separate from wiki life, not that any of the people I know IRL edit wikia anyways :p. Anyway, I feel that the 9 year ban is going a bit too far, in my experience I feel that the best ban for harassment like this would be a maximum of 1 month, or removing the user's rights e.g. rollback. —ђ tคlк 00:43, September 24, 2011 (UTC)
If your policies are clearly written out, were agreed on by the community, and you followed them, I don't see a problem with the block, but 9 years does seem excessive if the person was a good contributor in the past. On WoWWiki, a cabal of admins conspired to ban a user forever and I disagreed, so I took a 3 month hiatus (sort of like banning myself, ironically). -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 23 Sep 2011 11:06 PM Pacific
I didn't know him IRL, it's a long story. My wiki friend, who had a pretty long hiatus, referred him to take over his work. The first time that I blocked him for 2 hours, my old friend came and bugged me about him in wikia chat, and caused the whole wiki to go in temporary turmoil, because he supposedly was going to 'hack' the wiki. He then apparently put a virus on the wiki, and supposedly the person (before I blocked him) killed the virus, which put many doubt in our minds. But now, apparently the person that put the virus on is in jail. Usually if a user refuses to stop something after a user repeatedly told them, they're blocked for only three. But since I used the strike system, and he harassed people 3 times, he was blocked for 3 times as long. He was a good contributor, but he was a little...disruptive, lie-y and boast-y. Universal 15:19, September 24, 2011 (UTC)
I don't really follow your logic, but I'm also always a little skeptical of fanon wikis. They are really hard to police, since people are all telling their own stories. I would discuss what is okay and not okay with the user and if they agree to tone it down, you can agree to unblock them for a probationary period (like a week) and see if they can behave. Otherwise 9 years is effectively forever so you might as well permaban the person. -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 24 Sep 2011 10:24 PM Pacific
That sounds great, since I really didn't want to block him. Universal 18:52, September 25, 2011 (UTC)
You ban people for communicating with you? Even tough you don't like their tone, attitude or ways? Mmmm... Might be me but saying 'bugger off' might help in most cases. In my perspective giving such a long ban for a violation this small (can't put in a virus on a wiki, that's nonsense and juvenile talk) is a bit out of proportion. Especially if the person in question is contributing positively.
Beside that: As admin you are a normal user with some added buttons. Nothing more, nothing less. You aren't police, government or any of that sort. So the reason he wants adminship so badly is questionable in the first place. That he is changing your userpage is a no no unless asked for by you. But still... not worth a perma ban. Ask him why he wants those extra buttons so badly. They really aren't worth that much.
-Edit- I have taken a look at pokefanon wiki. Three things which struck me:
- Colors are really bad for my eyes. There are also males reading the wiki and a lot of male persons dislike the heavy usage of pink and purple.
- What exactly is this about and where do i start
- I truely HATE starting with rules and a RTFM message. If you want more contributors, be nice to them and start by giving them a welcome feeling, instead of instantly the rules and regulations. The reaction of a fairly large group of people to rules is to start trolling. Make them feel welcome and they will start contributing instead.
Yust my 2 cents
You were probably right as long as you followed the rules of your community/wiki, & the other administrators agreed to it, if not, then you are probably wrong, unless there was more to the user "bugging" you, although 9 years seems a little much, you were most likely correct in this situation. --Bullε t (Novandals)(Don't be A Jerk)

20:47, September 25, 2011 (UTC)

Hi Universal, Wow! 9 years is a long time! Fandyllic and everyone are giving you great feedback and advice -- and I am with them that 9 years seems a little intense. I think one thing that is really important about being an admin is being able to coach overeager users...and banning is a tool that can ultimatley help that, but you want to use it in moderation. It also sounds like the community doesn't agree with this ban -- that is something that is really important to look at. Let us know how it goes. --Meighan WikiaStaff.png (help forum | blog) 00:34, September 29, 2011 (UTC)