Fandom

Community Central

Admin Forum:What do you think about the auto number heading?

19,031pages on
this wiki
Add New Page
Talk0 Share

Ad blocker interference detected!

Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers

Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.

This Forum has been archived

Forums: Admin Central Index Admin Watercooler What do you think about the auto number heading?
Central's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Note: This topic has been unedited for 1363 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

MediaWiki has a function called "Auto-number heading" on user preference. This allows to have numbering of each heading within pages. Just like the toc number:

• 1 Description
  • 2 History
    • 2.1 19th century
    • 2.2 20th century
    • 2.3 Today
1 Description
2 History
2.1 19th century
2.2 20th century
2.3 Today

I find this kind of useful, because when I click on jumplinks of the TOC, sometimes I don't feel like jumping to right section that I wanted to read. Mostly when there are more than 2 titles simliar to each other. In cases like this, if the section headings themselves were numbered, we could easily make distinction.

But Wikia doesn't seem to support this any more. I don't understand well why. What do you think about it? (Please tell me if I'm missing anything.)  Cafeinlove msg 2012.06.10, 09:48 (UTC)

Wikia cleaned up the preferences to make them easier to use, I'm guessing they got rid of this because not many people used it. Try sending a message to Special:Contact to see if they can either change it just for you, or re-add the preference. -- RandomTime 10:19, June 10, 2012 (UTC)
I think that is what I need to do, somehow I would like to know what the others are thinking about the point.  Cafeinlove msg 2012.06.10, 11:10 (UTC)

Also on Fandom

Random Wiki