Wikia

Community Central

Admin Forum:What is a fact?

Talk0
93,700pages on
this wiki

This Forum has been archived

Forums: Admin Central Index Admin Watercooler What is a fact?
Wikia's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Note: This topic has been unedited for 595 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

Hi everybody. I contribute to the WOT wiki on a regular basis and I love doing so. I am disputing a point in an entry. The point is that "someone planned this." Looking at the books, its obvious that they probably did, (note the conditional) but there is no one saying so, no scrap of paper mentioning it, no confessional, no nothing supporting this. It's just probably what happened from how things look. I am trying to make a point that it's not a fact; it's speculation. And, it's okay to go ahead and put it in the wiki as speculation--that is the most accurate portrayal of events.

Additionally, in this event a person is described as having participated. Her name is not mentioned anywhere as having participated, no one admits it to anyone else, no one identifies her during the event. The only reason she is included is because she has a certain characteristic that would make her ideal for the part. I will happily admit that she probably did participate, but once again, there's that qualifier.

Now, I am not asking this forum to step in and mediate. I am sure that, with patience and sensitivity, we'll work it out. What I am asking is for someone to tell me if an official policy exists on what should be called fact and what should be treated with less, ah, respect, for want of a better word. Professional encyclopedias never label speculation as fact, and I hope we recognize the wisdom of that policy. Do we? Or is it something no one has addressed? If this is already addressed somewhere, then please point me to the location and I will take a good hard look. I think I am addressing the Admin forum, where this is a natural question. If I am not, or if there is a better forum to ask this question, please let me know that, too. Pedantic 23:34, May 31, 2012 (UTC)

There is no "official" Wikia policy. Different wiki communities have different rules about what kind of information belongs in articles or what kind of information should be considered fact. People here could give you examples of rules that exist at other wikis, but ultimately the community of the WOT wiki will have to decide what rule is best for them.
I suggest that you start a discussion with the contributors of the WOT wiki and get them to decide on a local policy about what is or is not considered speculation, that way the admins will be able to impartially enforce that rule in the future. --Gardimuer { ʈalk } 00:52, June 1, 2012 (UTC)
Thanks, Gardimuer. After considerable self-reflection I am a little embarrassed that I even brought the topic to this forum. I will return to WOT and start that discussion. Perhaps we can come to a meeting of the minds. Take care.Pedantic 17:32, June 11, 2012 (UTC)
There's no need to be embarrassed. :) I've been in a situation similar to yours in the past when I needed some perspective from the admins of other wikis. I hope your discussion goes well. --Gardimuer { ʈalk } 18:28, June 11, 2012 (UTC)

Around Wikia's network

Random Wiki