Wikia

Community Central

Create blog post

Admin Topics

Blog posts

Revision as of 21:48, June 30, 2011 by Dopp (wall | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
    Brandon Rhea

Did you know that the majority of Wikia's views come from readers, meaning people who don't click the edit button or even have a Wikia account? Clicking that edit button for the first time can be daunting—your contribution will immediately be available to the entire world—but there are ways that we all can help break the barrier between reader and editor.

One of those ways is the recently-launched Wikia University, a quickly digestible source of how-to information for Wikia—including how to make your first contribution. Wikia is also always hard at work making sure our interface is the best it can be, by finding how people interact with Wikia and lowering barriers for entry. But there’s a great deal that local communities can do as well in …

Read more >
    WinterMagnet

Seriously. I chat banned him. Some beaucreat blocked him. He hacked,  got him self unblocked. I chat banned him and he got account creation disabled, yet still. The beaucreat told me he was reported and is gonna be globally disabled. It's been a week or so and he hasen't been yet. Any help?

Edit : He decived me and another admin and changed his name.

P.S his name is User:Squash28. Plantsvszombies.wikia.com/wiki/User:Squash28. 

Read more >
    Helixsoft

Welcome to part 2 of The Ultimate Wikia Guide. Today, we will talk about the main page of your wiki, and how to improve it and use it to your best abilities and advantages.

The main page is the page all Wikians will get directed to when they go to your Wiki. When you first start a Wiki, your main page URL will be the name of your wiki (e.g for my Wikicommons Wiki, the URL is http://wikicommons.wikia.com/wiki/Wikicommons_Wiki).

There are tons and tons of ways to spruce up your main page. The best way is described below, but whatever method floats your boat is the method you should stick with, especially when your like me and have multiple wikis.

All main pages should have some form of introduction! On my Reference 365 Wiki, I included a welcome m…

Read more >
    Helixsoft

Hello guys and gals. I have a lot of suggestions for Project Darwin and Wikia. Please leave your suggestions in the comments below. Also, don't be rude if some of these features are already included or have alternatives. I just want to make Wikia a better place (that's the way I feel about Wikimedia projects as well).

• Add a digital clock widget to the Wikia toolbar (the one with the "Start a wiki" button) (Reason: Dev Wiki has a clock gadget code)
    • Add Vector and Modern skins from Wikimedia projects (Pending: Mixed reception)
    • Customize the search box to include other wikis (Reason: Abandoned)
    • Add a sandbox page to all userspaces (Reason: An alternative was found)
    • Create templates and blog posts via the "Edit" button (Reason: Makes no sense)
    • Add some gadget…

Read more >
    Julianthewiki

External Blogs?

December 28, 2013 by Julianthewiki

Hello everyone, I just want to talk about blogs that are out of the wiki, or external blogs.

We all know that we have internal blogs, or the ones we can see in our own wikis, right? Now, when I talk about external blogs, not external links, this is so that we can invite more and more users with the same interest, like if you have a wiki regarding games, some more people that play that kind of game can join your wiki. This will increase traffic for your wikis.

When I tried this yesterday in Prime Numbers Wiki, before that I thought of that, I researched about some specific primes, and saw that there was a blog about prime numbers. And I thought, "Oh, maybe I will make the external blog for my wiki". So, I gave it a try. I also posted it in ou…

Read more >
    Tariqmudallal

I've been thinking about a conceivable new usergroup right. Just as there is a bot-global usergroup, which is essentially the "bot" group on every wiki, I think that we should consider a admin-global group. That is, it's basically an administrator, but on every wiki on Wikia.

How often do you get to use admin powers, whether due to being an administrator of a wiki or simply a "administrator"? In my experiences on Central and c:wolfenstein, the answer is "almost never". Properly used, rollback is only really important when a massive spam/vandalism attack occurs.

It's not that these attacks don't occur, it's just that when I do find them, it's usually happening on random wikis I've stumbled across... ones in which I don't have any rights. I usuall…

Read more >
    Julianthewiki

Tips from Julianthewiki

November 16, 2013 by Julianthewiki

Hello everyone, here are just some tips on boosting up your wiki:

• Add category tracks on achievements. Well, you can only earn a limited amount of badges when you only leave out your achievements. Why not create another category track? That way, all your contributors will get to see their progress.
    • On a new wiki, atempt to make around 5 pages per day. You need some responsibility for this. 5 pages may be too much, but try to attempt for this number until such time there is already a contributor, just manipulate your limits.
    • That's all for now. More tips soon!
    Read more >
    2Actimv

In this part of the help blog you can find all information to make an own template for showing blog posts.

Below the basic code of showing blog posts. With this example you show the three most recent blog posts with a summarylength of 300.

If you want to change the height you only have to change the number of it. It's also possible to make a scroll function for the length of the scroll function.

If you have questions about chat and forum boxes or want help with something please go to my message wall to ask me about it. You can also ask an admin on this wiki, go to the forum or ask in the chat.

2Actimv's Help Blog
    ≤ Previous No Next One ≥ Read more >
    CalzoneManiac

Plagiarism Wiki

October 12, 2013 by CalzoneManiac

Hello. I would like to report w:c:spongebob-fanon-archives for deletion. Reason? It has plagiarized the user pages of dozens of users, myself included, including data originating from before the wiki was even created! Hell, a lot of users who've never even touched the wiki have user pages edited without their permission and their edit history claims they've existed before the wiki was created. Please remove this wiki immediately.

Read more >
    2Actimv

Tabber and tabview are great ways to show some information in a small space. You can also use it for show some categories or featured articles.

This code is for tabber:

With this code you can change the font weight, background color, font color, border radius and padding.

If you have questions about tabber and tabview or want help with something please go to my message wall to ask me about it. You can also ask an admin on this wiki, go to the forum or ask in the chat.

2Actimv's Help Blog
    ≤ Previous Next ≥ Read more >
Advertisement | Your ad here

Around Wikia's network

Random Wiki