November 23, 2009 by Ashertz
    Do not you believe that the front page of wikia

should change?
    PS: This cover

Read more >
  • Reisag

Tom Marvolo Riddle

November 20, 2009 by Reisag

Tom Marvolo Riddle(En las ediciones Latinoamericans de los libros aparece como Tom Sorvolo Ryddle , para que sus letras den "Yo Soy Lord Voldemort" durante los sucesos de la Cámara Secreta) (31 de diciembre, 1926 - 2 de mayo, 1998), más conocido como Lord Voldemort, fue el más poderoso mago oscuro en la historia del mundo mágico. Hijo de Tom Ryddle, un rico muggle que abandonó su esposa cuando descubrió que era una bruja, y Mérope Gaunt, un sangre pura descendiente de Salazar Slytherin, que murió poco después del parto. Nacido y criado en un triste orfanato de Londres, y educado en la Escuela Hogwarts de Magia y Hechizería, Tom era un alumno excepcional, siendo tanto prefecto como delegado. Pocos funcionarios llegaron a tener sospechas de …

Read more >
  • Sannse

A new volunteer group on Wikia

November 17, 2009 by Sannse

This week we are starting a new volunteer program at Wikia. The Spam Task Force will be a group of users with access to tools to help them find and clean up spam across Wikia. They will be able to delete pages, block spammers, and to limit commonly used spam titles. However, they won't be admins - local issues will still be the responsibility of local admins. The Task Force will only get involved when there is spam or vandalism to help clear up, and will not be involved in user disputes or any of the many other admin tasks.

The first volunteer will be Eulalia, who will then be able to help those who already track down spam problems. If all goes well, more volunteers will be added in the new year.

Because this is a pilot project, we aren…

Read more >
  • Poidini

Feelin greyed out

November 16, 2009 by Poidini

As I attempt to edit this cyberspherical information page, I notice the save button is greyed out. Yet the button here is not. This is totally not cool. I was so motivated. Why must these techy things always get in the way. Damn ye programman. You know I'll get you.

Read more >
  • Najevi

From time to time I see an experienced wikian write that your personal monaco.css () will only affect a site's skin if the Monaco Custom skin has been selected by the site's admin.

• This is fiction.

Regardless of whether a site's admin has specified:

1. Default
    2. Monaco Custom
    3. Monaco Slate
    4. ... or any of the other preset Monaco skins

a user's personal monaco.css will layer on top of (i.e. take precedence over) any Monaco skin style at that wiki.

This has been verified using both non-sysop and sysop user accounts at a pristine test wiki.

Read more >
  • Najevi
    Check box vs radio button poll option
    There are some poll questions that warrant allowing a single to user to select multiple options from the choices provided. Does anybody know how feasible this option might be to implement as a parameter within the poll tags?
    Read more >
  • Toonslife

lately toons have totally lost originality. Now im not saying all toons have lost originality, but lots have. what do you think?

Read more >
  • Crucially

Iowa datacenter test

November 10, 2009 by Crucially

Update: The second part of this test will be tonight (Monday 23 November) at 11pm EST. This involves physically disconnecting the main datacenter, so there will be a short time of unavailability for some users until the Iowa datacenter takes over. Once Iowa is serving all pages the site will be read-only until the test is over. Thanks for your patience with this essential testing!

Our Iowa datacenter is nearing completion for automatic failover. To test this ahead of time we are going to do a controlled failover to Iowa at 11:55 PM PST on Wednesday. Since Iowa is a backup, it is configured as read-only, meaning you will not be able to edit anything. All pages should however render correctly.

What we are going to do is, in a controlled en…

Read more >
  • Najevi

As you know the default namespaces selected for the Special:Search page can be customized at your personal Preferences#Search tab and then manually changed via the Advanced search area once you are at any Special:Search page.

The drawback is that the manual changing this selection involves individually clicking potentially dozens of check boxes.

• At one wiki I see only 20 check boxes due to that wiki having the Blog feature disabled. (Main, User, Project, File, MediaWiki, Template, Help, Category, Forum, Video) I suspect this might be the fewest possible namespaces.
    • Here at central.wikia.com I see 26 check boxes due to the custom namespace "Hub" and then "User blog" and "Blog".
    • At a Semantic MediaWiki enabled community I see 36 check boxes - due to that wiki …
    Read more >
  • Sarah Manley

The first version of a mobile phone skin for Wikia will be released on Wednesday. When browsing Wikia on your iPhone, Blackberry or other mobile device, you will automatically view it in a new, mobile-specific skin. Mobile viewers will no longer be served the usual Monaco skin, but instead one based on MediaWiki's Chick skin.

The new skin was created to provide a cleaner and more simple interface for mobile users to read Wikia. We hope this will help in reading on-the-go while you are commuting, visiting a museum, or simply just away from your computer.

In the future, this skin will also provide an easier mobile editing experience. For now, you will go back to Monaco when editing, but this is just the start and we hope to build a whole new w…

Read more >