Last month, Sannse posted on the forum to ask what you thought the future of Central should look like. It's a subject that we've been thinking about a lot at Wikia because we don't believe the current system supports the community in the best way possible. Today, I'd like to share some plans for the future of Central.
Good morning Wikia!
Today (13th January) we are rolling out an upgrade to our rich text editor across Wikia! Here are a few of the highlights:
- It's faster! We upgraded the core engine to CKEditor v3.1 which brings many feature improvements and a faster and more reliable editing experience.
- Reworked article parsing which means fewer spacing and formatting changes in underlying wikitext.
- Its now easier to move images and videos during edit mode using built-in browser drag and drop functionality.
- Advanced code (such as templates and parser tags) is represented by a 'puzzle' icon in edit mode - hover over them to see more info.
- Added support for Chrome, Opera and Safari.
We are also extending the use of the editor to all talk pages, and have reduced…
Read more >
It's that time of year again. The lights are up, the stores are packed and there lots of sweets to indulge in! The holiday season is upon us, and our wikis are decked out in their finest holiday attire. Stop by the and copy over what you see (if you like the lights at the top, you can find them here). Another impressive wiki skin and Christmas logo can be seen on the Phineas and Ferb Wiki.
There are also wikis whose content is focused on the holidays. Stop by Christmas Specials Wiki if you are looking to read up on your favorite holiday TV program. Or, if you need a good latke recipe for your Hanukkah get-together, stop the Recipes Wiki for some pointers.
Read more >
Know of other great holiday wikis, content or skins here on Wikia? Please post them b…
One of the fun things about working at Wikia is that, whatever the topic of the conversation, I get to say "Yeah, we have a wiki on that". Seriously, every time (well, almost). It can get annoying, perhaps, but my friends have already gotten used to the phrase and my colleagues at the Polish office don't seem to even fake surprise anymore when I utter it...
So this blog is going to be on just that – reminding myself and you that we have a wiki on just about every topic imaginable. And then some.
I've been meaning to start this for some time now, but had to wait for inspiration until tonight, whan I caught The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe on TV. Now, you must know, that I am a huge fan of The Chronicles of Narnia. Sadly, I never got to rea…Read more >
Hi, We wanted to share today’s news with you. Mikhail Gorbachev has written a Call to Action on Wikia Green, asking everyone to get involved in the wiki and in other green projects.
This is fantastic recognition for everyone on Wikia Green and for the resource they are creating. Great work all!
The press release says:
- Mikhail Gorbachev, the Founding President of Green Cross International (http://www.gci.ch/), today called on climate change activists, educators and people across the globe to make their voices heard on environmental issues by participating in Wikia Green (http://green.wikia.com/wiki/Wikia_Green), coinciding with the 15th United Nations Climate Change Conference (http://en.cop15.dk/) held in Copenhagen this week. By embracing …
We're launching a new feature on My Home today called WikiStickies.
The idea originated from a common experience we hear from readers and new editors. A reader finds a wiki, gets really excited, wants to help out --- but isn't sure where to start. WikiStickies helps to answer that question. The feature uses the familiar metaphor of a "sticky note" to point contributors toward pages that need their help!
Right now, WikiStickies shows off three kinds of pages:
- Articles that don't have any pictures
- Brand new articles, which often need to be expanded
- Article titles that are linked to, but don't exist yet
You can browse through a selection of questions right on the My Home page, by peeling up a sticky note to see the next one. If the WikiStickies on M…Read more >
Today we will start rolling out the upgrades to the rich text editor. The following wikis will get the new editor today: Twilight, Fallout, Borderlands, Muppet and all new English wikis created from today. We plan for the rest of the site to get the editor in early January.
Here are a few of the highlights:
- Much faster loading of the edit window.
- Images and videos will now use much more reliable built-in browser drag and drop functionality.
- Reworked article parsing which results in fewer spacing and formatting changes in underlying wikitext.
- Advanced code (e.g. templates and parser tags) will be represented by a puzzle icon in edit mode - hover over them for more info.
We are excited to release this editor and are looking forward to hearing your…
Read more >
My name is Shahid, and I'm a product manager at Wikia - among other things, I work with the team here on Wikianswers.
Wikianswers is a question and answer wiki, where anyone can answer a question and get an answer, wikified. So instead of crawling through a list of opinions, you get one answer - the best combination of contributions from the community. It's also one of our most active wikis, with 1,385 active users per month.
We're delighted that we've reached a milestone: 100,000 answers! Congrats to the community for being amazing :)
We've also recently redesigned the front page so you can clearly see new questions - they're coming in right now, and they're coming fast, with a new question every few minutes! If you have any kno…
Read more >
Hi, we have to reboot a router in our San Jose datacenter. We have redundant network connections but we haven't tested failover properly yet. We are rerouting the traffic to Iowa during the interruption, Iowa will continue to send traffic to San Jose unless something happens. If the worst happens the site will go read-only automatically during the reboot time.
--- UPDATE ---
All clear! Restart went well.Read more >
Hi everyone! With the Fall season about to wrap-up, it's time for another update!
In October, a record 54,000 editors made a record 1.6 million edits to a record 3.1 million content articles! Do you sense a record breaking theme?! More than 26 million people visited Wikia, making it the 75th most popular website in the United States. Furthermore, Wikianswers skyrocketed from 50,000 questions in the last update to over 400,000 questions today. Wikianswers is now one of the five most-visited sites on Wikia. Have you seen it?
To make sure you know what's going on at Wikia, we created the Wikia Staff Blog and invited staff members from various positions to post updates. More to come, so be sure to check back on a regular basis. While we are work…Read more >