This Wednesday, we are tentatively planning to release a new search for Wikia called Lucene Search. This is the search engine that Wikipedia has been using for quite some time, and provides a number of significant advantages:
- Short words are properly indexed (the old search ignored words with fewer than 4 letters).
- Numbers are indexed.
- "Common words" are indexed (words such as "from", "with", and "what" were previously ignored).
- Search is no longer case sensitive.
- Relevance should be dramatically improved--results are ranked by how the search terms are used within the page, number of incoming links to the page, and a number of other factors to provide the best possible results.
- Results display the rendered text of the pages rather …
Today we are improving three aspects of Wikia: blog articles, emails and article sharing.
- Blog comments and the watchlist
- The main change for blog articles is to improve the connection
between the watchlist and blog comments.
- If you have "Add pages I edit to my watchlist" switched on, commenting will add the blog post to your watchlist.
- If you have "Add pages I create to my watchlist" set on, creating a new blog post will add it to your watchlist.
- This all leads up to: if you have a blog post watched, and you have watchlist emails on, new comments will send you an email! Find out immediately when people are discussing your post :)
- We have also condensed all blog comments into a single group on the enhanced recent changes list.
- HTML e…
- Track how many times you have seen a given ad: Many advertisers specify that they only want you to see a given ad one or two times per 24 hours. Sometimes Wikia sets similar restrictions to improve user experience as well.
- Provide better-targeted ads: Some advertisers collect anonymous data to provide you with ads that might be more relevant to your interests. For example, I recently did a search on Google for "toshiba battery", and now I'm seeing more Google ads on Wikia for toshiba.com.
Neither Wikia nor any of it…Read more >
We're launching a new feature on Wednesday -- My Home, a home base that helps contributors see what's happening on their wiki. My Home gives new contributors a way to get to know the community on the wiki, and it gives experienced contributors some new information that they haven't had access to before.
My Home includes a lot of new elements:
- Activity feed is a friendly version of Recent changes that shows the latest activity on the wiki. The Activity feed adds some new information that you can't get on Recent changes, including thumbnails for new pictures and videos added to a page. You can also see your Watchlist using the new Activity feed layout.
- Hot Spots is a new way to see what's happening on the wiki, showing the articles that have been…
i made a blog. :)Read more >
Thought this video I found from Buenos Aires would be funny. Are there any Wikians over there? :P Barista Girl talk 21:56, 26 August 2009 (UTC) thumb|300px|right|Only Wikimania. ;)@Read more >
I just wanted to drop a quick note to let you know that we will be upgrading most of Wikia to MediaWiki 1.15.1 on Wednesday morning. Most users shouldn't see any significant changes with this upgrade, as most of the changes are bug-fixes or tweaks to existing features. You can view a full list of all of the changes here.
On Wednesday, August 26th, we plan to roll out MediaWiki 1.15.1 to every wiki on Wikia except for the following wikis, which will instead be upgraded to the new version on Monday, August 31st:
Hi everyone! We're now more than half-way through summer, so I want to give you an update on everything Wikia has been working on lately and what we have coming up over the next few months. You can check out our last update here.
In July, Wikia had over 19,000 active editors, 1.3 million total edits and has accumulated a total of 2.6 million content article pages in 180 languages. Wikianswers has also seen tremendous growth, with over 50,000 answered questions on everything from Fallout 3 to health. This growth, combined with recent ad experiments, has brought us closer to being a sustainable business (where ad revenues exceed the cost of operating 40,000+ wikis), and we hope to continue to close the gap the rest of the year.
For the pa…
Read more >
hello, my name is lungman4 and i also have contact of the jagex councilRead more >
Just made a slight change to my profile--Robert Treat 23:53, 12 August 2009 (UTC).Read more >