Wikia

Community Central

Create blog post

Wikia Staff Blog

Blog posts

Revision as of 18:51, August 11, 2011 by OwenDavis (wall | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
    Ducksoup

Hello, Wikians!

April 15, 2014 by Ducksoup

Hi Wikia community!

I'm Andrew. I just joined Community Support as your new Technical Community Manager.

My last role was at Pearl.com, also located here in San Francisco. I started in community but my role eventually evolved into being a QA Engineer. I truly missed working with the community after a couple years on the back end, though, so I came back to my roots.

In my off time, my favorite thing to do is bike the hills of San Francisco in pursuit of cheap, delicious food. I'm also a sports junkie (GO DODGERS!), a Memory Alpha consumer, and the world's number one consumer of Sierra Nevada Summerfest.

I have "technical" in my title because I'll be the one communicating with you about under-the-hood changes we make. I've gotten a little peek i…

Read more >
    Cooksey.michael

Hey everybody! Michael here, checking in from Wikia's Community Development team with another edition of my new Featured Wikias program!

The Featured Wikias program was designed to introduce you, the Community, to members whom you may not have met before, as well as wikias you may not have seen before or visited. Today's community member, AwesomeOrange89, is a great example of the type of user this program was designed for - someone who is active on many different wikias, and who clearly loves community collaboration! AwesomeOrange89 has curated a list of his favorite wikias for you, and I hope you enjoy reading all about them, below!

Hello fellow wikians! Today, I get the privilege to blog in the “Featured Wikias” blog. Well let’s get start…

Read more >
    Cooksey.michael

Hi there, everyone! Hope this finds you well today, wherever you may be in the world. It's Tuesday evening here in San Francisco, but maybe it's already Wednesday morning in your part of the world? I say that, because sometimes it's easy to forget just how international the Wikia community is, with community members in practically every time zone in the world, and from all corners of the earth! I absolutely adore "meeting" community members from different places, and learning about what they love on Wikia, because it's such a great way to learn about new communities. So today, it's a special treat to be able to introduce you to Miyanlove, from Malaysia! 

Miyanlove is an Admin in the Natsume Yuujinchou community, and is on her way to becomin…

Read more >
    Sannse

A few weeks ago I talked about why staff don't remove bad admins. But that's only half the story. Bad admins still sometimes need to be removed, and that's what we will look at next.

Young wikias tend to be run almost completely by the Founder. They set up the wikia, make the decisions of its content and scope, and choose who else should have admin and bureaucrat rights. At this stage, it's generally best for unhappy people to vote with their feet. If they don't like how the wikia is being run, then it's a good time for them to move on and find or start a better one! It's a form of survival of the fittest, or in this case, survival of the best managed wikia.

More mature wikias tend to be run by admins selected by the community and will often h…

Read more >
    Cooksey.michael

Happy Monday, Wikians! Michael here, checking in with another edition of the Admin Showcase -- this time, featuring two very special admins from The Marvel Database , Jamie and Peteparker!

We recently had the good fortune of hosting Jamie and Nathan (who goes by Peteparker in the Wikia community) in our San Francisco office for a couple of days. In addition to learning a lot from these two community superheroes, I think it's safe to say we also now have two new best friends after getting to spend some time with them. It's clear that Jamie and Nathan love being a part of the Wikia family and that they believe in the power of community collaboration. Just take a look at their stats for evidence of that amazing collaboration in action: 122,000…

Read more >
    Mhadick

Want to learn more about Metroidvanias? All of our experts provided a number of links to help you dip your toes into their world. They also recommend you reach out to them via their message wall, wiki chat, or talk page if you have any questions. Here's the syllabus:

• http://metroid.wikia.com
    • http://castlevania.wikia.com
    • http://cavestory.wikia.com
    • http://guacamelee.wikia.com
    • http://shadowcomplex.wikia.com

Got any questions about Metroidvanias or a favorite Metroidvania to recommend? Leave a comment below!

Read more >
    Asnow89

This year we are taken a turn from egg-white cocktails, fresh herbs in drinks, and fruity syrups to a whole new world of cocktail trends. From umami cocktails to beer ice cream popsicles, we have a few fun cocktail trends in store for you. With the help of Wikia's resident drink experts, we present the next "it" cocktails of 2014.

We're not talking Long Islands here. We are exploring the new world of tea mixology. Keep your eye out for "tea-tails" because they are the next big thing on the drink scene.

The Lemon Tea Fizz has freshly brewed Black Darjeeling tea, ginger syrup, gin, and sparkling water. Our favorite part of this recipe is the homemade tea ice cubes (recipe included). Another fun "teatail" is the Dutch Green Tea cocktail, which …

Read more >
    Cooksey.michael

Hi everyone! Michael here with an extra special edition of Wikia's Featured Wikian program!

I know, I know, it's been a while since I last checked in, and some have been wondering if we did away with the Featured Wikian program. Don't worry -- the Featured Wikian program is here to stay. I'd like to make up for my brief absence from the staff blog by showcasing one of our most dedicated admins in the Wikia Community: Tocinoman!

So, why is today's Featured Wikian entry so special? Well, Tocinoman agreed to introduce himself to the Wikia Family by video! 

Nukapedia Admin and future astronaut -- listen to Nick talk about his path to Wikia, his tips for newbies, and his plans for the future. Enjoy!

Read more >
    Brandon Rhea

Did you know that the majority of Wikia's views come from readers, meaning people who don't click the edit button or even have a Wikia account? Clicking that edit button for the first time can be daunting—your contribution will immediately be available to the entire world—but there are ways that we all can help break the barrier between reader and editor.

One of those ways is the recently-launched Wikia University, a quickly digestible source of how-to information for Wikia—including how to make your first contribution. Wikia is also always hard at work making sure our interface is the best it can be, by finding how people interact with Wikia and lowering barriers for entry. But there’s a great deal that local communities can do as well in …

Read more >
    Mighty No. 9

Did you know Wikia has its own official YouTube channel? That’s right, we do! And if you’re not a current subscriber, than you should sign up now! Here’s why.

Wikia’s YouTube channel offers a tremendous amount of original video series and formats designed to showcase your latest content, as well as bolster your community knowledge. Interested in all the “will they, won’t they” chatter surrounding Miss Piggy and Kermit in Muppets Most Wanted? This video produced in collaboration with the Muppet wikia sheds some light on their inter-species romance. New to Wikia or want a refresher on the many product features available for interacting with others? Watch this Tour of Wikia Features.

The breadth and range of content on the channel is quite comp…

Read more >
Advertisement | Your ad here

Around Wikia's network

Random Wiki