Wikia

Community Central

Create blog post

Wikia Staff Blog

Blog posts

Revision as of 18:51, August 11, 2011 by OwenDavis (wall | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
  • SEOkitten

Hello, Wikians!

Most active communities have a growing list of wanted pages and numerous articles that could be improved. With so much on our to do lists, how do we even begin to prioritize?

In this post I am sharing a couple of simple tools that are ideal for quick keyword research. Figuring out what searchers are searching can focus our creative efforts on the topics people are most curious about and help us gain more readers and contributors through prime placement in organic search results.

Those who hear about Search Engine Optimization for the first time often guess that it has something to do with keywords—and for good reason! Keywords are the words or phrases that a user enters into a search engine, and both search algorithms and the br…

Read more >
  • ForestFairy

How do you resolve conflict?

Time and again, we hear of clashing in the Communities. Clash of Clans comes to mind! :) Conflicts can happen everywhere in life. These strategies work not only here at Wikia, they work well in other situations, like school, work or in your private life and relationships.

Conflict is accompanied by emotions. You know what I am talking about.... You have a different opinion and before you know it, you are in an intense argument. You possibly feel anger creeping up and there are things being said that you may regret. Often, you can feel the conflict lingering on the horizon, when your opponent does not share your values, steps on boundaries, disrespects the rules and so on.

• You feel like you are being treated unfair…

Read more >
  • Ducksoup

Hey y'all! A few weeks ago, I talked with you about how Wikia makes product decisions in order to evolve, to maintain a modern platform, and to keep up with industry standards and consumer expectations. (You can see my blog about that here.) Today, we're taking another big step in the evolution of Wikia. Specifically, we're talking about the future of Infoboxes on Wikia. This may seem like a small part of the platform, but, as I'll explain here, Infoboxes are an important part of Wikia and we've made some important changes to how they’re created.

Infoboxes are everywhere on Wikia; they’re a key part of our traffic. Pages that include at least one infobox comprise about 60% of traffic in every individual community. And that’s for good reason…

Read more >
  • Cooksey.michael

Hey, everyone! Michael here, from Wikia’s Community Development team, checking in with some fabulous news: In September, we will be kicking off Wikia’s first-ever Community Connect event here in our San Francisco offices!

What is Community Connect?

Community Connect is an invite-only gathering for admins of both new and established wikias to meet and connect with one another, as well as Wikia staff from our Community, Product and Marketing teams. The goal of the event is to facilitate a direct, in-person dialogue with a mix of contributors to get a better understanding of what is important to them, and to share insights to our product roadmap for the development of the Wikia platform.

During the 3 day event, admins will have the opportunity t…

Read more >
  • SEOkitten

Intro to SEO

August 10, 2015 by SEOkitten

Hello, Wikians!

My name is Angelina, and I recently joined Wikia to help out on SEO, or Search Engine Optimization. That sounds impressive, I’m sure, but what does that mean?

SEO is a multi-discipline field that aims to bring greater visibility and traffic to each of our communities through prime placement on search engine results pages. Our team monitors traffic and rankings, devises tests and impact projects, and makes recommendations across a wide range of topics—from the words linked on each page to the names of our image files to mobile-friendliness of pages.

Some days are spent helping the Product and Engineering teams on new or improved features, and others are spent updating help pages or creating documentation for the Community Team. …

Read more >
  • ThePK

Have you ever seen staff members around Wikia? Have you ever wondered: What are they doing here? Why are they editing that? Do they even lift, bro? If you answered yes to any of those questions- this blog is for you!

Today, I’ll be introducing some of the best Wikia staff members, the Community Development team!

“We're the people in the field. We are there to help users create new Wikias, help existing Wikias, and to help guide admins and other users.” -Asnow89

The Community Development (ComDev) team members really are the people in the field. You can find them doing all sorts of things across Wikia sites, helping all sorts of people. Often, on Wikia, they are found spiffing and designing wikia sites, writing blog posts about press releases, ho…

Read more >
  • BertH

The logged-in user experience offers a number of benefits on Wikia. Registered accounts have features like Notifications, Chat, and the ability to follow articles and discussions, just to name a few. In the coming months we’ll be working to highlight these benefits more and see what we can do to drive more readers and anonymous editors to create accounts. With more motivations and prompts to return to a community, a user with an account is much more likely to become an active contributor and discussion participant.

Starting Thursday July 23rd, administrators on most communities now have the option to prompt visitors to create accounts by disabling anonymous editing. This can be accomplished via a new switch in WikiFeatures.

Anonymous editing…

Read more >
  • ForestFairy

Hello Wikians,

From time to time we repeat the topics of our blogs, for the benefit of new users and as a reminder for our old experts, that have been editing on Wikia for a long time. I talk to a lot of Wikians and sometimes ask them for advice, primarily to understand how their communities work. If you look at a community from the outside, it can look quite chaotic! It reminds me of an ant-hill — lots of busy ants — and only if you look from a distance, you can see the structure. Everybody is working towards the same goal, or at least tries to. How does this all come together? You have guessed correctly: With the help of our awesome admin force!

Instead of just writing a blog and giving you my thoughts, I collected the thoughts of several …

Read more >
  • ThePK

Hey Everyone, I’m Tucker! I am working at Wikia this summer as part of the Community Development team in San Francisco. San Francisco is Wikia’s home base and I wanted to give everyone a little peek inside the Wikia offices.

In January of this Year, the Wikia offices moved just up the street to a new home in the SoMa neighborhood of San Francisco. The new offices retain a lot of the same character, but are serving the growing company better than before. For many users, their impressions of the Wikia offices come from earlier pictures or Michael Cooksey’s admin visit series. When I first saw the offices, they were certainly not what I expected, so today, I’m here to take you on a tour of the new Wikia offices.

The Lobby

This is the first view…

Read more >
  • Acardwell415

UPDATE: Thank you to everyone who nominated foods! Voting is now live!!

There were some overwhelmingly popular nominations, and we were super pleased to see a lot of newcomers to the bracket. Go vote for your favorites now!

This year, you can also nominate foods in separate brackets being run in multiple languages:

• German
    • Spanish
    • French
    • Portuguese
    • Russian
    • Chinese

These brackets will include nominees from our international communities in those languages, so the foods will be different in these polls. Enjoy!

It's that time again—time for the 3rd Annual Battle of the Fantasy Foods!

For the last two years, we've run this bracket tournament so superfans like you can choose the greatest fantasy food fandom in all the land. And each year, dozens of amazing …

Read more >

Around Wikia's network

Random Wiki