|For non-English spotlights, please visit: International Spotlights.|
Wikia Spotlights are images that appear on each Wikia page that link to other Wikia sites. The spotlights are created by Wikia staff and run for a few weeks.
Although most of the spotlighted wikias are chosen by Wikia staff, Wikia users can also request a spotlight for any wikia by adding a request to the talk page. If you are not an administrator for the wikia but you wish to spotlight, please discuss it with the local administrators first and provide a link to the conversation as part of your request. They will be responsible for handling any influx of new contributors and need to be ready and willing to do so.
When you request a spotlight, your wikia should follow these best practices:
- The requester should be either an active admin or link to a discussion with an active admin of the wikia who agrees to the spotlight.
- The wikia should have at least 200 content pages, not counting stubs. Stub, or very short articles (less than about 300 bytes; listed at Special:Shortpages) and articles marked with a stub template should make up no more than a fifth of all pages.
- The main page should have at least one picture and clear links to the most important content.
- The curated main page for mobile visitors should be filled out.
- There should be a clear category structure to help readers navigate around the site. Every content page should be in a category (Special:UncategorizedPages should be empty).
- The community should not be in the middle of choosing new admins or any other upheavals; it should be a stable, friendly place.
- The wikia should be using the Wikia welcome tool, signed by admins -- (MediaWiki:Welcome-user should say @latest, @sysop or the name of an admin.)
- The message in the Community Center on Recent Wiki Activity should be customized. (MediaWiki:Community-corner)
- The wikia should have a customized skin.
- The wikia should not use offensive language or include inappropriate images.
Wikia staff will make all final decisions on spotlights and art, caption, and placement will be at their discretion.
Promoting your wikiaEdit
If a wikia that you work on hasn't been spotlighted yet, don't despair! There are lots of ways to promote the community and attract new contributors. You can start by writing a blog about your community! Then check out "Attracting Contributors" on Wikia Help for tips on how to bring more attention to the project.