|For non-English spotlights, please visit: International Spotlights|
Wikia Spotlights are images that appear on each Wikia page that link to other Wikia sites. The spotlights are created by Wikia staff, and run for a couple of weeks.
Although most of the spotlighted wikis are chosen by Wikia staff, Wikia users can also request a spotlight for a wiki by adding a suggestion to the talk page. If you are not an administrator for the site you suggest, please discuss it with the administrators first. They will be responsible for handling any influx of new contributors and need to be ready and willing to do so.
When you request a spotlight, your wiki should follow these best practices:
- The requester should be either an active admin, or link to a discussion with an active admin of the wiki and agreeing to the spotlight.
- The wiki should have at least 200 content pages, not counting stubs. Very short articles (less than about 300 bytes; listed at Special:Shortpages) and articles marked with a stub template should make up no more than 1/5th of all pages on the wiki.
- The main page of the wiki should have at least one picture, and clear links to the most important content. It should not be sysop-protected from editing unless there is a strong history of vandalism.
- The wiki should have a clear category structure to help readers navigate around the site. Every content page should be in a category (Special:UncategorizedPages should be empty).
- The wiki should not be in the middle of choosing new admins, or any other upheavals; it should be a stable, friendly place.
- The wiki should be using the Wikia welcome tool, signed by admins -- (MediaWiki:Welcome-user should say @latest, @sysop or the name of an admin.)
- The wiki should have a custom message in the Community Center on Recent Wiki Activity. (MediaWiki:Community-corner)
- The wiki should have a customized skin.
- The wiki should not use offensive language or include inappropriate images.
Wikia staff will make all final decisions on spotlights and placement will be at their discretion.
Promoting your wiki
If a wiki that you work on hasn't been spotlighted yet, don't despair! There are lots of ways to promote the wiki and attract new contributors. Check out "Raising your wiki's Google ranking" on Wikia Help for tips on how to bring more attention to the wiki. You can also post your wiki here, which is a great place to ask other contributors to help out on your wiki.