This Forum has been archivedVisit the new Forums
have you now sold out completely? I just visited a random wiki and was greeted by not one, not two, but three (3!) video ads, with sound, playing at the same time. On other pages, there are hovering, floating, popping-up ads for online poker that hide much of the already tiny content area you left us.
Is this something we have to live with from now on, or is this going to change for the better? If not, I guess this is finally the beginning of the end... --188.8.131.52 13:52, May 11, 2012 (UTC)
- No doubt their intention is to encourage account creation, but on the flip-side, it also may make you want to leave. Once logged on, most of the ads disappear (except from those pointing to other wikis), but the "tiny content area" is still just as "tiny". For this, you could hunt around and find someone who's created CSS/JS to increase the content area. . 14:58, May 11, 2012 (UTC)
For something that is a mistake, it sure does happen a lot. It just happened again, with one ad in the right sidebar (Coke Zero) and two ads near the footer (DPA and Sport1 "news videos") all auto-starting with different delays while playing sound. -- 184.108.40.206 09:32, June 8, 2012 (UTC)
I have to agree with the title of the post. I just visited a wiki, and the mainpage is a travesty! In the main page I counted 7 ads! Two on the top banner, one inside the right column, one that pops up on the bottom left, and three on the bottom of the page. Hell, it's like visiting a porn site. Yet, Even them , have less ads on a single page. Seriously, I understand that you make money out of them, but come on! There are disproportionally too many of them in an already LIMITED content area. Especially the main pages look horrendous. 220.127.116.11 15:17, June 8, 2012 (UTC)
- I don't oppose you voicing your opinions, but I'm afraid they fall on deaf ears. I was opposed to Wikia's new skin in November 2010, and protested quite vocally against it, as did many others (hell, they even had whole major wikis walk out on them), but I soon learned that this is the possibly new business direction of Wikia, and from a customer position, there is nothing I can do about it. Please refrain from protesting against Wikia ads, because firstly, they don't listen, and secondly, the more ads means more revenue, which means more money put in to better servers or more features. It's not just going in their piggy banks, you know. —User:Kris159 (talk | legacy) 20:09, June 11, 2012 (UTC)
- Exactly what the IP contributor said. "disproportionally too many of them in an already LIMITED content area." WAY too many.
- And, Kris159, that might be true for a non-profit organisation, but like Ciencia wrote below, wikia is a "for-profit" company.--Noemon *talk* 10:50, June 16, 2012 (UTC)
- Kris159: A not-for-profit organization could have ads and they will spent all the revenue improving the server's infrastructure. That's not what happen on a for-profit company, which it's sole purpose is to earn money, not necessarily invest it in infrastructure. --Category:Ciencia Al Poder (talk) -WikiDex 20:26, June 13, 2012 (UTC)
Here: File:videoad.png - stupid video ad for stupid games, which autoplays with sound and has its controls "conveniently" hidden. Appeared today on several wikis I visited while logged out, including but not restricted to this page. -- NablaOperator 14:42, June 13, 2012 (UTC)
- Hi. We don’t want autoplay advertisements either. We agree that they’re annoying and disruptive. If you encounter one, please send it to Special:Contact. If possible, please take a screenshot of the ad or grab the ad's URL, and let us know the URL of the wiki you saw it on. With that information, we can report it to our ad manager who can see about removing it from our system. Thanks! - Brandon Rhea(talk) 20:40, June 13, 2012 (UTC)