Wikia

Community Central

AR:Adoption request for Elder Scrolls Answers Wiki

93,587pages on
this wiki

Forum page

This Forum has been archived

Visit the new Forums
Forums: Index Adoption requests AR:Adoption request for Elder Scrolls Answers Wiki

What is your username?

Mitranim

Please link to the wiki here:

w:c:elderscrolls.answers:Main_Page

How many edits have you made on that wiki?

One or two. The wiki itself has about 8 pages in existence. It has been deserted since creation in 2010.

How many days/months have you been editing there?

Not yet applicable.

On the Special Pages -> Special:ListUsers when was the last time an admin edited, and who was it?

December 2 2012, Valenes.

Any other information:

I do realize I don't fully fit the guidelines for adoption. Some of them are not applicable to this wiki, as there is yet no community to participate in or talk to.

This answers wiki has been created independently by a user. It doesn't have a corresponding Recent Questions widget on the main ES wiki. As the result, there have been practically zero visitors all through the 21 months of its existence. The founder promptly abandoned the wiki without even doing the customizing work.

I've got plenty of experience with maintaining an answers site and building the community. I'd like to get ESA up and running, but for that, I need Wikia's help. Practically the only source of visitors for an answers wiki in long term is its main wiki. People discover it through the "Recent Questions" widget on the main site. ESA doesn't have one, and that's precisely the reason it was abandoned for so long (otherwise there would have been non-zero amount of activity). In order to run, it does need a corresponding widget, otherwise it's vain job to work on its customization. I've filed a request about it, but been told I need to adopt the wiki first. Here I am.

I would like to repeat another point from my request: that the wiki needs its name changed. It's just embarrassing when {{SITENAME}} variable returns "ES Answers Answers". I hope for help with this one.

Thanks in advance!

Mitranim 05:38, August 19, 2012 (UTC)

Hi. In order to adopt a wiki, you need to be contributing there. The sitename issue has been straightened out; the widget would need to be a request through Special:Contact after you have finished adopting it. Please go ahead and start editing the wiki -- make up plausible questions and answers if there are none already there. We'll check back in a week or so. -- Wendy (talk)@Wikia 04:55, August 27, 2012 (UTC)
Thanks for the answer, but I hope you realize that would be just me talking to myself. The site is deserted. If you wish to evaluate my ability to contribute, please just check Mass Effect Answers. If this is just a formality, I hope it can be eschewed in the case of a literally empty wiki. Mitranim 07:15, August 27, 2012 (UTC)
Addendum. What I'm trying to convey is that adopting an empty wiki is no different from creating a new one (this wiki was created by a user in the first place). I just wish to preserve the name and avoid redundancy. My intention is first to customize it, then talk to ESW admins about collaboration. Mitranim
The point of requesting that you make some edits is not to show you can edit the wiki, but to show that you have an interest in building and working on the wiki. Which is why we need you to edit on the wiki in question. If you are still interested in adopting Elder Scrolls Answers, please start making questions there that people might be likely to ask and we will check back one more time. -- Wendy (talk)@Wikia 01:20, September 23, 2012 (UTC)
Hello again. I apologize in advance for my continued refusal, and I don't wish to be taken negatively, but I don't see how making up fake questions that nobody except you and me is going to see (and talking to myself answering them) is beneficial for the site or representative of my ability to administrate the site in the future. On a normal wiki, it would make sense to start working on the articles. On an answers wiki, it doesn't make much sense. It is alive only so far as contributors are interested in asking questions. And to get people interested, the site needs: A) appropriate looks; B) promotion on the side of Elder Scrolls Wiki administartion, which, again, requires ESA to look appropriately. This is required before I can even start trying to bring people in. In this case, platform must come before content. That's why I'm asking you to grant the rights. Mitranim
I was asking you to make up questions people might be likely to have about Elder Scrolls. The things you might put into an FAQ on Elder Scrolls, or whatever people on the main wiki ask about or might want to ask. Answers wikis are supposed to be a resource of answers to common questions, not just a place to ask new ones. If you just object to answering your own questions, get somebody else from the main wiki to ask them or answer them. While you are doing that you could also set up a better mainpage.
I am closing this request, because I cannot grant you the rights if you have never edited the wiki. If you decide you do wish to revive the project, work on the wiki for a week and then ask again. -- Wendy (talk)@Wikia 02:18, October 7, 2012 (UTC)

Around Wikia's network

Random Wiki