Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This Forum has been archivedVisit the new Forums
Is anyone interested in working together to try to find out what's most important to attracting contributors? Maurreen 18:29, 6 December 2006 (UTC)
- Thanks, but that is a number of ideas, and I am curious about what ideas are most effective. I'm also curious about the whether my time is better spent on promotion or content, and making the content deeper or wider, if there are any thresholds, etc. Maurreen 07:07, 8 December 2006 (UTC)
- I'd say you'd better make a good content core before advertising. That way you'll actually have what to attract people to. Deeper or wider... hard to tell... what kind of wiki are we talking about?--Rataube 19:13, 9 December 2006 (UTC)
- Yes, I'm interested in working together to find out what works - suggest it's also a question of what sustains people's interest in contributing. The wiki I founded (over 2 years ago) has 50 signed in users. These get described as active, but of course this doesn't necessarily mean recently or regularly so. Is there a way of finding out how many unsigned in users since the start of a Wikia? Philralph 16:00, 10 December 2006 (UTC)
Thanks. The only way I know of to find out about unsigned-in users is the long way, via Recent Changes or the history pages. Maurreen 19:46, 10 December 2006 (UTC)
- It looks like you have one of the more-successful Wikias that is not about a technical or entertainment topic. According to this page on contributors, some of the Wikias that have attracted the most contributors are SCA21, Psychology and Literature. Maurreen 23:10, 10 December 2006 (UTC)
It seems to be doing good. If you are alredy getting visitors I'd try to think how to make them stay. I would focus on making it more visiually and socially appealing. Make a nice looking main page, build a good community portal, a visit book, a forum, etc. Maybe you should nominate it for collaboration of the month to get help for that.--Rataube 00:56, 12 December 2006 (UTC)
- Thanks, I'll try that. Maurreen 07:12, 12 December 2006 (UTC)
Wikia started before December 2004
- Articles per contributor
- The number of contributors correlates more strongly with the the number of articles than with the mean article size.
- The median ratio of articles per contributor is 43, but there is wide variation.
- Also, for these stats, "contributors" are anyone who has made at least 10 edits. Anyone who has made less is not counted. Maurreen 08:31, 11 December 2006 (UTC)
- Median number of contributors: 6
- Median number of articles: 138
Maurreen 18:56, 12 December 2006 (UTC)
- Recently active contributors
Wikia by recently active contributors (with at least 5 edits in November 2006) compared with median number of articles in the wiki:
- Zero recently active contributors, median number of articles: 101
- Any positive number of such contributors, median number of articles: 2606
- 1 or 2 such contributors, median number of articles: 390
Maurreen 18:49, 12 December 2006 (UTC)
Of the 21 Wikia with at least 100 Wikians (people who have edited at least 10 times):
- Articles per Wikian -- Range is 3 to 96. Median is 14.
- Article count (at least one internal link) -- Range is 473 to 41,769. Median is 3075.
- Number of Wikians -- Range is 103 to 4172. Median is 221.
- Maurreen 22:27, 16 December 2006 (UTC)
Thanks for collecting the stats
Thanks for collecting the stats. I suspect that the key information is what happens before a Wikia reaches 100 contributors. For a related forum conversation, seeForum:Optimal Wikia Size. --CocoaZen 04:07, 17 December 2006 (UTC)