This Forum has been archivedVisit the new Forums
I've been browsing the wiki's in the Category:Anime and manga category and noticed that a number of them are inactive. In fact the Anime wiki itself is mostly not active. The Digimon wiki is inactive and it's admins are to. The Dragonball wiki has no admins but a somewhat active set of users. All 3 of the Inuyasha wiki's admins are inactive and there are few editors. The Last Exile wiki is basicly dead. The Zatch Bell wiki never even got off the ground. And the admin of the Naruto wiki only did a little but is inactive now, but it has a decent user base.
Looking arround I also noticed that none of the anime wikis even mention each other, and it gave me an idea. I was considering a small wiki network, we have a wiki about Naruto, Inuyasha, etc... and a wiki about Anime in general. What about linking them together. That is, the Anime wiki with it's list would have a general article about all the other animes, and articles about animes with wikis about them would be linked to. In adition those wikis would link back to the Anime wiki with a link in the sidebar.
I'm not saying that we should poke a number of people into becoming the admins for the different wikis, admins should adopt a wiki by choice in a hope to improve it. But while I've never heared about Last Exile, and I've only watched a little of Zatch Bell so I wouldn't be of much help there either (Plus I don't think I could help out the Digimon wiki.) I'm sure I could be of use in the Naruto wiki, and possibly the Inuyasha wiki, and while I haven't watched Dragonball in awhile (but still remember a good bit) I think the Dragonball wiki has enough of a user base already for me to deal with that to.
I know I am not usualy up to promoting a new sysop on The Gaiapedia because there are to many people who either don't fit the profile, or aren't active enough to fit it. But this is a bit of a big project, and If I could start this to try and impove a number of the anime wikis I'm sure I'd promote a few of the active members of the individual wikis in the process.
Would anyone think of any objections, or dare I say, want to aid help?
- Sounds like a good idea, linking similar wikis into a network might help in moving people between them and getting them more active. And we can admin anyone who wants to take on specific wikis, that's no problem at all -- sannse (talk) 12:32, 30 January 2007 (UTC)
- Ok, in that case. I'd definately like to Adopt the English Naruto and Inuyasha Wikia as I feel I can do a lot to improve those two. I'll look over it sometime to see if I can do as much for Dragonball. But since the english Anime Wikia is also dead, and that would be the centerpoint of the network, I'd like to adopt that to. I'd like to start off on some of the administrative things such as removing duplicate images, fixing multiple improperly named attempts at uploading a new site logo, fixing up site layout and sidebars, and in the case of the Inuyasha wiki fixing the bad attempt at a disclaimer and fixing the Main Page to. Dantman (Talk) 19:17, 30 January 2007 (UTC)
- On the Anime wiki, I noticed the site namespace is Anime. But that's a generalized namespace that could possibly be wanted for some purpose in the future. It might be better to change the site name to Animepedia and make that the site namespace. Dantman (Talk) 00:58, 31 January 2007 (UTC)
The various userrights requested have been set; the namespace change will take technical team intervention, and I will request that tomorrow. As for the display of the characters, you probably need to update your fonts. There should be instructions for doing this in Firefox's help menu; try searching on "fonts". If not, we can walk you through it. If you need anything more, feel free to post it here, or on my talk page. Essjay (Talk) 09:50, 16 February 2007 (UTC)
- Wow, thanks, I thought I'd still be waiting. Oh, just 2 things. Since it's going to take a little technical team intervention, could you pass something on to them.
- There's a Anime series called 'Blood+' and the + is part of the name, unfortunately for some reason on the Anime wiki when I use Blood+ it dosen't turn into a proper link even though links on wikipedia work.
When I addopt a wiki I'm actualy used to getting the Bureaucrat status allong with the sysop status actualy, I had 2 uses for it this time. When I make a bot, I actualy create 2 accounts, one I have bot status set on, and the other, I personaly set as a sysop without a bot flag. The reason is that sometimes I want one of my bots to make a edit to a altered standard, or old mistake throughout a wiki, and sometimes those things are on protected pages, when the pywikipedia bot system comes accross one of those it asks me to have it login to the other account so it can change that page. The other reason this time arround, is I already have 1 or 2 possible candidates for sysops on that wiki but I don't have a solid enough sense of how they'll do or it being of use to them yet so I can't say to promote anyone now, but it would be nice for me to be able to do that on my own in the future (Also, it's true that this project spans multiple wikis, which means it will be a future requirement for me to use the powers of a bureaucrat).(Sorry about this mistake, bureaucrat was dropped down to the next line and hidden from view so it looked like I only had sysop to do my work. Sorry, and thanks.)
- Sorry for my bad habit of typing to much like this, but just to make sure I don't accadentaly make the technical team go into the code twice to change something that could have been done all at once, there are 2 sitenames that actualy need changing, I don't know which one you know about but on the Narutopedia the Sitename/Project Namespace is 'Naruto Wiki' which dosen't reflect it's actual name properly so it should become 'Narutopedia'. And the other one was on the Anime wiki, the Sitename/Project namespace is 'Anime' which is a little to generic and a interwiki link, but the real reason it needs changing is because as I wrote in the page that split off from this one, I'm building an extension for the anime network which will allow better linking to anime pages, but it will require the use of titles starting with Anime: to itself, so if the sitename/project namespace isn't changed when it's installed then the articles in the Anime/Project namespace will become inaccessable. The best Sitename I can come up with is 'Animepedia', which kinda fits in with a few of the other wiki. Again, sorry about my excessve typing, and I'll work on improving the wiki with what I have now while things are being done. Dantman (Talk) 12:18, 16 February 2007 (UTC)
- I'm submitting both issues to the tech team: the two namespace changes, and the issue with the link (which doesn't seem to work on any Wikia wiki, but does on other wikis, like Wikipedia). We'll see what they tell me. Essjay (Talk) 14:00, 20 February 2007 (UTC)
- Thanks. The problem with the + is a little worse now than before. With Blood+ there is no anime called Blood, so if the link system was fixed so that Blood+ would lead to Blood that would have been alright, but now there's a series called Rocman.EXE Beast+ but unfortunately there is also a series called Rocman.EXE Beast which is a prequil to Rocman.EXE Beast+. You can see the future issue here when we start documenting series (I've been working on back end, and expanding my list of anime I can document at the moment). Dantman (Talk) 14:08, 22 February 2007 (UTC)