Community Central

Annoying AD

91,253pages on
this wiki

Forum page

This Forum has been archived

Visit the new Forums
Forums: Index General Discussion Annoying AD
Wikia's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Note: This topic has been unedited for 825 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

There is this annoying sluppee ad that is a bright blue and takes up the entire backgound of a wichever wiki it is on. I'm not trying to start a hate war, and I understand why there are ads, but this ad is distracting and annoying. Please remove it. Adding a staff needed to this post. RainbowYoshi Random yoshi 777 RainbowYoshi
random as of 05/24/2012!!! 01:10, May 24, 2012 (UTC) and i know my signiture doesnt work here, its meant for another wiki.

Please post a link to where this ad is occurring and/or upload an image. Your description alone is not sufficient to identify exactly which ad you're talking about. 20px_Rin_Tohsaka_Avatar.png Mathmagician ƒ(♫) 01:15 UTC, Thu, 24 May 2012

Ad

theres a pic, but it does not happen on that wiki only, it happenes on a lot of wikia's wikis.RainbowYoshi Random yoshi 777 RainbowYoshi
random as of 05/24/2012!!! 01:51, May 24, 2012 (UTC)

This is a very rare ad type Wikia utilizes called a "skin takeover". This is expected behaviour. Only anonymous users will see this ad, once you log in you see the normal skin as expected. --daNASCAT @Wikia 04:53, May 24, 2012 (UTC)
It better be rare daNASCAT! If I create a background for my wiki, I expect it to stay there for anons as well as users. So six ads isn't enough? :| STARFLEETACADEMY 05:11, May 24, 2012 (UTC)

This is no longer "rare". It used to be uncommon, but recently I've tested it and on about 90% of page loads when not logged in the background is replaced by an advert. It essentially means whatever background you choose is pointless for non-logged in users. Is that expected behaviour daNASCAT? --Category:Acer4666 10:16, May 24, 2012 (UTC)

I've had the same experience as Acer466. On large wikis these ads are the norm. --Gardimuer { ʈalk } 16:20, May 24, 2012 (UTC)
Well, it seems that the unused and wasted space of the oasis skin is not as wasted as we though after all ;) --Category:Ciencia Al Poder (talk) -WikiDex 18:55, May 24, 2012 (UTC)
I understand that Wikia is a for-profit organization, but this is ridiculous. I thought I would share another extremely obtrusive ad that appeared to me while signed out: link. Never mind, that ad seems to be a rollover ad of some kind. Either I activated it on accident or it appeared by some glitch in my browser/the site.
Edit: Here's another one I stumbled across on the main page, in class="wikia-ad noprint jumbo-leaderboard". A little uncivil, no? On the Terraria Wiki, we don't allow censored profanity like that on pages or in Special:Chat, so it seems kind of odd having it displayed on the main page.
Dzylon  Talk  08:20:34  May 24, 2012
Hi Dzylon (and others), I am sorry to say that the ad with the censored profanity on it is entirely our fault - somehow our test system leaked in to production; we're currently looking in to how that happened (and will also ensure that any messages on our test ads are appropriate for all members of our community. Jen Burton@Wikia (help forum | blog) 21:54, May 24, 2012 (UTC)

Yet another example that wikia cares more about profit then content and wiki individuality.RainbowYoshi Random yoshi 777 RainbowYoshi
random as of 05/24/2012!!! 22:14, May 24, 2012 (UTC)

I'm not silly. I get why the ads are there as well of course. I mean I don't want to pay to edit and/or view Wikia. But this system really makes the background almost pointless IMO. I haven't noticed this because the ads are Geo IP ones. In other words being in Australia has spared me for now, at least. Shame, I can't S:C about this until I've seen it for myself. So Wikia, if you don't want me sending tonnes of emails, don't set this thing to display down under! :P STARFLEETACADEMY 03:19, May 25, 2012 (UTC)
To me, those adds are just wasting the main pages space, you can put something better then that there.
User:Edward_Is_Better_23

Hey, at least the ads take up otherwise unused space. Thank goodness for that. Cat: meowhunt 20:54, May 25, 2012 (UTC)

Around Wikia's network

Random Wiki