Community Central

Annoying AD

Forum page

114,845pages on
this wiki

This Forum has been archived

Visit the new Forums
Forums: Index General Discussion Annoying AD
Wikia's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Note: This topic has been unedited for 1276 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

There is this annoying sluppee ad that is a bright blue and takes up the entire backgound of a wichever wiki it is on. I'm not trying to start a hate war, and I understand why there are ads, but this ad is distracting and annoying. Please remove it. Adding a staff needed to this post. RainbowYoshi Random yoshi 777 RainbowYoshi
random as of 05/24/2012!!! 01:10, May 24, 2012 (UTC) and i know my signiture doesnt work here, its meant for another wiki.

Please post a link to where this ad is occurring and/or upload an image. Your description alone is not sufficient to identify exactly which ad you're talking about. 20px_Rin_Tohsaka_Avatar.png Mathmagician ƒ(♫) 01:15 UTC, Thu, 24 May 2012

theres a pic, but it does not happen on that wiki only, it happenes on a lot of wikia's wikis.RainbowYoshi Random yoshi 777 RainbowYoshi
random as of 05/24/2012!!! 01:51, May 24, 2012 (UTC)

This is a very rare ad type Wikia utilizes called a "skin takeover". This is expected behaviour. Only anonymous users will see this ad, once you log in you see the normal skin as expected. --daNASCAT @Wikia 04:53, May 24, 2012 (UTC)
It better be rare daNASCAT! If I create a background for my wiki, I expect it to stay there for anons as well as users. So six ads isn't enough? :| STARFLEETACADEMY 05:11, May 24, 2012 (UTC)

This is no longer "rare". It used to be uncommon, but recently I've tested it and on about 90% of page loads when not logged in the background is replaced by an advert. It essentially means whatever background you choose is pointless for non-logged in users. Is that expected behaviour daNASCAT? --Category:Acer4666 10:16, May 24, 2012 (UTC)

I've had the same experience as Acer466. On large wikis these ads are the norm. --Gardimuer { ʈalk } 16:20, May 24, 2012 (UTC)
Well, it seems that the unused and wasted space of the oasis skin is not as wasted as we though after all ;) --Category:Ciencia Al Poder (talk) -WikiDex 18:55, May 24, 2012 (UTC)
I understand that Wikia is a for-profit organization, but this is ridiculous. I thought I would share another extremely obtrusive ad that appeared to me while signed out: link. Never mind, that ad seems to be a rollover ad of some kind. Either I activated it on accident or it appeared by some glitch in my browser/the site.
Edit: Here's another one I stumbled across on the main page, in class="wikia-ad noprint jumbo-leaderboard". A little uncivil, no? On the Terraria Wiki, we don't allow censored profanity like that on pages or in Special:Chat, so it seems kind of odd having it displayed on the main page.
Dzylon  Talk  08:20:34  May 24, 2012
Hi Dzylon (and others), I am sorry to say that the ad with the censored profanity on it is entirely our fault - somehow our test system leaked in to production; we're currently looking in to how that happened (and will also ensure that any messages on our test ads are appropriate for all members of our community. Jen Burton@Wikia (help forum | blog) 21:54, May 24, 2012 (UTC)

Yet another example that wikia cares more about profit then content and wiki individuality.RainbowYoshi Random yoshi 777 RainbowYoshi
random as of 05/24/2012!!! 22:14, May 24, 2012 (UTC)

I'm not silly. I get why the ads are there as well of course. I mean I don't want to pay to edit and/or view Wikia. But this system really makes the background almost pointless IMO. I haven't noticed this because the ads are Geo IP ones. In other words being in Australia has spared me for now, at least. Shame, I can't S:C about this until I've seen it for myself. So Wikia, if you don't want me sending tonnes of emails, don't set this thing to display down under! :P STARFLEETACADEMY 03:19, May 25, 2012 (UTC)
To me, those adds are just wasting the main pages space, you can put something better then that there.

Hey, at least the ads take up otherwise unused space. Thank goodness for that. Cat: meowhunt 20:54, May 25, 2012 (UTC)

Around Wikia's network

Random Wiki