Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This Forum has been archivedVisit the new Forums
Hi guys, I'm wondering if there is any way to autopopulate pages of a category. I found the following instruction on the Help Wiki:
- One way to make sure the navigation always shows the most popular content is to use a trick to autopopulate the fields with popular pages or the most linked category pages. This will autopopulate the 7 menu items with the most popular pages.
- To do this, use # symbols around category name.
- For categories, you use #category-name#. So for example, #category-food# will result in the 7 dropdown links being automatically filled with the most popular articles in the category "food".
However, when I use this method on my wiki at: http://hunterx.wikia.com, the navigation bar only shows the pages in order of their creation, and not in order of their popularity. Here is what I wrote: #category-Characters#, #category-Locations#, and so on. Is there anything wrong with my syntax? Or is it just that this method no longer works?
Thank you for reading.
Foreva 12:40, April 12, 2012 (UTC)
- I've read Help:Wiki_navigation too and I can't tell what definition of "popular" it uses: most views? most editors?? most revisions??? most linked???
- Which would you be interested in? -- pecos 19:52, April 12, 2012 (UTC)
- I think by 'popular' the writers of that help page meant 'most viewed' articles, which are also what I want to incorporate into the Nav bar of my wiki the most. But to be honest, whether it be 'most viewed' or 'most edited', as long as I can find a way to make the Nav bar of my wiki automatically change its contents periodically, I'll be satisfied with it. Foreva 21:29, April 12, 2012 (UTC)
- Take a look at Help:QuickStats:
Please note: we're aware that at this time the "Views" column of Quick Stats isn't functioning correctly. The system we calculate views from is undergoing some unexpected maintenance. We don't yet have a firm timeline when this system will be fixed. When the issue has been resolved we'll remove the message from Quick Stats and update here. Thanks for your understanding!
- It looks like Wikia currently cannot determine how many views pages get. These are the pages from your "Nen users" category:
- Yes, it seems so. The good news is: Staff is already aware of the problem. -- pecos 06:05, April 13, 2012 (UTC)
(Reset indent) For the record, most popular actually means most populated. IE, biggest categories. Rappy 19:38, April 16, 2012 (UTC)
- He already picked the categories. Their names are hard-coded in his MediaWiki:wiki-navigation. Every level two menu represents a category. The question is by what criteria the entries for the level three menus are chosen.
- pecos 21:10, April 16, 2012 (UTC)