This Forum has been archivedVisit the new Forums
Hi guys, I'm wondering if there is any way to autopopulate pages of a category. I found the following instruction on the Help Wiki:
- One way to make sure the navigation always shows the most popular content is to use a trick to autopopulate the fields with popular pages or the most linked category pages. This will autopopulate the 7 menu items with the most popular pages.
- To do this, use # symbols around category name.
- For categories, you use #category-name#. So for example, #category-food# will result in the 7 dropdown links being automatically filled with the most popular articles in the category "food".
However, when I use this method on my wiki at: http://hunterx.wikia.com, the navigation bar only shows the pages in order of their creation, and not in order of their popularity. Here is what I wrote: #category-Characters#, #category-Locations#, and so on. Is there anything wrong with my syntax? Or is it just that this method no longer works?
Thank you for reading.
Foreva 12:40, April 12, 2012 (UTC)
- I've read Help:Wiki_navigation too and I can't tell what definition of "popular" it uses: most views? most editors?? most revisions??? most linked???
- Which would you be interested in? -- pecos 19:52, April 12, 2012 (UTC)
- I think by 'popular' the writers of that help page meant 'most viewed' articles, which are also what I want to incorporate into the Nav bar of my wiki the most. But to be honest, whether it be 'most viewed' or 'most edited', as long as I can find a way to make the Nav bar of my wiki automatically change its contents periodically, I'll be satisfied with it. Foreva 21:29, April 12, 2012 (UTC)
- Take a look at Help:QuickStats:
Please note: we're aware that at this time the "Views" column of Quick Stats isn't functioning correctly. The system we calculate views from is undergoing some unexpected maintenance. We don't yet have a firm timeline when this system will be fixed. When the issue has been resolved we'll remove the message from Quick Stats and update here. Thanks for your understanding!
- It looks like Wikia currently cannot determine how many views pages get. These are the pages from your "Nen users" category:
- Yes, it seems so. The good news is: Staff is already aware of the problem. -- pecos 06:05, April 13, 2012 (UTC)
(Reset indent) For the record, most popular actually means most populated. IE, biggest categories. Rappy 19:38, April 16, 2012 (UTC)
- He already picked the categories. Their names are hard-coded in his MediaWiki:wiki-navigation. Every level two menu represents a category. The question is by what criteria the entries for the level three menus are chosen.
- pecos 21:10, April 16, 2012 (UTC)