Community Central
Community Central
(upscale)
(still happening on wow)
Line 37: Line 37:

Anyone still seeing this happening anywhere? --[[User:Uberfuzzy|Uberfuzzy]]<staff /> 21:41, November 4, 2009 (UTC)

Anyone still seeing this happening anywhere? --[[User:Uberfuzzy|Uberfuzzy]]<staff /> 21:41, November 4, 2009 (UTC)

* It isn't happening for me. - [[User:Brandon Rhea|<font color="#1A2BBB">'''Brandon Rhea'''</font>]] <sup>[[User talk:Brandon Rhea|<font color="#1A2BBB">(talk)</font>]]</sup> 21:43, November 4, 2009 (UTC)
+
: It isn't happening for me. - [[User:Brandon Rhea|<font color="#1A2BBB">'''Brandon Rhea'''</font>]] <sup>[[User talk:Brandon Rhea|<font color="#1A2BBB">(talk)</font>]]</sup> 21:43, November 4, 2009 (UTC)

+
:: Still happening on WoW. --[[w:c:wow:User:Kaydeethree|Kaydeethree]] <small>([[w:c:wow:User talk:Kaydeethree|talk]])</small> 18:13, November 5, 2009 (UTC)

==Blurry Upscales==

==Blurry Upscales==

Revision as of 18:13, 5 November 2009

Forums: Index Help desk Blurry Images
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 5278 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

Over on the Marvel Database, we're having a weird problem with images being blurred when reduced in size. Not all images are affected, and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with when they were uploaded, nor does the size they're often reduced to seem to, necessarily, be the problem. This image, for instance, and the third image on the third row (pretty obvious which one), but only at that particular size. And even this older image. We've never had this problem before, and it seems to have started at some point last week (at least that's when I first noticed it and brought it up with other members of the Wiki). --GrnMarvl14 16:03, November 1, 2009 (UTC)

I reported the issue on friday. The problem comes to tall images (images with more height than width). They generate a thumbnail image with the same width as the container height. As you could see, when more taller is the image, more blurred. The offender change made by wikia was [1]. --Ciencia Al Poder (talk) -WikiDex 16:39, November 1, 2009 (UTC)
Is there any way we can relate our issue to yours? Maybe if Wikia gets more feedback on the same ticket issue, they will be quicker to resolve it. --M1shawhan 18:58, November 1, 2009 (UTC)

I would like to toss in a theory. If you are using Firefox 3, then that might be the problem also. It scales small images, larger, resulting in blurring the image:

(Earth 616)
Original Dimensions - 52px × 79px
Firefox - scaled to 79px × 120px

It is something that Firefox staff doesn't seem to want to fix. The image itself is still the same size. Unicogirl
I don't see how this problem is related to Firefox or any browser, when the HTML is telling the browser to scale the image up. If you view the File:Dark_Reign_Young_Avengers_Vol_1_5.jpg file page, the HTML has width=388 and height=600, but the dimensions of the source image are actually 251x388. I'm seeing a similar problem on the adwr wiki, but only with new images. Thumbnails of images I've uploaded in the last few days should have a width of XXX, but instead have a height of XXX. The character infobox for one character should have a thumbnail that's 77px wide, instead it's 49px wide and 77px tall. The same issue can be seen on the item infobox for a particular dress. The thumbnail should be 140px wide, instead it's 63px wide and 140px tall. Something is screwed up with the logic for the program that's generating thumbnails, it's taking the width argument and using it for the height instead. Either that or mediawiki just made height the primary dimension, which wouldn't make much sense, and the image & content components are out of sync. --Superlgn 18:54, November 1, 2009 (UTC)
I am also an admin on the Marvel site and I am seeing this issue as well. I do use Firefox and I just transitioned the same page to IE (both the IE tab in Firefox and IE itself) and got the same results. If this is a Firefox issue, why are we just NOW seeing the effects? --M1shawhan 18:58, November 1, 2009 (UTC)
Why the heck are you blaming Firefox for this issue? You didn't see the first response to this forum post? There is the problem, on wikia servers. --Ciencia Al Poder (talk) -WikiDex 19:57, November 1, 2009 (UTC)
Please don't snap at me. That is why I said THEORY, and this issue happened when I downloaded FF3 months ago, while it was not present at all in FF2. You can see postings for it all over the net. It only happened to a some people, while others noticed no change at all. It was very noticeable for pixel artist who wanted to know how to fix the issue. Unicogirl

See also http://guildwars.wikia.com/wiki/GuildWiki:Wikia_staff_noticeboard#Image_thumbnailing_issue . --◄mendel► 19:25, November 1, 2009 (UTC)

And uh... most NPC pages I've created on WoW since the 28th. --Kaydeethree (talk) 19:30, November 1, 2009 (UTC)

This thumbnail isn't even showing up, advice please: [2] -- LordTBT Talk! 22:03, November 2, 2009 (UTC)

Also having this problem on Wookieepedia (see c:starwars:Forum:SH:Fuzzy images). —Master Jonathan(Jedi Council Chambers) 17:43, November 3, 2009 (UTC)

Yeah, we messed up a bit. in an attempt to fix a rounding bug, W and H got swapped in a script (but only for "tall" images). its being fixed, and thumbs sizes should re-render soon. what Superlgn said above is right, its not your browser's fault. we tell it we're going to give it a (example) 100px image, and the image tags says width="100", so when the image data comes in, it will stretch it to the size its told (width=100), even if its not actually that size. we're adding in some new testing to check this aspect so that we can check that we dont break it with any future changes. --Uberfuzzy 18:22, November 3, 2009 (UTC)

Anyone still seeing this happening anywhere? --Uberfuzzy 21:41, November 4, 2009 (UTC)

It isn't happening for me. - Brandon Rhea (talk) 21:43, November 4, 2009 (UTC)
Still happening on WoW. --Kaydeethree (talk) 18:13, November 5, 2009 (UTC)

Blurry Upscales

This isn't related to the original problem, but upscaled images are quite blurry. It wasn't like this before the 1.15? upgrade. Here is an example, the upscaled image should look like a blocky 8-bit gif even when enlarged.--Sxerks 00:50, November 5, 2009 (UTC)