Community Central
Register
Community Central
No edit summary
No edit summary
Line 20: Line 20:

::::Well nobody object. In fact, i've just created an account for my newly acquired bot to use because my users already have a long list of things that our bots must do. Now there's two accounts that need the bot flag. The one i've just created is the most important of them. His username is [[User:Vorlax1|Vorlax1]]. The other one, as stated earlier, is [[User:Alkibot|Alkibot]]. Do you have all that is required to proceed ? — [[User:TulipVorlax|TůζipVõrζąx]] <small>[[User_talk:TulipVorlax|Talk]]</small> 00:47, 9 September 2007 (UTC)

::::Well nobody object. In fact, i've just created an account for my newly acquired bot to use because my users already have a long list of things that our bots must do. Now there's two accounts that need the bot flag. The one i've just created is the most important of them. His username is [[User:Vorlax1|Vorlax1]]. The other one, as stated earlier, is [[User:Alkibot|Alkibot]]. Do you have all that is required to proceed ? — [[User:TulipVorlax|TůζipVõrζąx]] <small>[[User_talk:TulipVorlax|Talk]]</small> 00:47, 9 September 2007 (UTC)
  +
  +
:::::I botted '''Vorlax1''', the other user does not seem to exist on Wikia. --[[w:User:Splarka|Splarka]] <small>([[w:User_talk:Splarka|talk]])</small> &lt;[[w:Wikia_Staff|Staff]]&gt; 10:06, 12 September 2007 (UTC)

Revision as of 10:06, 12 September 2007

Forums: Index Help desk Bots
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 6033 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

Are we able to put bots in our wikis?--Richard 23:19, 18 October 2006 (UTC)

AFAIK, most modern mediawiki bots use derivatives of pywikipediabot (more info), which doesn't require explicit approval from Wikia staff to run on any wikia (or even the admin of that wikia, technically), as they must be run from an external machine, such as your own PC. The only thing you might need from us is the "bot" flag, which hides the edits from Special:Recentchanges (by default that is, they can be shown with the 'show bots' item in the menu).
Note that the bot flag is not 100% synonymous with an automated editing script. Bots can and often do edit without a "bot" flag, and under certain circumstances a human editor may utilize a bot flag for repetitive tasks that can't or shouldn't be done by a bot (such as bans or deletions). --Splarka (talk) 23:29, 18 October 2006 (UTC)
On the french guild wars wikia, one of the admin sometime make use of a bot. He has a second account name Alkibot that could be used exclusively by his script. So, is there any kind of procedure for asking Wikia the bot flag for this account ? Thanks. — TůζipVõrζąx Talk 09:09, 11 August 2007 (UTC)
Any local bureaucrat can grant a bot flag on the wiki they are a bureuacrat on. Thunderhead 10:23, 11 August 2007 (UTC)
Erm, no. While this may be true on Wikimedia projects, it's not true on Wikia projects. Wikimedia has Makebot extension. Wikia doesn't yet have it - as far as I know, it will be coming pretty soon. :-) --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 11:06, 11 August 2007 (UTC)
Tulip: You simply have to ask, but it is best to have community consensus first (so everyone is informed that the edits will be hidden from recent changes). --Splarka (talk) <Staff> 05:40, 12 August 2007 (UTC)
I have asked the people at fr.guildwars.wikia to give approval to this. They simply have to put a bit of code with their sig here : [1] but it might take some time to get it all... Note though that we can't really be called a community yet, i think we are only 6 active users. Some visit but don't stay.
So, when i get like 90% of approval, i ask for the flag to wich staff member exactly ? Angela ? — TůζipVõrζąx Talk 19:51, 12 August 2007 (UTC)
Well, you don't have to be too bureaucratic about it, just hold an informal discussion to see if anyone objects. And, any staffer can do it (even me). --Splarka (talk) <Staff> 08:59, 13 August 2007 (UTC)
Well nobody object. In fact, i've just created an account for my newly acquired bot to use because my users already have a long list of things that our bots must do. Now there's two accounts that need the bot flag. The one i've just created is the most important of them. His username is Vorlax1. The other one, as stated earlier, is Alkibot. Do you have all that is required to proceed ? — TůζipVõrζąx Talk 00:47, 9 September 2007 (UTC)
I botted Vorlax1, the other user does not seem to exist on Wikia. --Splarka (talk) <Staff> 10:06, 12 September 2007 (UTC)