Community Central
Register
Community Central
No edit summary
m (fix fmt)

Line 11: Line 11:

::: Now if I write a scientific paper, and agreed with a particular journal that only that journal can sell copies of my paper, then I should not put my paper on Wikia. However, If I already put my paper on Wikia, then I would not agree with any journal that only that journal can sell copies, because I already gave permission for others to sell copies. --[[User:Kernigh|Kernigh]] 05:18, 18 June 2006 (UTC)

::: Now if I write a scientific paper, and agreed with a particular journal that only that journal can sell copies of my paper, then I should not put my paper on Wikia. However, If I already put my paper on Wikia, then I would not agree with any journal that only that journal can sell copies, because I already gave permission for others to sell copies. --[[User:Kernigh|Kernigh]] 05:18, 18 June 2006 (UTC)
Thanks Kernigh. Youve provoked me into starting another thread to clarify the copyright status of journal articles. Perhaps you could contribute more wisdom there.[[User:Lifeartist|Lifeartist]] 22:56, 18 June 2006 (UTC)
+
Thanks Kernigh. Youve provoked me into starting another thread to clarify the copyright status of journal articles. Perhaps you could contribute more wisdom there.[[User:Lifeartist|Lifeartist]] 22:56, 18 June 2006 (UTC)

Latest revision as of 13:35, 19 June 2006

Forums: Index Help desk Creative commons licences Share a like 2.5
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 6482 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

Could people have a look at this link about Creative Commons License How does this sit with GDFL? Are our wikis displayed for commercial benefit. I would appreciate any thoughtsLifeartist 13:34, 14 June 2006 (UTC)

(Obligatory disclaimer: I am not a lawyer!) The basic idea of this license is that content released under CC-BY-SA-2.5 may be copied, redistributed, edited, sold, and used in any way so long as the copy or derived work is credited to the author(s) and also released under the CC-BY-SA-2.5 license. It is not compatible with the GFDL -- you can't reuse CC-BY-SA content and only release under GFDL, and you can't take GFDL content and call it CC-BY-SA.
If you'd like your work to be available under both licenses on Wikia, you are welcome to "dual-license" it—release it under both licenses so that people can choose which to use. You could do this for your own work at any time (in fact, you can license your own work under as many different licenses as you want; it belongs to you). If you're starting a new wiki and you want all the content to also be available under CC-BY-SA, you have to either dual-license at the beginning or get everyone who's ever edited to agree to it later!
Yes, Wikia wikis are displayed for commercial use (take a look at the Google ads on the side; this is part of how we are able to offer free wiki hosting). Does this help? Mindspillage (spill yours?) 15:09, 15 June 2006 (UTC)
Thanks for that Mindspillage. It clears up part of my difficulty. I think what I am trying to do in my head is to seperate the commercial motive on your part (which I think is necessary) from the altruistic/ academic motive in our contributors. In acedemia we are used to journal publishers raking it in while we produce scientific papers for the general good with no financial involvement. I am confused as to whether the existence of you financial benefit means that we cant publish here. Any thoughtsLifeartist 17:34, 16 June 2006 (UTC)
When I contribute to Wikia or any GNU-FDL'd project, I expect that someone might sell copies of my work without giving me any of the money. Even if I am not making commercial use myself, even if my motives are "altruistic/academic", whether or not Wikia has Google ads, then I choose to not prevent others from selling copies. (They still have to compete against anyone giving copies at no charge. For example, someone could buy my GNU-FDL'd work and then put it on their web site or BitTorrent.)
The GNU FDL, like most licenses, is non-exclusive. I still own my work and can give other licenses. A problem might be if I gave an exclusive license. For example, I write a book in the United States, sign a contract with a publisher in Australia, and promise that only that publisher can sell that book in Australia. If I then grant a GNU FDL license for my book to Wikia, I am then giving Wikia and wiki visitors permission to sell copies in Australia, and have violated my exclusive contract with the publisher. Then I should not add my book to Wikia.
Now if I write a scientific paper, and agreed with a particular journal that only that journal can sell copies of my paper, then I should not put my paper on Wikia. However, If I already put my paper on Wikia, then I would not agree with any journal that only that journal can sell copies, because I already gave permission for others to sell copies. --Kernigh 05:18, 18 June 2006 (UTC)

Thanks Kernigh. Youve provoked me into starting another thread to clarify the copyright status of journal articles. Perhaps you could contribute more wisdom there.Lifeartist 22:56, 18 June 2006 (UTC)