Community Central
Community Central
mNo edit summary
No edit summary
Line 22: Line 22:

::Personally, I don't think that talk page histories should ever be deleted/hidden except in extreme circumstances of personal attacks or on-going drama that would cause further problems if people can see it. From what I've seen of the linked discussion, I don't think that is the case in this situation. Furthermore, protecting a user talk page would be an extreme action. It would be simpler if that user just placed a template on the talk page requesting that people not leave messages there. --'''[[User:Gardimuer|Gardimuer]]'''&nbsp;<sup>[[User talk:Gardimuer|{&nbsp;ʈalk&nbsp;}]]</sup> 02:02, April 23, 2012 (UTC)

::Personally, I don't think that talk page histories should ever be deleted/hidden except in extreme circumstances of personal attacks or on-going drama that would cause further problems if people can see it. From what I've seen of the linked discussion, I don't think that is the case in this situation. Furthermore, protecting a user talk page would be an extreme action. It would be simpler if that user just placed a template on the talk page requesting that people not leave messages there. --'''[[User:Gardimuer|Gardimuer]]'''&nbsp;<sup>[[User talk:Gardimuer|{&nbsp;ʈalk&nbsp;}]]</sup> 02:02, April 23, 2012 (UTC)
  +
  +
:::That sounds reasonable, but there doesn't seem to be a standard template for that purpose. What would you suggest?
  +
  +
{| style="font-size: 95%; width: 80%; margin: 0 auto; border: 1px #AAA solid; border-collapse: collapse; background-color: #EEE; border-left: 10px solid #b22222"
  +
|-
  +
| style="width: 60px; padding: 2px 0px 2px 0.5em; text-align: center;" | [[File:Stop.svg|50px]]
  +
| style="padding: 0.25em 0.5em; color:#000;" | '''No messages, please'''
  +
<div style="font-size: 85%; margin-top:0.5em;">
  +
This user will not check for messages that you leave here.
  +
</div>
  +
|}
  +
  +
:::(mash-up of [[w:c:help:Template:Notice]] and [[commons:File:Nuvola_apps_important.svg]]) -- {{User:Pecoes/sig|04:41, April 23, 2012 (UTC)}}

Revision as of 04:41, 23 April 2012

Forums: Index General Discussion Deleting user pages and user talk pages
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 4379 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

I found annoying seeing red links to user pages and user talk pages, I prefer blank them out instead of deleting them, but some user ask for their deletion (for example if they are leaving the wiki) as if they were magically erased from the wiki logs and history pages. Is it unreasonable to ask to not delete them? What do you think? leviathan_89 22:56, 20 April, 2012 (UTC)

Assuming there isn't a policy saying you can't delete discussion, then technically there is nothing preventing you from deleting the page. If you feel such a policy should exist then bring it up with the community as your wiki and go from there. :) User:Cåm/Signature 23:19, April 20, 2012 (UTC)
Unless the community has agreed to make a policy that users can request user or user talk page deletion, it is perfectly reasonable just to say no to a deletion request.
Especially if a user is leaving the wiki, the onus should be on them to clean up what they want cleaned up. I don't think it's an admin's job to support users whose intention is to stop contributing. -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 20 Apr 2012 4:28 PM Pacific
Their contribs still show up with Special:Contribution/USERNAME, if you're worried about them disappearing off the face of the earth. In all honesty inactive users can leave behind a trail of problems if they were an active user (I have dozens of userpages that could cause any number of future problems), but I'd still suggest talking it over with your wiki's community to make a decision on what you'd like to do about the pages. User:Cåm/Signature 00:37, April 21, 2012 (UTC)
Thought so, but I'm curious to hear everybody opinions here on the matter! Thank you. leviathan_89 00:49, 21 April, 2012 (UTC)
Forgive me for plugging my own code, but you may find w:c:dev:InactiveUsers useful. It adds an "INACTIVE" tag to the masthead of user pages of people who haven't contributed in the last three months. I could add the option of listing people as "INACTIVE" without the three month delay if you like. --  pecoes  00:53, April 21, 2012 (UTC) 
Thank you, I was already using your code on my wikis! ; ) This discussion was born from this one because an user request the deletion of both her user page and talk page, furthermore request the protection of her talk page. I just asked to simply blank them out, but she apparently want them deleted, although she said she want to keep do minor edits on the wiki. Apparently she want to be "anonymously", read my talk page there. I didn't understand why my request was so unacceptable so I came here looking for other opinions. leviathan_89 01:03, 21 April, 2012 (UTC)
We're not talking about a user who wants to leave the wiki, are we? Having read a bit of that conversation, it seems she wants to keep on editing, but doesn't feel particularly welcome at your wiki and/or that her ideas are not taken seriously. Are you sure those personal issues were addressed already? --  pecoes  01:28, April 21, 2012 (UTC) 

(Reset indent) For this, I suggest tagging {{staff needed}} Sam Wang 09:58, April 21, 2012 (UTC)

I think if someone asks for their page to be deleted rather than blanked, it's because they don't want people to be able to go into the history and see the discussions. What you could do is blank it, delete it, then restore only the last revision. This would remove the history and also the redlink, and may be a compromise for people wanting their talk page deleted--Category:Acer4666 10:45, April 22, 2012 (UTC)
Personally, I don't think that talk page histories should ever be deleted/hidden except in extreme circumstances of personal attacks or on-going drama that would cause further problems if people can see it. From what I've seen of the linked discussion, I don't think that is the case in this situation. Furthermore, protecting a user talk page would be an extreme action. It would be simpler if that user just placed a template on the talk page requesting that people not leave messages there. --Gardimuer { ʈalk } 02:02, April 23, 2012 (UTC)
That sounds reasonable, but there doesn't seem to be a standard template for that purpose. What would you suggest?
Stop No messages, please

This user will not check for messages that you leave here.

(mash-up of w:c:help:Template:Notice and commons:File:Nuvola_apps_important.svg) --  pecoes  04:41, April 23, 2012 (UTC)