Community Central
Register
Community Central
Forums: Index Community Central Forum Help with left and right
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 5040 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

Won't show <left> and <right> stuff on this page--Funkey100 (talk)progress-wheel.gif 21:25, June 7, 2010 (UTC)

Those aren't HTML tags and won't work like <center> does. Try <div align="left"></div> and <div align="right"></div> instead. --Pcj (TC) 21:26, June 7, 2010 (UTC)

thanks Funkey100 (talk)progress-wheel.gif 21:38, June 7, 2010 (UTC)

Someone told me that <center></center> was being deprecated from HTML 4 and beyond and <div align="center"></div> should be used when you want to center... I just don't like all that extra typing. ;-) -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 3:25 PM PST 7 Jun 2010
Yep. --Pcj (TC) 22:28, June 7, 2010 (UTC)
The align attribute of <div> is deprecated as well, and is not supported in HTML 4.01 Strict / XHTML 1.0 Strict DTD. but that will only be an issue if wikia moves away from XHTML 1.0 Transitional DTD. the "proper" way is <div style="text-align:left;"> with right and center used as needed. --Roguebfl(talk) 22:47, June 7, 2010 (UTC)
text-align is not the same as align. text-align aligns the contents with regard to the container, whereas align aligns the container to the page. See http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_align.asp for the real way to CSS align. --Pcj (TC) 22:53, June 7, 2010 (UTC)
yes text-align often requires container divs and float and clear is often better for replacing align on a tag. But it is more often the correct answer to <center> and the the theoretical <left> <right> that the other options so I did not list them.
But be careful with w3schools they are not associated with the W3C despite then name, and have habit of presenting IE only code as if it was part of the standard. but other wise a good site. --Roguebfl(talk) 23:05, June 7, 2010 (UTC)
Meh, rarely, but they present it better than any other site. --Pcj (TC) 23:22, June 7, 2010 (UTC)
I've noticed <div style="align:center;"></div> does not work reliably in many cases, whereas <div align="center"></div> almost always does. If align:center; were supported better, I would use it. -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 5:34 PM PST 7 Jun 2010
<div style="align:center;"> is not valid, it's either <div style="text-align:center;"> or <div align="center"> (also notably there is no style="float:center;") . But text-align doesn't always work the way you want it either, I agree. I mainly use align="center" because: 1) it gets me the effect I want; 2) it's currently supported widely; 3) it's shorter to type. --Pcj (TC) 00:38, June 8, 2010 (UTC)
The reason why <div style="text-align:center;"> is only affecting the content of the div, is because to properly center the div, you have to use <div style="margin-left:auto;margin-right:auto;"> but for this to work the width of the div must be set otherwise it defaut to 100% of the parent. — TulipVorlax 08:31, June 8, 2010 (UTC)
The inconsistency of HTML/CSS can be aggravating. -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 3:47 PM PST 8 Jun 2010
Actually the Box model is very consistent. What is inconsistent is the expectation of what centering does. Perhaps reading a primer on the Box Model instead of picking it up piecemeal might be helpful for you.—Roguebfl(talk) 00:04, June 9, 2010 (UTC)
I'm pretty sure most people's expectations of center are consistent. Why would there be a text-align:center, but not an align:center? Why would a box of text be treated differently than a box of non-text? Why is there a vertical-align, but no horizontal-align? -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 5:31 PM PST 8 Jun 2010
people exception of center is not consistent. Because they don't ask centered in regards to "WHAT" —Roguebfl(talk) 01:11, June 9, 2010 (UTC)
True. — TulipVorlax 01:20, June 9, 2010 (UTC)
That still doesn't address the inconsistencies. But if you want to use the "box model" people usually expect something to be centered relative to its containing box. People's expectations have nothing to do with syntactically inconsistent markup (like vertical-align, but no horizontal-align). -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 4:26 PM PST 9 Jun 2010
To complain about the box model : wikipedia:World Wide Web Consortium. — TulipVorlax 11:37, June 10, 2010 (UTC)