This Forum has been archivedVisit the new Forums
Is there a way to get hit counts for our wikia (solarcooking) and for individual wikia pages? I found our Wikia Statistics page and it had a column called "visits" but it's empty - and would only be a total for the site anyway. I also found a reference to Google analytics that sounded intriguing, but not enough information. Would that provide detailed hit counts? If so, can we get it? Thanks. --Beth Ogilvie 01:31, 31 January 2007 (UTC)
- The visits count doesn't work, unfortunately, because of the way we deal with page caching. Google Analytics provides some interesting information, which includes information on page views I belive. We can add that to solarcooking, you just need to get a code from Google at http://www.google.com/analytics/ and mail it to us at email@example.com -- sannse (talk) 11:33, 31 January 2007 (UTC)
- Did you get my email? I'm sure you're very busy, but I'm wondering when you might be able to squeeze it in. :-) Thanks! --Beth Ogilvie 01:14, 2 February 2007 (UTC)
- Someone (thank you :) added Google Analytics to solarcooking a couple months ago. I found it very interesting to see how people got to our site, what pages they mostly arrived on, what pages they left from, what part of the world they're in, etc. It doesn't exactly address the hit count issue, but it still has useful information, so I'm sorry to hear you've abandoned it, unless you're planning to replace all those features with your own code. --Beth Ogilvie 14:23, 22 April 2007 (UTC)
- Actually, I know that because Angela told me that "Michael Davis, Wikia's COO, was adding these manually and due to the number of requests decided this was no longer practical". So for a more recent quote "However, we are working on a wikistats solution that can be easily used on all wikis." ~Dantman(talk) tricks Apr 22, 2007 @ 15:39 (UTC)
Genealogy Wikia success?
Some of my clever co-workers on genealogy: seem to have got something working. See http://genealogy.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Page_access_counting/Monobook and related pages, then look at it apparently working on the Main Page.
Robin Patterson 13:05, 21 April 2007 (UTC)
- Mediawiki has in-built php-based per-page hit counter capability. But, like on Wikipedia, it had to be disabled on Wikia to use caching servers (as the hits to caching servers do not register with the back-end apaches, therefore do not execute php code).
- You either need to use a third party counter (like this, or wait for a solution to come out of Wikimedia's nerds. --Splarka (talk) 06:35, 22 April 2007 (UTC)