Community Central
Community Central
(reply)
No edit summary
Line 30: Line 30:

:::::::Tagging <code>{{staff needed}}</code> to get this cleared up -- [[Special:Contributions/76.65.131.160|76.65.131.160]] 05:51, July 23, 2012 (UTC)

:::::::Tagging <code>{{staff needed}}</code> to get this cleared up -- [[Special:Contributions/76.65.131.160|76.65.131.160]] 05:51, July 23, 2012 (UTC)

::::::::What have i said that was unclear? --[[user:user452|452]] 01:26, July 25, 2012 (UTC)
+
::::::::What have i said that was unclear? --[[user:user452|452]] 01:26, July 25, 2012 (UTC)

<del>Well, Avatar Wiki, Runescape Wiki, and others have done it. Does that mean it will have to be removed? —&nbsp;[[User:MateyY|MateyY]]&nbsp;&bull;&nbsp;<small>([[Message Wall:MateyY|wall]])</small> 21:23, July 22, 2012 (UTC)</del>

<del>Well, Avatar Wiki, Runescape Wiki, and others have done it. Does that mean it will have to be removed? —&nbsp;[[User:MateyY|MateyY]]&nbsp;&bull;&nbsp;<small>([[Message Wall:MateyY|wall]])</small> 21:23, July 22, 2012 (UTC)</del>
Line 42: Line 42:

::::Editing the "On the Wiki" tab '''is''' against the ToU. You would have to get express consent from Wikia to do any modifications to it. [[User:Rappy 4187|Rappy]] 17:50, July 23, 2012 (UTC)

::::Editing the "On the Wiki" tab '''is''' against the ToU. You would have to get express consent from Wikia to do any modifications to it. [[User:Rappy 4187|Rappy]] 17:50, July 23, 2012 (UTC)

:::::There is nothing in the ToU which explicitly forbids adding additional functionality, as the Runescape wiki has done. Previously, Wikia was interpreting the ToU in a manner which meant "proper display" meant "do not add things". This is not longer the case.
+
:::::There is nothing in the ToU which explicitly forbids adding additional functionality, as the Runescape wiki has done. Previously, Wikia was interpreting the ToU in a manner which meant "proper display" meant "do not add things". This is not longer the case.
:::::On July 16th, [[User:Sarah Manley]] told me via Wikia Support that they have loosened their enforcement of the policy and are now allowing JS edits to the On The Wiki tab. She mentioned nothing about express consent. (I asked her if I was allowed to copy/paste her complete response, but she has asked me not to, sorry) --[[user:user452|452]] 01:26, July 25, 2012 (UTC)
+
:::::On July 16th, [[User:Sarah Manley]] told me via Wikia Support that they have loosened their enforcement of the policy and are now allowing JS edits to the On The Wiki tab. She mentioned nothing about express consent. (I asked her if I was allowed to copy/paste her complete response, but she has asked me not to, sorry) --[[user:user452|452]] 01:26, July 25, 2012 (UTC)
  +
  +
{{Ri}}Sorry for the shameless plug, but I wrote a little JavaScript gadget that modifies this menu on a per-user basis. It's fully configurable. It even comes with it's own editor. And it features level 4 submenus. Strictly speaking it's still in Beta, but the code is almost complete. The documentation is still a bit incomplete though. You can try it out by adding this to your [[w:Special:MyPage/global.js|global.js]]:
  +
  +
<source lang="javascript">imporScriptPage('Client.js', 'wikimarks');</source>
  +
  +
It currently works under Oasis only. -- {{User:Pecoes/sig|06:24, July 25, 2012 (UTC)}}

Revision as of 06:24, 25 July 2012

Forums: Index Support Requests How to add Chat to "On the Wiki" Navigation and is it possible to edit "On the Wiki" Navigation?
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 4286 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

I've already enable the chat feature, but how do I add a chat link to the "On the Wiki" Navigation? I seen lots of Wiki that have that. Also is it possible to edit "On the Wiki" Navigation? Not to delete the whole Navigation, but to rename some stuff and add some stuff to it? —This unsigned comment is by ChaosGTO (wallcontribs). Please sign your comments by adding "~~~~" in the source editor.

Hi, the chat link should be added automatically if Chat is enabled. If it doesn't you may need to report it as a bug. As for editing that tab, you can't. It can only be edited by the wikia staff globally. - Tjcool007 (Talk) 20:09, July 22, 2012 (UTC)
Actually, you can use JavaScript to do so.

MateyY (talkcontribs) 20:43, July 22, 2012 (UTC)

Here is an example script that will change the text of "Wiki Activity" to "Activity":
$(document).ready(function() {
	$('a.subnav-2a[href="/wiki/Special:WikiActivity"]').html("Activity");
});

MateyY (talkcontribs) 20:51, July 22, 2012 (UTC)

(edit conflict)

According to here, modifying the menu with JS is a violation of Wikia's ToU. - Tjcool007 (Talk) 20:56, July 22, 2012 (UTC)

So you can't even add links to the menu? — MateyY • (wall) 20:59, July 22, 2012 (UTC)
No, the "on the wiki" menu is set by Wikia and can't be changed. Sorry -- RandomTime 21:21, July 22, 2012 (UTC)
While they were indeed previously saying that edits to "On The Wiki" were not allowed. Wikia are now allowing JS edits to the On The Wiki tab, and have confirmed this for me in a support request several days ago. --452 04:56, July 23, 2012 (UTC)
Tagging to get this cleared up -- 76.65.131.160 05:51, July 23, 2012 (UTC)
What have i said that was unclear? --452 01:26, July 25, 2012 (UTC)

Well, Avatar Wiki, Runescape Wiki, and others have done it. Does that mean it will have to be removed? — MateyY • (wall) 21:23, July 22, 2012 (UTC)

Thank you! — MateyY • (wall) 15:55, July 23, 2012 (UTC)
Mediawiki:Wiki-navigation —This unsigned comment is by Cap123 (wallcontribs). Please sign your comments by adding "~~~~" in the source editor.
You can't edit the "On the wiki" tab with that MediaWiki page. - Tjcool007 (Talk) 17:48, July 23, 2012 (UTC)
Editing the "On the Wiki" tab is against the ToU. You would have to get express consent from Wikia to do any modifications to it. Rappy 17:50, July 23, 2012 (UTC)
There is nothing in the ToU which explicitly forbids adding additional functionality, as the Runescape wiki has done. Previously, Wikia was interpreting the ToU in a manner which meant "proper display" meant "do not add things". This is not longer the case.
On July 16th, User:Sarah Manley told me via Wikia Support that they have loosened their enforcement of the policy and are now allowing JS edits to the On The Wiki tab. She mentioned nothing about express consent. (I asked her if I was allowed to copy/paste her complete response, but she has asked me not to, sorry) --452 01:26, July 25, 2012 (UTC)

(Reset indent) Sorry for the shameless plug, but I wrote a little JavaScript gadget that modifies this menu on a per-user basis. It's fully configurable. It even comes with it's own editor. And it features level 4 submenus. Strictly speaking it's still in Beta, but the code is almost complete. The documentation is still a bit incomplete though. You can try it out by adding this to your global.js:

imporScriptPage('Client.js', 'wikimarks');

It currently works under Oasis only. --  pecoes  06:24, July 25, 2012 (UTC)