Community Central
Community Central
Forums: Index General Discussion How to deal with anti-Wikia gossip?
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 4327 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

I recently adopted the City of Heroes Wiki on Wikia, but noticed many City of Heroes players speak out vocally against Wikia. People often "know" a friend of a friend of a friend who supposedly got malware from Wikia, and tell everyone to use the independent wiki instead because it's "safe". I know this is nonsense, but it's the popular sentiment among the playerbase. What's the best way to debunk these rumors and lies? Rigel Kent 06:26, June 7, 2012 (UTC)

I think you should just ask for evidence as well as details of the case, the type of infection, the AV software they used etc. Show them Wikia's security ratings (as on MyWOT). TK999 09:53, June 7, 2012 (UTC)
Many people confuse Cookies with malware. The former of which users do get when they log in, and are harmless. :) STARFLEET ACADEMY 10:02, June 7, 2012 (UTC)
Wikia may do stupid things time to time that mess with the user interface, but I'd never accuse them of putting out harmful software. Perhaps point out that if Wikia were really out to screw us over, they have everyone's IP address just a few clicks away. And yet I sleep soundly every night. User:Cåm/Signature 10:45, June 10, 2012 (UTC)
If Wikia kept a better handle on their ad providers, their reputation wouldn't have been besmirched. If you're logged into Wikia, you won't have these problems. Anonymous users are leaching off other people's hard work in many cases, so tough crap. -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 13 Jun 2012 2:16 PM Pacific