Community Central
Community Central
(Created page with "{{Forumheader|Support Requests}}So I am in the process of creating a Wiki and want it to remain unseeable until it is really ready to be seen, so is there some way I can ensur...")

No edit summary

(3 intermediate revisions by 3 users not shown)
Line 7: Line 7:

<!-- Please put your content under this line. Be sure to sign your edits with four tildes: ~~~~

<!-- Please put your content under this line. Be sure to sign your edits with four tildes: ~~~~

If you require staff help, please use Special:Contact or community@wikia.com to be sure of a staff reply. -->

If you require staff help, please use Special:Contact or community@wikia.com to be sure of a staff reply. -->
  +
  +
:There is not. Wikis are a public project. {{User:TyA/sig}} 03:57, August 9, 2012 (UTC)
  +
::More accurately, ''Wikia Wikis'' are public projects. Wikia works like Wikipedia and has similar policies: you must allow third party contributors, including anonymous ones. The only way out of that requirement is to not use Wikia, rent your own server and install the Wiki software yourself; that is no small undertaking and could be expensive to do right (backups, maintenance). You can install the MediaWiki software on your own computer, work on it there then export the database and import onto Wikia later but I honestly don't see any possible benefit from doing so. [[User:Lunarity|Lunarity]] 04:45, August 9, 2012 (UTC)
  +
  +
:::As Lunarity and VioletVirago said, wikis are publoc, but on the first 1-2 months of a wiki, it will probably abandonned- so you can then take advantage and start building-up your wiki, so when new users join, they will like that look. Also, if you want more users, you can go to some forums about the subject of your wiki, and tell others about the wiki you started/ adopted.
  +
:::[[user:Penguin-Pal|<font color="0e92cf">Penguin-Pal</font>]] [[user talk:Penguin-Pal|<font color="2e47aa">(talk)</font>]] 06:27, August 9, 2012 (UTC)

Latest revision as of 06:27, 9 August 2012

Forums: Index Support Requests How to keep a Wiki private?
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 4271 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

So I am in the process of creating a Wiki and want it to remain unseeable until it is really ready to be seen, so is there some way I can ensure that no random person come rampaging through by chance? Is any way to for instance simply lock the Wiki entirely from outside people until it's ready?

Thanks in advance!

VioletVirago (talk) 03:53, August 9, 2012 (UTC)

There is not. Wikis are a public project. 22px-Logo.svg.png22?cb=20160405123310 22?cb=20170831223041 03:57, August 9, 2012 (UTC)
More accurately, Wikia Wikis are public projects. Wikia works like Wikipedia and has similar policies: you must allow third party contributors, including anonymous ones. The only way out of that requirement is to not use Wikia, rent your own server and install the Wiki software yourself; that is no small undertaking and could be expensive to do right (backups, maintenance). You can install the MediaWiki software on your own computer, work on it there then export the database and import onto Wikia later but I honestly don't see any possible benefit from doing so. Lunarity 04:45, August 9, 2012 (UTC)
As Lunarity and VioletVirago said, wikis are publoc, but on the first 1-2 months of a wiki, it will probably abandonned- so you can then take advantage and start building-up your wiki, so when new users join, they will like that look. Also, if you want more users, you can go to some forums about the subject of your wiki, and tell others about the wiki you started/ adopted.
Penguin-Pal (talk) 06:27, August 9, 2012 (UTC)