Community Central
Community Central
(reply)
No edit summary

(6 intermediate revisions by 4 users not shown)
Line 18: Line 18:

:::Sure. I'm patient. Fixing bugs can take a bit of time. I know that. But the mail asking me what I think of their support arrived ''now''. They most likely haven't even begun to look at this bug - it's the weekend after all - but they already want to know what I think of their support. That's what puzzles me. -- {{User:Pecoes/sig|13:26, July 21, 2012 (UTC)}}

:::Sure. I'm patient. Fixing bugs can take a bit of time. I know that. But the mail asking me what I think of their support arrived ''now''. They most likely haven't even begun to look at this bug - it's the weekend after all - but they already want to know what I think of their support. That's what puzzles me. -- {{User:Pecoes/sig|13:26, July 21, 2012 (UTC)}}

{{Ri}} It might also be automatically sent. For me, they also arrive after I receive an official response. [[User:TK-999|TK-999]] ([[User talk:TK-999|talk]]) 13:36, July 21, 2012 (UTC)

{{Ri}} It might also be automatically sent. For me, they also arrive after I receive an official response. [[User:TK-999|TK-999]] ([[User talk:TK-999|talk]]) 13:36, July 21, 2012 (UTC)
  +
:Yes, I suspect as much. Well, I replied with "Good, I'm satisfied." now. Not because I'm satisfied - nothing has happened yet - but because it's far too early to say otherwise. But still: This is awkward. -- {{User:Pecoes/sig|16:20, July 21, 2012 (UTC)}}
  +
::I think it's annoying that we hear that the bug has been passed onto the technical team, then hear no more. It's impossible to know if the bug is taking time to fix or they've just forgotten about it, or they think they've fixed it but actually haven't--[[User:Acer4666|<span style="color:#CC2200;">Category:Acer4666</span>]] 16:32, July 21, 2012 (UTC)
  +
:::I'm starting to think Wikia needs a public bug tracker. Just a few days ago I wrote in another forum that would be overkill, but I've changed my mind. Some clarity and transparency would be helpful. What bugs are there? What's their priority? Have they been assigned? Have they been fixed? Will they be fixed? What bugs have been classified as bogus? Among other benefits this would also remove a major source of tension between Staff and users. -- {{User:Pecoes/sig|21:18, July 21, 2012 (UTC)}}
  +
  +
::::I've been thinking about that myself but figured it might actually cause additional tension between staff and users due to, for example: under-prioritizing bugs (why does '''my important bug report''' have such a low priority?), the time it takes for some bugs to get fixed, closing or dismissing bug reports that describe unreproducible issues (why did they close my ticket even though I still see the issue?).
  +
  +
::::Technical Update blog posts usually contain a description of the most prominent bugs, so as soon as they are back up again, we'll be able to tell if the big issues are being solved. <span style="font-size:125%; font-weight:bold; font-family:Trebuchet MS, Helvetica, sans-serif; text-shadow:0 0 0.05em #646464">— [[User:Sovq|Sovq]]</span> 06:50, July 22, 2012 (UTC)
  +
  +
:::::I think both sides stand to benefit from public bug tracking. For example, if we can easily see what bugs there are, it might also help to reduce the amount of unnecessary duplicate reports, which in turn would safe staff some time as well. I can't tell you how many times I've reported something and gotten "Yep, that bug is known, we're fixing it." Sometimes more confirms help, but most of the time, once staff have reproduced and queued it, no more reports should be needed. {{User:Mathmagician/sig|07:21 UTC|Sun|22 July 2012}}
  +
  +
::::::At this very moment I'm answering a bug report I got about one of my own scripts. Except it's not ''my'' bug. It's the exact same one that I just reported to Staff. It would certainly be nice if I could reply with a link to the bug tracker. -- {{User:Pecoes/sig|08:03, July 22, 2012 (UTC)}}
  +
  +
::::::EDIT: @Sovq: I disagree. Currently Wikia thanks all users with warm and kind words for their bug reports and feature requests. Then they proceed to either fix the code or delete the report. Which it is, you don't know. That gives users the feeling they're not supposed to know. Worse: It creates the feeling that Wikia refuses to admit - let alone discuss - problems. But if there was a public bug-tracker, admittance and discussion would not only become possible but also quite easy. If somebody complains that his/her bug ranks too low, Staff could tell them: "We currently have quite a few bugs that are rated 'severe'. Take a look at them, please, we think you'll agree they're more severe. And once we're done with them, it's high time to go through the feature requests again. That's why your report is ranked so low. Sorry about that." If a user refuses to understand that he/she cannot be helped. -- {{User:Pecoes/sig|08:24, July 22, 2012 (UTC)}}

Latest revision as of 08:24, 22 July 2012

Forums: Index General Discussion How would you rate the support you received?
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 4288 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

"How would you rate the support you received?"

How do you reply to this question? I've gotten this email a bunch of times now and I never know how to react. Sure, the support people are friendly and they get back to you relatively quickly and that's good and all. But what about the bug I reported? It's nice to hear things like:

"We appreciate you letting us know about this problem with the API. That definitely is not working as intended. I will pass your report directly to our technical staff for investigation and review."

But what does that tell me? Will the bug get fixed? And if so when? And shouldn't they ask me what I think of their support after those other question have been answered?

So which is it? "Good, I'm satisfied" or "Bad, I'm unsatisfied"? For me it's neither at this point. The bug still exists after all... --  pecoes  12:51, July 21, 2012 (UTC) 

Really a matter of opinion, if you feel any sign if negative means, then mark it bad, you feel it is all good, mark it good. Click the box that you think is necessary. -- 13:13, July 21, 2012 (UTC)
Pecoes, you gave them info on the bug. They'll need to use that info to detect in which file it is, what it is like etc. Wikia's codebase is enormous, please be patient. :) TK-999 (talk) 13:17, July 21, 2012 (UTC)
Sure. I'm patient. Fixing bugs can take a bit of time. I know that. But the mail asking me what I think of their support arrived now. They most likely haven't even begun to look at this bug - it's the weekend after all - but they already want to know what I think of their support. That's what puzzles me. --  pecoes  13:26, July 21, 2012 (UTC) 

(Reset indent) It might also be automatically sent. For me, they also arrive after I receive an official response. TK-999 (talk) 13:36, July 21, 2012 (UTC)

Yes, I suspect as much. Well, I replied with "Good, I'm satisfied." now. Not because I'm satisfied - nothing has happened yet - but because it's far too early to say otherwise. But still: This is awkward. --  pecoes  16:20, July 21, 2012 (UTC) 
I think it's annoying that we hear that the bug has been passed onto the technical team, then hear no more. It's impossible to know if the bug is taking time to fix or they've just forgotten about it, or they think they've fixed it but actually haven't--Category:Acer4666 16:32, July 21, 2012 (UTC)
I'm starting to think Wikia needs a public bug tracker. Just a few days ago I wrote in another forum that would be overkill, but I've changed my mind. Some clarity and transparency would be helpful. What bugs are there? What's their priority? Have they been assigned? Have they been fixed? Will they be fixed? What bugs have been classified as bogus? Among other benefits this would also remove a major source of tension between Staff and users. --  pecoes  21:18, July 21, 2012 (UTC) 
I've been thinking about that myself but figured it might actually cause additional tension between staff and users due to, for example: under-prioritizing bugs (why does my important bug report have such a low priority?), the time it takes for some bugs to get fixed, closing or dismissing bug reports that describe unreproducible issues (why did they close my ticket even though I still see the issue?).
Technical Update blog posts usually contain a description of the most prominent bugs, so as soon as they are back up again, we'll be able to tell if the big issues are being solved. Sovq 06:50, July 22, 2012 (UTC)
I think both sides stand to benefit from public bug tracking. For example, if we can easily see what bugs there are, it might also help to reduce the amount of unnecessary duplicate reports, which in turn would safe staff some time as well. I can't tell you how many times I've reported something and gotten "Yep, that bug is known, we're fixing it." Sometimes more confirms help, but most of the time, once staff have reproduced and queued it, no more reports should be needed. 20px_Rin_Tohsaka_Avatar.png Mathmagician ƒ(♫) 07:21 UTC, Sun, 22 July 2012
At this very moment I'm answering a bug report I got about one of my own scripts. Except it's not my bug. It's the exact same one that I just reported to Staff. It would certainly be nice if I could reply with a link to the bug tracker. --  pecoes  08:03, July 22, 2012 (UTC) 
EDIT: @Sovq: I disagree. Currently Wikia thanks all users with warm and kind words for their bug reports and feature requests. Then they proceed to either fix the code or delete the report. Which it is, you don't know. That gives users the feeling they're not supposed to know. Worse: It creates the feeling that Wikia refuses to admit - let alone discuss - problems. But if there was a public bug-tracker, admittance and discussion would not only become possible but also quite easy. If somebody complains that his/her bug ranks too low, Staff could tell them: "We currently have quite a few bugs that are rated 'severe'. Take a look at them, please, we think you'll agree they're more severe. And once we're done with them, it's high time to go through the feature requests again. That's why your report is ranked so low. Sorry about that." If a user refuses to understand that he/she cannot be helped. --  pecoes  08:24, July 22, 2012 (UTC)