Community Central
Community Central
(Created page with "{{Forumheader|General Discussion}} <!-- Please put your content under this line. Be sure to sign your edits with four tildes: ~~~~ If you require staff help, please use Sp...")

(Reply)

(5 intermediate revisions by 4 users not shown)
Line 7: Line 7:

But now you've ''really'' crossed the line here. You've changed categories. Instead of looking like simple, bulleted lists, which is how 99% of every wiki out there not on Wikia is, now it's just a bunch of square images lined up. You can't see as many items per page, and you don't need to see a picture of what the page is before you click on it. And as you probably know by now, I'm extremely mad about this. Wikia used to be a simple Wiki site, where you could easily make a wiki. Now it's like Facebook with a wiki plug-in. [[User:Bwog|Bwog]] [[User Talk:Bwog|Talk]] 12:11, May 31, 2012 (UTC)

But now you've ''really'' crossed the line here. You've changed categories. Instead of looking like simple, bulleted lists, which is how 99% of every wiki out there not on Wikia is, now it's just a bunch of square images lined up. You can't see as many items per page, and you don't need to see a picture of what the page is before you click on it. And as you probably know by now, I'm extremely mad about this. Wikia used to be a simple Wiki site, where you could easily make a wiki. Now it's like Facebook with a wiki plug-in. [[User:Bwog|Bwog]] [[User Talk:Bwog|Talk]] 12:11, May 31, 2012 (UTC)
  +
  +
:From the sounds of it, the wiki you are on has the Category Exhibition feature enabled. You can revert to the classic look by clicking on the little icon next to the title at the top-right of any category page. {{User:Eladkse/SigReal|12:18,&nbsp;31/05/2012}}
  +
  +
::Ok, thanks. But I'm still mad about the fact that they force every update on everyone. But I doubt there's much I can do about it. 12:23, May 31, 2012 (UTC)
  +
  +
:::Yeah, there's nothing we can do about the big changes (skin, search, etc.), but as [[User blog:Dopp/Technical Update: May 30, 2012|this week's tech update]] shows, Staff do change their minds occasionally on the little things! {{User:Eladkse/SigReal|12:27,&nbsp;31/05/2012}}
  +
  +
:::Given admin rights, you could, y'know, call on [[Help:Wiki Features|Wiki Features]].--[[User:PedroM|PedroM]] 12:30, May 31, 2012 (UTC)
  +
  +
:Sometimes I find their updates useful. For example I prefer discussing by post-and-reply than editing a wiki page. There's no edit conflict, we can stay on the page to write something etc. (If there was a preview function on blog comment, it'd be perfectly nice.) And personally, I'm not against the idea of using lots of images on a wiki site, because as many multimedia things the site contains, as much I take pleasure in reading pages. I can't explain well my feeling, but there's something attractive about audiovisual things. Somehow, I agree with you on several points like the skin, or the picture attribution mark, and so on. {{User:Cafeinlove/Sig2|22:56, 2012-05-31 (UTC+9)}}
  +
  +
Hi there. Category Exhibition isn't mandatory. As PedroM alluded to, Category Exhibition can be turned on and off in the Wiki Features section of your Admin Dashboard. If you don't like Category Exhibition, you're welcome to turn that off for your wiki. I hope that clarifies things! - [[User:Brandon Rhea|<font color="#1A2BBB">'''Brandon Rhea'''</font>]]<staff /><sup>[[User talk:Brandon Rhea|<font color="#1A2BBB">(talk)</font>]]</sup> 15:01, May 31, 2012 (UTC)

Latest revision as of 15:01, 31 May 2012

Forums: Index General Discussion I'm pretty darn mad here
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 4340 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

You've ruined Wikia. Totally. I don't know who has, but anyone invovled should be fired. I mean that seriously. First, a year or 2 ago it was the new layout, which the old one was perfectly fine. Nobody was complaining. And there was all the stupid social things that they added, like showing who posted a picture, which normal wiki users don't care about one bit. Then there's the thing at the bottom of every page showing 'related' pages, which is what the See Also section is for. The comments I'm neutral about. The message wall on user's pages, again, is a stupid social thing. This isn't supposed to be Facebook, it's a wiki.

But now you've really crossed the line here. You've changed categories. Instead of looking like simple, bulleted lists, which is how 99% of every wiki out there not on Wikia is, now it's just a bunch of square images lined up. You can't see as many items per page, and you don't need to see a picture of what the page is before you click on it. And as you probably know by now, I'm extremely mad about this. Wikia used to be a simple Wiki site, where you could easily make a wiki. Now it's like Facebook with a wiki plug-in. Bwog Talk 12:11, May 31, 2012 (UTC)

From the sounds of it, the wiki you are on has the Category Exhibition feature enabled. You can revert to the classic look by clicking on the little icon next to the title at the top-right of any category page.    ǝsʞpɐןǝ  (message wall)  12:18, 31/05/2012
Ok, thanks. But I'm still mad about the fact that they force every update on everyone. But I doubt there's much I can do about it. 12:23, May 31, 2012 (UTC)
Yeah, there's nothing we can do about the big changes (skin, search, etc.), but as this week's tech update shows, Staff do change their minds occasionally on the little things!    ǝsʞpɐןǝ  (message wall)  12:27, 31/05/2012
Given admin rights, you could, y'know, call on Wiki Features.--PedroM 12:30, May 31, 2012 (UTC)
Sometimes I find their updates useful. For example I prefer discussing by post-and-reply than editing a wiki page. There's no edit conflict, we can stay on the page to write something etc. (If there was a preview function on blog comment, it'd be perfectly nice.) And personally, I'm not against the idea of using lots of images on a wiki site, because as many multimedia things the site contains, as much I take pleasure in reading pages. I can't explain well my feeling, but there's something attractive about audiovisual things. Somehow, I agree with you on several points like the skin, or the picture attribution mark, and so on.  Cafeinlove msg 22:56, 2012-05-31 (UTC+9)

Hi there. Category Exhibition isn't mandatory. As PedroM alluded to, Category Exhibition can be turned on and off in the Wiki Features section of your Admin Dashboard. If you don't like Category Exhibition, you're welcome to turn that off for your wiki. I hope that clarifies things! - Brandon Rhea(talk) 15:01, May 31, 2012 (UTC)