FANDOM


This Forum has been archived

Visit the new Forums
Forums: Index Support Requests Import pages no longer works on any wikia. What's going on?
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.

50px-Replacement filing cabinet.svg

Note: This topic has been unedited for 2031 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

Import pages hasn't worked for weeks now. I try importing my .XML files I exported from Wikipedia, and it says "Import failed: No pages to import." What's going on? When an article is up for deletion on Wikipedia, I try to transwiki it and its entire history to the appropriate wikia if there isn't an article for that already there. I also have a Wikipedia template and its related templates I'm trying to transwiki over now to use. Dream Focus 06:17, March 27, 2012 (UTC)

Yes, this has been an issue since Wikipedia upgraded to MediaWiki 1.19 and the exported files have now a slightly different structure. There's a new set of tags added to them:
<ns>0</ns>
....
<sha1 />
you can still import pages if you edit the .xml file and remove:
<ns>0</ns>
<sha1 />
from the file. I recommend reporting this through Special:Contact to get a more satisfying fix. Sovq 07:12, March 27, 2012 (UTC)
Hi Sovq a relate question then is what can you use to edit xml files then directly ? I came across this import not working problem a few weeks ago but thought it was just a upload glitch and went back to C&P method with backlink attribution as it was for image files rather than articles. 88.104.134.191 09:11, March 27, 2012 (UTC)
You can open them in a txt file then CTRL A to select everything, then paste it into Windows Works, and then use the Find Replace command to eliminate all things you don't want, and then save it as an xml file. That formerly worked for me. Dream Focus 13:26, March 27, 2012 (UTC)
Now I get Import failed: XML import parse failure at line 1, col 1 (byte 0; ): Not well-formed (invalid token) so that didn't work for me. Dream Focus 13:26, March 27, 2012 (UTC)
That's odd, I managed to import a page from Wikipedia successfully a few minutes ago. Make sure you only remove the two lines of code mentioned above and don't change anything else, including character encoding or line breaks. I tend to do such changes in Notepad or Wordpad. More sophisticated tools have a tendency to alter the text on their own. It might be of significance that I used the "Include only the current revision, not the full history" option while exporting. Sovq 15:49, March 27, 2012 (UTC)